Any comparable amp less expensive than an RSA hornet?
Mar 16, 2007 at 6:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

jun41

100+ Head-Fier
I'm running out of cash fast and I need to sell some stuff to try out some more headphones
smily_headphones1.gif
. Selling my M hornet will help but I still need a portable amp to drive my super.fi 5's.

So my plan is to sell the hornet, use that money to get my hands on a decent, less expensive amp and store the leftover cash in my small headphone fund.

Any suggestions? I listen to a little bit of everything (rock, rap, blues, classical, etc. etc.).

Mar 16, 2007 at 6:28 AM Post #2 of 33
The Portaphile amps you can customize as much or little as you want. They have a comparable sound, So I have heard.

Mar 16, 2007 at 7:10 AM Post #5 of 33
PINT compares very well with the Hornet, and it works well with my Ety. No noise whatsoever. I know there was one up for sale recently.

Mar 16, 2007 at 7:20 AM Post #6 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by dr.morton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If I am not mistaken, the newest version of the Headphonia amp is supposed to use the same Opamp as the Hornet. But this is hearsay.

Do you know if the Headphone has a ground channel or not? When I looked at the board of the Hornet back in 2005 at the meet in San Jose, I saw a splitter but no ground channel. Unless that has changed, that's going to make a substantial difference sonically from an amp that does (such as the PINT).

Mar 16, 2007 at 7:28 AM Post #7 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by nibiyabi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Tomahawk?
very_evil_smiley.gif

thats not any cheaper.

Mar 16, 2007 at 9:01 AM Post #10 of 33
I would have thought that the Super.fi 5 Pro would not need an amp. If it does, then I guess I'm even happier that I decided to go for the ER-4S.

Do you seriously get much of an improvement with the Super.fi's using the Hornet?

Mar 16, 2007 at 10:42 AM Post #11 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaska /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would have thought that the Super.fi 5 Pro would not need an amp. If it does, then I guess I'm even happier that I decided to go for the ER-4S.

Do you seriously get much of an improvement with the Super.fi's using the Hornet?

The SF5 doesn't need the hornet but it definitely sounds much 'better with it. The hornet was used to power my HD650s before the PPX3 came along. I got the SF5 later and it just so happened that the hornet was there as my portable.

As for now I'm looking at the Go-Vibe6 as a potential option. What do you guys think?

Mar 16, 2007 at 12:11 PM Post #13 of 33
Portaphile maxxed is around $250. And totally customizable for gain, bandwidth, etc. Check out their website Less than Tomahawk or Hornet

Mar 16, 2007 at 7:55 PM Post #14 of 33
See, the thing is I just want a portable amp for my IEM's. I have a PPX3 for my full size headphones and my main goal is to make as much money possible by selling my hornet and buying a new amp. Is the Go-vibe 6 worth it? It's <$100 and seems perfect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back