Any Compact Flash Portable Players?
Jul 8, 2008 at 2:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Spadge

500+ Head-Fier
Hi there,

I'm currently in the market for a new portable player.

I have been looking at the D2 or the Sansa Fuze, but am wondering if there are any players out there that can take Compact Flash memory cards as extra memory? I have a 32GB card sitting here full of music and I would love to be able to use that.

It must sound decent too
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks for any help

Paul

Jul 8, 2008 at 3:01 AM Post #2 of 6
You can hack a CF card in an iPod Mini with a little effort. As for actually accepting CF cards in an expansion slot, there hasn't been any of those in ages.

Jul 8, 2008 at 3:08 AM Post #3 of 6
Yeah I have been reading that thread with great interest. However I don't know if I trust myself to be able to do the mods myself (I was born with 10 thumbs!).

A modded mini + LOD + xin Supermicro would be pretty sweet I reckon!

Paul

Jul 8, 2008 at 5:17 AM Post #4 of 6
The mod is pretty easy to do. You shouldn't have to worry too much about dismantling it. The iPod 4th Gen, iRiver Hxx, iRiver 3xx can use a 32GB CF with a 1.8" to CF adapter. The iPod 5th Gen Video can use a 32GB CF as well with a ZIF to CF adapter. The Rio Karma and I think the Carbon also supports CF, although I'm not sure how the mod is actually done on the Rio players. These are a little harder than the iPod Mini, and require more parts, which add to the expenses, but there isn't a player that I know of that willingly accepts CF cards. I modded my iRiver easily, and I have pictures @ the link in my sig. It's the same procedure for most other players with a few extra steps here and there, gives you a feel of the ease.

Jul 8, 2008 at 5:42 AM Post #6 of 6
Frontier Labs NexBlack (available on eBay quite cheaply) take Compact Flash cards. Nice players and work fine with my two 32 GB CF cards. They take AA batteries which is a plus in my book. No video or fancy screen (just LCD), but do play MP3 and Ogg nicely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back