Any closet Ety ER-4B users?
Mar 14, 2002 at 10:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

BenG

500+ Head-Fier
I'm about ready to order some etys for use strictly with an amp, yet for some reason I'm thinking about the 4Bs
eek.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

The Etymotic graph shows about a 5db drop in the 4S 10khz response. It doesn't make sense to me that a difference of 5 db would make the 4Bs so bright as to be unconsidered for well made stereo recordings.

I read the claims of audio studies that suggest a 4-10db boost in high-end response of recordings is needed to off set normal room colorations, and that:

"The ER-4S has been designed with a gradual rolloff in the high frequencies and is well suited for all types of stereo recording reproduction. "

All types of recordings? Alot of popular recordings are loud, compressed, and processed in the upper regions from what I've heard, so yes, you would probably want a roll-off if you listen to lousy recordings. But what if you listen to primarily, newer jazz and classical recordings -- Do engineers really boost the highs for this type of muisc? hmm

For the hell of it, I took my 7506s(which have pretty flat response) and played some test tones, sine sweeps, and what I believe to be well made CDs of mostly jazz music. I compared a flat response on Winamp to an approx. 5db. drop at 12kHz. To me, I thought the flatter response sounded better and more real.

Any one compared the 4B vs. 4S.?

Mar 14, 2002 at 10:33 AM Post #2 of 7
Somebody didn't use the search button...
very_evil_smiley.gif

May 7, 2003 at 12:27 PM Post #7 of 7
I'm off my cymbal loving, treble digging streak for good, after having heard some brass in two live performances. That stuff was unbearably bright and loud in real life...no way I want that reproduced into my ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back