Any closed circumaural cans sound similar to HD600/HD650?
Dec 30, 2008 at 8:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Packgrog

500+ Head-Fier
I've been using Future Sonics Atrio m5 IEMs for quite a while now, but now that I no longer commute via train, they're becoming somewhat tedious. I've also been having fit issues with the v2 design for some reason, particularly in my right ear. I haven't been using them as much given how much of a hassle it is to get them inserted properly, and comfort is increasingly becoming a problem, especially with my recurring problems with ear infections thanks to excessively dry air.

At the meets I've been to (one in NYC, one in Chapel Hill, NC), I've been most impressed with the sound of the Sennheiser HD650. It was the closest ful-sized cans I heard with the treble smoothness and bass feel to match the positive aspects of the Atrio. I couldn't stand the K701, and have found my Beyerdynamic DT250-80's to have an absolutely anemic low-end compared to my Atrio (despite the comfort), so I need to replace them with something I'll actually enjoy. I'd happily pick up the HD600, except that 95% of my listening is done in an office environment, and trying my office mate's Grado S80's proved that my listening volume is far too high for open cans. Doh!

So I'm looking for some recommendations on good closed cans. Cost higher than the HD650 is absolutely not feasible (so high-end woody 'phones are out), though cost close to the HD600 may be workable within this year (ie: $200-$300). Warmth and smoothness are of equal importance to me as soundstaging and detail, possibly more, given my distaste for sibilant highs and weak lows. Comfort is also important.

Thoughts?

Dec 30, 2008 at 9:14 PM Post #3 of 16
I have yet to find anything with a presentation better than the DT250 with respect to treble smoothness.

oddly, the dt250-80 seems to vary from pair to pair with bass presence - I returned a pair to B&H with too much for me - what is your serial number?

Dec 30, 2008 at 10:57 PM Post #5 of 16
As shown in my signature, I'd mostly be using my Monica 3 -> iBasso D1 combo. This has almost too much output power for my Atrio (I have almost no volume control before it gets too loud). A desktop amp may be in the cards after new cans.

My DT250's are rather old: from about 2001 I believe. They got a lot of use before I switched to IEMs, and have gotten almost no use after I got accustomed to the Future Sonics sound signature, since it seems like the bass is annoyingly weak for my taste. Great 'phones, very comfy, but now too analytical for me, and most people call them "warm". Go figure.

Jan 5, 2009 at 4:15 PM Post #7 of 16
Is portability important for you? If it is you should consider the ESW9, if it isn't the D2000 is a good choice. Neither are exactly similar to the HD600/HD650, but they are pretty much the closest you can get.

Jan 5, 2009 at 4:28 PM Post #9 of 16
No matter how similar or different they are to the HD600/HD650, if you like the Atrios you'll love the D2000, they'll give you the same big and powerful bass that the Atrios give.

Jan 5, 2009 at 4:45 PM Post #10 of 16
I don't know how the DT770 Pro 80s compare to the DT250s in other respects, but they have massive bass (not boomy, though, tight and rigorously controlled.) They only cost me $150, and I like them better than my K701s which cost twice that!

Jan 5, 2009 at 6:12 PM Post #11 of 16
Portability is not an issue. I still have my Atrio for that.
smily_headphones1.gif

And again, I'm looking for full-size, circumaural cans here (not sure if the ESW9 fit the bill on that, since I haven't seen any photos showing their relative size). Nothing that rests ON my ears, just cans that surround them.

That said, thanks for the recommendations! If only someone at the upcoming meet in Charlotte were bringing any of them. :/

Jan 5, 2009 at 10:10 PM Post #12 of 16
Ah, given the frequency graphs at Headroom, it looks like the Denon AH-D5000 may be the best bet (the AH-D2000 seems to have a drop-off in the upper-mids). The D5000 is quite pricey though. This, however, WILL be making an appearance at the Charlotte meet, so I should be able to try them out. Nice! Time to start saving pennies.

Any OTHER suggestions?

Jan 7, 2009 at 5:29 PM Post #14 of 16
D2000's and D5000's are pretty much the same headphone, for what it's worth. Played in an office setting unamped (presumably), the D2000's are a MUCH better deal regarding price vs. SQ, at less than half the price. D5000's are a great headphone though, don't get me wrong.

Jan 7, 2009 at 5:46 PM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Packgrog /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thoughts?

Sennheiser HD25-1 II.
If you like the sennheiser house sound, stick with sennheiser.
Sadly, they are on-ear headphones, but NOTHING like grados.

I'd say give one a try and see what you think. Compare it to the D2000 you're also considering.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back