Any Chet Atkins fans here?
May 15, 2003 at 1:42 AM Post #2 of 12
My bother-in-law produced his Cinemax Sessions special back in the 80s.

May 15, 2003 at 2:27 AM Post #3 of 12
Except when he sings.
eek.gif

May 15, 2003 at 5:37 AM Post #4 of 12
I've been a fan of Chet's music since I discovered him in the mid 1950s. I met him in 1974 and worked with him on several projects.

My interest in better headphones grew out of my experience of learning from his recordings.

For anyone looking for an introduction to Chet's music, I'd recommend the Sony CD of Chet's Grammy-winning performances. It got everything from solos to collaborations with Les Paul, Merle Travis, and Mark Knopfler.

John

May 15, 2003 at 6:07 AM Post #5 of 12
Wow!!

My dad had a few of Chet's records as far back as I can remember. After finding the new CD issue of "Guitar Country", I had to go out and get MORE of his CDs. Besides, my old cassettes had long since worn out - and humming along with whatever was playing through my memory just doesn't satisfy.

It was great to hear "Winter Walkin'" again without the big ol' skip in the middle of the tune that the old record had.

Recently, I've been wondering if 1000's of hours on the headphones were a waste - and if I should just sell all my CDs, beloved Denon, and glorious AKGs - and buy a guitar and take some lessons. Or is this something that happens when you turn 40?

My wife says that, sooner or later, I'd miss my audio stuff. She's usually right.

May 15, 2003 at 5:47 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by rohorn
It was great to hear "Winter Walkin'" again without the big ol' skip in the middle of the tune that the old record had.

Heehee! I used to have a Buddy Rich album that had a scratch/pop in it as well. Every time I listen to the cd I keep expecting to hear it. I'm old...
very_evil_smiley.gif

May 15, 2003 at 8:51 PM Post #7 of 12
I'm a guitarist/pianist that began listening to Chet in the late '50's. He was a HUGE influence on me. I have an extensive Chet record collection, have seen him in concert twice, and consider this guy most worthy of his title..."The Country Gentleman".

I just received a set of CD's by Merle Travis called Guitar Rags and A Too Fast Past (five disc set w/history book).

This is the guy Chet listened to and emulated. Merle was the prototype "finger picking style" guitarist. When you listen to this guy, you're hearing the roots of Chet Atkins.

My parents used to dance to the departed Merle Travis in Van Nuys, Downey, and Placentia California during the late 40's/early50's... bought 78 rpm records which I still own (and can still play on my old Zenith Cobra Head console phonograph).

Merle and Chet were my guitar mentors.

May 15, 2003 at 8:57 PM Post #8 of 12
there's a guitarist in Tulsa by the name of Tommy Crook that Chet said is the best guitarist in the world...

May 15, 2003 at 9:06 PM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by archosman
there's a guitarist in Tulsa by the name of Tommy Crook that Chet said is the best guitarist in the world...

I've read that.

He said the same of Earl Klugh and Mark Knopfler when he recorded with these guys. Chet was very complementary in his final years.

smily_headphones1.gif

May 15, 2003 at 11:34 PM Post #10 of 12
I am embarrassed to admit that I'd never listened to Chet until I purchased Neck and Neck and was blown away?not by Knopfler but by Atkins.

What joy to find new music.

May 16, 2003 at 12:10 AM Post #11 of 12
That's high on my "I'm gonna git" list. What I've heard with Mark and Chet together has been very complimetary of both players. I get the impression that Mark was not playing as if he felt threatened. It sounded more like he was both having fun and content with being the accompaniment. Or at least that's how I hear it...

I can't say the same about Earl Klugh's duets with ol' Chet.

In the mean time, I'm enjoying the One Way Record's releases of about 19 of the RCA albums. It is weird to experience mono(phonic) with headphones - again.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 16, 2003 at 3:52 AM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by RickG
I'm a guitarist/pianist that began listening to Chet in the late '50's. He was a HUGE influence on me. I have an extensive Chet record collection, have seen him in concert twice, and consider this guy most worthy of his title..."The Country Gentleman".

I just received a set of CD's by Merle Travis called Guitar Rags and A Too Fast Past (five disc set w/history book).

This is the guy Chet listened to and emulated. Merle was the prototype "finger picking style" guitarist. When you listen to this guy, you're hearing the roots of Chet Atkins.

My parents used to dance to the departed Merle Travis in Van Nuys, Downey, and Placentia California during the late 40's/early50's... bought 78 rpm records which I still own (and can still play on my old Zenith Cobra Head console phonograph).

Merle and Chet were my guitar mentors.

Rick,

It sounds like we share some serious musical influences. For me, the best thing about learning from Chet's recordings was the variety of music and musicians that I encountered. Also, every new Chet record (LPs for me) was full of musical and technical surprises.

For those who don't know, Merle Travis grew up in Muhlenburg County, Kentucky where thumb picking guitar is the local "cash crop." They have reconstructed the house where Merle was born and they hold regular jam sessions. When they all get together, a group of twenty, thirty or more will play tunes like "Cannon Ball Rag" and "I'll See You in My Dreams." It's beyond description.

In Drakesboro, KY the streets are named after the local guitar legends including Merle Travis, Ike Everly (father of the brothers), Mose Rager (the local barber who taught almost everyone), John Prine, and many more.

You've got me started. Think I'll sign off and go play guitar.

John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back