Any cheaper alternatives to the AD-2000x ?
Nov 22, 2016 at 5:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

tigiboy2

New Head-Fier
Hey folks,

listened to the sound demo of the Audio Technica AD-2000x from Z Reviews on YouTube... and kinda was suprised how such hifi-headphones can sound. I think I kinda found my personal sound signature on this headphone and have fallen in love for the first time in my life with a pair of headphones. The only downside- 800$. It feels like my world has been shattered in millions of pieces, I have been pushed away to the infinity of space.

And I'm just asking myself: is there anybody out there saving me from this mess, showing me the wonderful world of headphones/music with a cheaper option (<400$) ?

But why is it the 2000x which has impressed me ? Well, I do love music in general who has a big/wide soundstage(classical music). The vocals with cristal clear/natural quality is what I'm seeking for (pop, etc.). Muddiness is something I can't stand. And bass is something I don't want to hear overextended. And the 2000x is kinda the type of headphones delivering tight bass which is how it should be according to my personal likes. 

You ask me maybe why not just wait longer, save more money and then buy it ? Well, the thing is my mother declared me to buy me a pair headphones for a limited budget. Not for my birthday, but because I'll be graduating from "high school" (in Germany you call it "Gymnasium"). And seeing her buying a pair of headphones for rougly 800€ would be kinda a heart shock for her. 

I do know that the world of headphones is big, the amount of varieties and sound signatures of the headphones. 

If you can manage to list some headphones meeting my budget requierements and my sound signature/taste, I would be really be glad and you would make me the happiest human being in the world.

Best regards.

@tigiboy2

PS: I'll just put the link of the sound demo right here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7OYVQApMtM&t=393s
Is it also bad to say that I'm gonna listen to my music with my new and first pair of Hifi headphones on my iPhone ? Meaning would be a huge let down ?

Nov 22, 2016 at 8:50 PM Post #2 of 5
Granted, I only own the ad900x, but I think its safe to say, to answer your question simply: no. I have tried and own many headphones, but there seems to be something special about the open Air series that no other headphones can do. I wish there was a cheaper alternative, I would buy it in a second. But I think if you really love the 2000x your best bet would be to save your hard earned dollars and buy it when your bank account wont slap you across the face.

Nov 22, 2016 at 9:00 PM Post #3 of 5
Granted, I only own the ad900x, but I think its safe to say, to answer your question simply: no. I have tried and own many headphones, but there seems to be something special about the open Air series that no other headphones can do. I wish there was a cheaper alternative, I would buy it in a second. But I think if you really love the 2000x your best bet would be to save your hard earned dollars and buy it when your bank account wont slap you across the face.

Agreed.  I have had my original ATH-AD2000s re-cabled twice due to wear and the fact that I can't find anything else that sounds like them.  Many people don't like the ATH-AD sound, but if you do, there aren't many other options.

Dec 7, 2016 at 10:39 PM Post #4 of 5

Agreed.  I have had my original ATH-AD2000s re-cabled twice due to wear and the fact that I can't find anything else that sounds like them.  Many people don't like the ATH-AD sound, but if you do, there aren't many other options.

I agree the original AD2000s are quite unique,cant really compare them to anything because they do different types of music well,where others that may sound similar in some genres dont in others.

AKG K240 sextett MP has a similar fwd aggressive guitar sound,so i like both for metal,but dont do trance music nearly as well the ADs do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back