Any CDP better than Linn Ikemi that costs less?
Aug 19, 2003 at 7:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Vka

100+ Head-Fier
I recently sold my SCD-1 and have decided to get a middle of the pack CDP to hold me over for a year or two until I spurge on something rediculous like Linn CD-12 or Meitner SACD/DAC combo.
The choice I have narrowed down to is the Linn Ikemi (retail $3595) as I prefer rythmic detail sound with excellent low level resolution, soundstage, and speed. According to many reviews, its suppose to top Meridian 588, Cary and some even go as high as the Levinson 390S.
The SCD-1 was good, but I found it to be a tad cold and dry, although it had plenty of dynamics and slam. And despite the sacd section being good, I was not overly impressed on the SACD and CD difference. I think the music engineering has alot to do with the quality of the sound.
If anyone has any suggestions, feel free to offer your ideas. And no, I do not like overly buttery smooth sound like the Cary CDPs. I also do not like to do mods on CDP like many have done with their 555ES.
Thanks!

Aug 19, 2003 at 8:04 PM Post #2 of 16
Try to find a used Electrocompaniet EMC-1 UP on Audiogon. They're hard to find since almost no one sells theirs after getting it, but I see them every so often. Heavy little boogers, but their sound is simply stellar. Ed Maloof on eBay imports them as grey market units brand new with all the latest upgrades directly from Norway for $3300, but you lose out on any future upgrades and repairs in the states. It is simply one fabulous machine that is so musical, detailed, and enjoyable.

Aug 19, 2003 at 9:27 PM Post #4 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by Vka
The choice I have narrowed down to is the Linn Ikemi (retail $3595) as I prefer rythmic detail sound with excellent low level resolution, soundstage, and speed. According to many reviews, its suppose to top Meridian 588, Cary and some even go as high as the Levinson 390S.

your discription of Ikemi is spot on. It really doesn't have the same disposition as any of the CDPs you've mentioned. Not necessarily better or worse, they all have different flavors. I am hardpressed if you like Ikemi, you'd warm up to Cary for instance. Meridian is good, but bit more heavy handed than Ikemi. ( think Krell-wanna be ) Hope Levinson 390s is better than its predecessor 39s. ( even handed competent player, but its DAC section lacked in excitement. Altho, its transport was excellent )

Electrocompaniet player is also viable choice for many since it won't offend. It does not have the same pacing of Ikemi. So, if you value pace, you'd probably find it somewhat lacklustre. Also be wary that early units had mechanical problems.

You know what surprised me. Bel Canto DAC2 partnered with Ikemi's transport actually sounded better to my ears than Ikemi alone. ( mine is V1. through the grape vine, there is an upgrade to the recent Ikemi, but, i haven't ABed it )
Actually, DAC2 even sounds pretty decent even with my yamaha burner.
eek.gif

Just an idea, but you can probably use Phillips or Sony transport with DAC2 and get pretty groovy sound out of them a la Ikemi.

Wadia is a good choice. However they can sound rather stark comparatively to Ikemi. ( I haven't heard the recent models. Only up to 860 )
Incidentally, DAC 2 is designed by the same dude who used to design for Wadia. But, DAC2's upsampling makes it *less* in your face and cold.

The thing is, sub 4k category, you won't find too many *Ikemi* sounding players. They all tend to sound smoooooth and boring to emulate that audiophile sound. I sure haven't found one.

It won't have a designer *badge*, but it'll tie you over till CD12 or Meitner which are worth saving for.
wink.gif

Aug 20, 2003 at 3:14 AM Post #5 of 16
Here are two choices in the price range your talking on the used market. Audio Research CD3 and the Audio Aero Capitole 24/192 MKI.

Aug 20, 2003 at 7:48 AM Post #6 of 16
Hi Vka.

Have you already heard the Ikemi? I'm asking, since you are talking about reviews and how other people think the Ikemi performs...

But back to the topic...

When I was in the market for a CDP I auditioned a large number of players. And I also auditioned the Ikemi.

kuma is right when he says, that there are not much players in that price range with a sound comparable to the Ikemi.

I didn't like the Ikemi very much as I found it to be a little lifeless and unengageing. In the end I got the Arcam CD 23t wich I found to be more musical and unfatiguing. But this is just my opinion.

In this price range there are many players that you could audition. The Electrocompaniet is a great player. You could also consider a player from Naim, but they have a very different "house sound" than the Ikemi. You could also think about a Burmester 006 wich sounds very analog to me. There are a few german companies who make really great players like T+A, Audionet and AVM Audio...

But you really should audiotion all the players that you are considering. Because I would never buy a piece of equipment in this price range just on reviews.

Hope this helps.

Lukas

Aug 20, 2003 at 8:27 AM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by Der Wolf

I didn't like the Ikemi very much as I found it to be a little lifeless and unengageing. In the end I got the Arcam CD 23t wich I found to be more musical and unfatiguing. But this is just my opinion.

Arcam's Ring DAC does offer better top end extension than Ikemi. But, I'd say they sit on the oppossite house sound.

Ikemi indeed is a strange player in that, it imposes less of its personality to the rest of the system. I've tried many different system combination with the player and the system can sound anywhere from down right boring to one of the best thing since a sliced bread.
wink.gif

Hits and Misses:

1. VTL TL5.5/VTL TT/Solilquy 5.0s: immediate but slowish
2. Krell 25s/Krell FPB 250M/Avalon Eclipse : Immediate not bad not bad. at leaset in the midrange and tune carrying ability
3. VTL TL 5.5/VTL TT/Watt 6 : Immediate but slowish
4. VTL TL 5.5/Wilson Cubs II/ : Immediate but slowish
5. JRDG Concentra/ Aerial 5 : Laid back boring
6. JRDG concentra/ATC : in your face. bordering unlistenable
7. Primare 30.1A/ soliloquy 5.0s: laid back boring
8. Copland 301/VTL TT/ Watt 6 : upbeat but laticent
9. YBA 2/ VTL TT/ Watt 6: laid back boring
10. JRDG concentra/Watt 6: a total sleeper
11. Art Audio VPL DM/ Art Audio PX-25/Soliloquy 5.0s : Immediate
12. Quicksilver/VTL TT/Soliloquy: Immediate
13. Nagra PL-L/VTL TT/Soliloquy: Immediate
14. VTL TL 5.5/Nagra MPA/Solilquy: fat and slow. bordering unlistenable
15. Art Audio Concerto II/VPL/ATC: exciting and groovy

Naim, I think is closer to Ikemi. but the CD5 doesn't have nearly the resolution of Ikemi. imho.

It is a good point, however, I assumed he already listened to Ikemi in his rig. And it is a sensible recommendation for a home demo.

Aug 20, 2003 at 8:32 AM Post #8 of 16
If you have the opportunity, check out the Cyrus top of the line player. It was just review in What Hi-Fi? and is said to have a very exciting, dynamic and detailed sound (far from 'smooth, boring audiophile'). They reviewed the CD6, but also heard the CD8 (similar but improved in all aspects). I believe it's slightly under the cost of an Ikemi (if not it's pretty close).

Unfortunately Cyrus products are difficult to come by in the US due to there being no real distributor. I believe you can purchase from Cyrus direct though.

-dd3mon

Aug 20, 2003 at 12:50 PM Post #9 of 16
To my ears, non-oversampling players without a digital filter are the most resolving, dynamic, transparent, engaging and musical ones. I much prefer this simple solution to any oversampling DAC or CDP I have ever listened to, including the Ikemi. As a single box CDP, the Audio Note CD2.1x retails for US$1.500, and the tweaked out Audio Note CD3.1x (with Black Gate capacitors) retails for US$2.500.

Another option is the Shigaraki transport and DAC combo by 47 Laboratory. The price for the Shigaraki combo ought to be slightly below that of the Ikemi.

Aug 20, 2003 at 1:15 PM Post #10 of 16
Here are some names you could look at that have not been mentioned:

Balanced Audio Technology
Proceed
Simaudio
Symphonic Line
YBA
Musical Fidelity
Audiomecca
Camelot Technology
Dodson Audio
Sonic Frontiers

Aug 20, 2003 at 2:40 PM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

To my ears, non-oversampling players without a digital filter are the most resolving, dynamic, transparent, engaging and musical ones.

That's exactely my thought...maybe try to find a Studer D730 or D731 used (in Europe it's about $ 3000- 3500 ) Really hard to find 'cause every owner seem to keep it ! About the sound, well it's like you're listening to the master tape; no more, no less.

Aug 21, 2003 at 12:51 AM Post #12 of 16
I agree with Tomcat. KISS all the way.

And Kuma, he knows his stuff. Listen to the wise little doggie avatar!

What was that awesome metie combo you mentioned to me??
Think you can use a different xsport with similar results???

k.s.

Aug 21, 2003 at 4:50 AM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by Tomcat

Another option is the Shigaraki transport and DAC combo by 47 Laboratory. The price for the Shigaraki combo ought to be slightly below that of the Ikemi.

A good reco. Whilst they don't sound exactly like Ikemi, they share a tune carrying ability. I thought they would be about the same as Ikemi price wise.

Aug 21, 2003 at 2:53 PM Post #14 of 16
Unfortunately, I do not have the chance to audition any of these fine sources as I have to trust my luck and other people's judgement. Of course, if I do not like it, you'll see me selling it immediately.

And even if I did had the chance to audition, I need a long term audition session to truely understand the equipment, not just some 1-2 hour session. Obviously I can eliminate easy dislikes, but it would be HARD to choose between two excellent products that I found both to my liking with having a home audition for several days in my own setup.

For example I had a chance to own a hot rod Cary 300 SEI amp with Sophia Electric 300B tubes which in my opinion blew away the WE 300B tubes. Upon owning it, I thought, the Cary sounded better than my DCT-1. I mean, it surely sounded like it had better dynamics, more deeper bass and better extended highs. Had I never owned both and auditioned both briefly in a store, I might have grabbed the Cary since it sounded more hifish at that time. But this was not the case thank god. After listening to them for 1 week total, I knew I preffered the DCT-1 over it in every way. It had more bass volume wise, rounder but more soothing highs and the midrange much richer, more weight and intimate. On the whole, to me, the Cary sounded separated and the DCT-1 more musical.

Anyhow, one of the biggest reasons I preferred the Linn Ikemi because it has 2 analog outputs which I need since I have 2 headphone systems: electrostatic and dynamic. It really is a hassle for me to keep switching cables in the back. And used, it runs for $1800-$2000 which is a bargain in my opinion. New is a ripoff at $3300 street.

Aug 21, 2003 at 4:12 PM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by Vka
For example I had a chance to own a hot rod Cary 300 SEI amp with Sophia Electric 300B tubes which in my opinion blew away the WE 300B tubes. Upon owning it, I thought, the Cary sounded better than my DCT-1. I mean, it surely sounded like it had better dynamics, more deeper bass and better extended highs. Had I never owned both and auditioned both briefly in a store, I might have grabbed the Cary since it sounded more hifish at that time. But this was not the case thank god. After listening to them for 1 week total, I knew I preffered the DCT-1 over it in every way. It had more bass volume wise, rounder but more soothing highs and the midrange much richer, more weight and intimate. On the whole, to me, the Cary sounded separated and the DCT-1 more musical.

From my experiments, a tendency is that Ikemi sounds good with slightly warm *round* sound TUBE gear. I've used it with VTL Tiny Triodes to good effect for a long time.

Wheather DCT-1's sweet characteristics complement Ikemi or work synagisticaly, as you said, you gotta try it yourself to see.

Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back