Any cans let external sound in but not music out?
Oct 13, 2006 at 3:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

BDub

New Head-Fier
Probably a dumb newbie question, but will any headphones allow me to hear sounds (like someone trying to talk to me) while still keeping anyone from hearing my music?
Still trying to learn all the terms, but I guess what I'm looking for is only moderate "isolation". I dont know the term for "not letting any sound escape".
biggrin.gif

Thanks.

Oct 13, 2006 at 3:10 PM Post #3 of 12
Any closed can would be decent for this. They provide moderate isolation, but nowhere near IEM level. Sounds are muffled, but very audible.

Oct 13, 2006 at 3:14 PM Post #4 of 12
I would suggest that you avoid IEMs. I have a pair of super.fi 5 pros and I cannot even hear the phone that is 2 feet in front of my face even at low listening volumes.

Oct 13, 2006 at 3:31 PM Post #5 of 12
I think that is why the PTH 'push to hear' was recommended above. Great for conversations but wont help for phones - get one with a light on it

Oct 13, 2006 at 4:00 PM Post #6 of 12
Thanks for the info.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scotty757
Any closed can would be decent for this. They provide moderate isolation, but nowhere near IEM level. Sounds are muffled, but very audible.

So "closed" is the same as "sealed", no?
Maybe the lower-end Senns (HD201-280Pro) would work.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lipidicman
I think that is why the PTH 'push to hear' was recommended above. Great for conversations but wont help for phones - get one with a light on it

Thanks but "PTH" would not work as I wont always know when I need to hear (4 young children in the house).

Oct 13, 2006 at 4:24 PM Post #7 of 12
I find good closed headphones with low volume mean no-one hears your music, but you can still hear outside sounds.

On the other hand, give up. 4 kids! You will never get through a song my friend!

Oct 13, 2006 at 4:38 PM Post #8 of 12
Some nights I can get in a song or two if I get them all to sleep before I pass out from exhaustion.
blink.gif
lol

Oct 13, 2006 at 4:43 PM Post #9 of 12
K240s and MDRV6 should fit the bill nicely. They isolate but not as much as other closed cans. The AKG is semi-open.

Oct 13, 2006 at 7:45 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scotty757

Yeah, this is about right. Some are more isolating than others - the Sennheiser HD25-1 does a fair job of isolating out from the outside world. But others, such as the audio-technica ATH-ES7 has a relatively small impact in keeping out outside sound, while most closed headphones are good enough about leakage that they won't bother people sitting say across from you in the library, even if they aren't 100% silent.

Best regards,

-Jason

Oct 13, 2006 at 8:10 PM Post #11 of 12
Earbuds are great for this. You often hear people walking down the street with their iBuds blasting noisily, but trust me, anyone who listens at a decent level won't make a peep, at least I never did with my MX400's when I used those.

Oct 13, 2006 at 8:12 PM Post #12 of 12
Anything in-ear with a teensy diaphragm would do the trick, I'd think. The Stax SR-001 and its variants came to mind, but anything similar would work. About all anyone outside your sinuses would hear would be the very highest frequencies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back