Any Canal Phones Easy to Insert and Remove?
Dec 20, 2004 at 8:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

geardoc

100+ Head-Fier
I just picked up a pair of Sony EX51's and reallly like the way they are easy to insert and remove. Unlike my Shure E2's, I can use the EX51s at work where I am often interrupted and need to answer a question.

So, my question really should be "are there any easy to insert that have decent audio quality?" The EX51's are missing something in quality(no mids) and the E2's are a bit too difficult for frequent insertion/removal.

How's the E3's or Ety's in this regard? How about the other Sony's, Sharp, or others? I'd guess that the better ones have even more reliance on a good seal, thus making them more difficult to insert?

Dec 20, 2004 at 8:46 PM Post #2 of 29
The e3's are pretty easy to insert imo. I can insert them in seconds. However I do use the arm over the head technique that is used with the ety's. It just helps me get a better seal.

Dec 20, 2004 at 9:01 PM Post #3 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by number1sixerfan
The e3's are pretty easy to insert imo. I can insert them in seconds. However I do use the arm over the head technique that is used with the ety's. It just helps me get a better seal.

Yes, I use the two hand technique as well, though rarely on the EX51's. I assume the ease of insertion applies primarily to the rubber/silicone adapters and not to the foamies?

Dec 20, 2004 at 9:03 PM Post #4 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by geardoc
Yes, I use the two hand technique as well, though rarely on the EX51's. I assume the ease of insertion applies primarily to the rubber/silicone adapters and not to the foamies?

To the contrary, I find that the foamies insterted the easiest, followed by the soft flex and silicone sleeves. But this again is just my opinion.

Dec 20, 2004 at 9:13 PM Post #5 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by number1sixerfan
To the contrary, I find that the foamies insterted the easiest, followed by the soft flex and silicone sleeves. But this again is just my opinion.

On my E2's, the foamies need an extra bit of effort to insert. I roll them a bit before inserting. Then they get a good seal then when they expand. The two handed technique is nearly mandatory.

The E3's look like they can be worn either over the ear or hanging down, with the hanging being the quick way, i'd guess.

Dec 20, 2004 at 9:18 PM Post #6 of 29
Quote:

On my E2's, the foamies need an extra bit of effort to insert. I roll them a bit before inserting. Then they get a good seal then when they expand. The two handed technique is nearly mandatory.

The E3's look like they can be worn either over the ear or hanging down, with the hanging being the quick way, i'd guess.

I find no need to roll the foamies at all, but the two handed technique does seem mandatory for them. Also, I usually wear the e3's hangind down as it is the quickest way to put them on.

Dec 20, 2004 at 10:13 PM Post #7 of 29
I found the er-6 to very easy in this respect. I used them in school, so I took them out a quite a bit. I found the foamies to be a bit harder, since you have to roll them up and stuff. Sound quality is debatable, but for portable use, good stuff.

Dec 21, 2004 at 12:02 AM Post #8 of 29
I have the er6i's and I can get a pretty good seal with the triple flanges just taking one in each hand and pushing them in. It does improve however with the two handed method, and the foamies take the longest but seal the best and are most comfortable. But when I know I only have time for a song or 2 ill just push em in and the bass comes through nice and clear.

Dec 21, 2004 at 12:35 AM Post #9 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by dshook
I have the er6i's and I can get a pretty good seal with the triple flanges just taking one in each hand and pushing them in. It does improve however with the two handed method, and the foamies take the longest but seal the best and are most comfortable. But when I know I only have time for a song or 2 ill just push em in and the bass comes through nice and clear.

I can see that this thread is going to come down to an Ety vs Shure debate,
at least in my mind. There was a thread a few weeks back that said that the Shure's were easier to get in. I'm probably headed for the E3 because the brain burn-in effect is probably smaller than with the Ety's. How's that for a scientific reason?

The one thing I can count on in Head-Fi is the lightening effect it has on my wallet.

Dec 21, 2004 at 5:31 AM Post #10 of 29
I've never tried a Shure pair, but I'll say from my experience with the E6i that my ear canal changed shape to fit the triple flange tips. At first I needed at least 30 seconds with the two-handed technique to get them in, and when I did, the seal was absolutely phenomenal, almost unreal. I couldn't hear someone talking loudly five feet away from me with the music off. They were also uncomfortable as hell. But after a few weeks I could just slide them in with one hand and get the maximum seal my ear canal would allow. I think the seal is maybe a little less now, but it's still great, but they're quite comfortable for me now. I do have the problem with the triple flange tips coming off the phones as I take them out, though. I just have to hold the bottom of the flange against the body of the phone with my thumbnail as I take them out and that'll get the tip out out of my ear, but it still might come off the phone so usually I have to put them back on, which could be very annoying if that was a concern.

Dec 21, 2004 at 5:43 AM Post #11 of 29
Quote:

I just picked up a pair of Sony EX51's and reallly like the way they are easy to insert and remove. Unlike my Shure E2's, I can use the EX51s at work where I am often interrupted and need to answer a question.

So, my question really should be "are there any easy to insert that have decent audio quality?" The EX51's are missing something in quality(no mids) and the E2's are a bit too difficult for frequent insertion/removal.

I just got the E3c's and find them *much* easier to insert and remove than the E2c's. I hardly ever used the E2c's because they were too much of a hassle. Using the "hanging down" option, I find I can almost just pop the E3c's in like regular earbuds.

Dec 21, 2004 at 6:39 AM Post #12 of 29
I'm an old Ety ER-4 user and a newbie E2C user, and for me at this point the Etys are easier by far. This could of course change with a little more experience. With either phone it's a 1-handed insert for me.

Dec 21, 2004 at 7:10 PM Post #14 of 29
Can anyone explain the 2-hands technique in more detail? I got some E2Cs coming in the mail now.. I'm starting to think I should've just stuck with the Sharp md33s :
blink.gif

Dec 21, 2004 at 7:36 PM Post #15 of 29
Quote:

How's the E3's or Ety's in this regard? How about the other Sony's, Sharp, or others? I'd guess that the better ones have even more reliance on a good seal, thus making them more difficult to insert?

Brohken mod make things a BIT easier when putting in, getting out - the e2´s

Users who are viewing this thread

Back