Any Canadians around here?
Nov 13, 2003 at 1:38 AM Post #16 of 46
eh?
biggrin.gif

Nov 13, 2003 at 2:38 AM Post #18 of 46
I sometimes think it depends on the mood of the person checking the parcels at the border on a day. Meaning there is no certain way to avoid the tax. (I'm still wondering why I have to pay both GST and PST for imported stuff but that's another story). I didn't pay tax for most of my stuff including DT880 but had to pay them for MG head which was marked as a "gift."

USPS airmail has been the cheapest interms of handling/brokerage fee and UPS was worst in my experience.

Nov 13, 2003 at 3:23 AM Post #19 of 46
www.etronics.com has a specific canadian checkout that shows you shipping, tax, and the total in canadian funds. i ordered on the weekend and aparently ups will be delivering on friday.
smily_headphones1.gif
the shipping charge is pretty steep i think but im not sure, good customer service also.
smily_headphones1.gif
i recomend it. btw im in toronto. my order of sony v6's came out to just under 140 canadian after tax and shipping with the base price being 70 american.

Nov 13, 2003 at 3:46 AM Post #22 of 46
Canadian here too. I'm fortunate enough to live just outside the downtown core in Vancouver. Don't like HiFi Centre much, but frequent Sound Plus (10 minute walk from home) and Commercial Electronics.
As a matter of fact, I'm going to check out the Ultrasone 650 Trackmaster at Commercial this weekend. My IXOS dj1003 cans look suspiciously like an Ultrasone product. I'll take them with me to provide a basis for comparison.
Regarding international shipping, the courier companies screw you royally. I did win once, though. Three years ago I bought a Thorens TD126 Mk.III online. It was shipped to my work (large hospital) and everyone was very confused as to who it was for, who ordered it, what it was and who paid brokerage on it. The brokerage agent became so confused over fees for a duty-free, "obsolete" personal item that she eventually mailed me a no charge brokerage release. Considering I'd already paid about $900 CDN in purchase, insurance and shipping, I wasn't anxious to pay more.
Cheers,

Graham

Nov 13, 2003 at 3:58 AM Post #23 of 46
Quote:

Originally posted by TheMuffinMan_01
www.etronics.com has a specific canadian checkout that shows you shipping, tax, and the total in canadian funds. i ordered on the weekend and aparently ups will be delivering on friday.
smily_headphones1.gif
the shipping charge is pretty steep i think but im not sure, good customer service also.
smily_headphones1.gif
i recomend it. btw im in toronto. my order of sony v6's came out to just under 140 canadian after tax and shipping with the base price being 70 american.

Yikes - $70US is ~$91CDN (dollar just went up today), so shipping is ~$49CDN! Wow! Is that including duties and taxes? Because they specifically state on their site that UPS will collect at delivery.

Nov 13, 2003 at 4:03 AM Post #24 of 46
Never mind, I checked and etronics.com goes through borderfree.com, so everything is included. $40+ for shipping is mighty steep though - that's almost half the price of the 'phones themselves! You're in Toronto, couldn't find them locally? I know the V7506s sell at pro-shops (no discounts) for around $200 w/tax.

Nov 13, 2003 at 5:00 AM Post #25 of 46
Winterpeger here!!!

Now they question is how many winnipegers are here?

I envy those guy from NY and other bigger cities, why? b/c
you guys get to set up headphone meets.

I want to start a Winnipeg headphone meet/club, if their are more than Spoonman and myself. LOL (man Winnipeg sux)

Remember when Homer Simpson told his family that they were going to Winnipeg? heheh
evil_smiley.gif

Nov 13, 2003 at 1:34 PM Post #26 of 46
I am from Calgary.

There is not much here either, some Grados, Senn's and the usual Sony's (but never the good ones). Edmonton seems to do better. I bought my Sugden there. This is where I saw the Orpheus and some AKG's. I get my headphone stuff online.

Audio Cubes sends as gifts and I do not pay duties. Once I ordered from Headroom and they shipped UPS. I paid exorbitant taxes and broker's fees. Too bad they do not use postal services.

Nov 13, 2003 at 3:12 PM Post #27 of 46
The general sentiments I'm reading is AVOID using UPS and FedEx for shipping, as you'll get reamed by broker's fees.

Nov 13, 2003 at 3:15 PM Post #28 of 46
Jacques may I ask where you found that gear in Edmonton? I have only been to/phoned a couple of hi-fi stores but all they seem to sell is grado. Although I do have a close friend who gets me cost on AKG, Sony and Sennheiser.
600smile.gif

JV.

Nov 13, 2003 at 11:52 PM Post #30 of 46
Quote:

Originally posted by Superbaldguy
The general sentiments I'm reading is AVOID using UPS and FedEx for shipping, as you'll get reamed by broker's fees.

You got that right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back