Any buds other than yuins worth buying?
May 25, 2008 at 7:05 PM Post #31 of 38
I had to jump in here, because the rhetoric on the Yuin v. Gumy got the best of me. I've owned PK1, PK2 and PK3 (twice, sold them both times). I am a Yuin fan, but not unrealistically so. I also bought a pair of blue Gumys ($5.99) after reading that they were on par with the PK2s, so I just tried the Gumys and the OK3s (which I got to review) and listened to 5-6 tracks on the Clip.

My conclusion is that for $6, the Gumys are a very good buy, a little too harsh for my ears (can be somewhat fixed with EQ) to use with any regularity. I agree with Frederick in that the OK3s are a much more refined sound, and more pleasurable. I would not say they are far apart in SQ, however. Again, for $10, I don't find the Gumys atrocious (like I did the Maximos, for example), and if I had to use them short-term under ear bud conditions, it could be worse. But I do think the Yuins offer a more refined sound, and I don't think it's any placebo effect. Of course, they OK3s will probably cost at least $50 when they become available.

As a result, I will use the OK3s (sans canalphone tubes, with donut pads) as my ear buds, not the Gumys. And if the OK3s break or whatever, I would not be content listening to the Gumys on a regular basis.

Granted, I use ear buds in limited situations (poker, walking on busy city streets). Most of the time, I use either the Sleek SA6s or Head-Direct RE2s.

Anyway, I don't think the Gumys are the same as the Yuins. As for build quality, I have never had any of the Yuins I own go bad, but I use them very carefully.

Quote:

Originally Posted by channum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The more I read reactions like yours, I can only assume there is a lot of placebo effect going on with Yuins.

I was quite happy with my Yuin PK2, they still have great sound, I'm not disputing that, but the JVC HAF130 sounds nearly identical to them. So when I read someone declaring something that, if not for the slightly different shape of the earbuds, I doubt could be ABX'd from one another so bad, I can only discard your opinions as too biased as to be useful.

I spent more than a year listening to Yuins every single day, and I am firmly of the opinion that they are simply decent earphones with a lot of willing suspension of disbelief magically improving their quality in the minds of their customers. Their build quality is the poorest I've had from any earbud - mine needed three replacements in one year. They are overpriced for what you get.

People will get good sound by buying them, no question. But they can get similar quality sound from plenty of sub $30 products. If you *really* want truly good sound from an earbud, I'd save my money for something that is built better than a $5 pair of Koss bottom line buds at Wal-Mart.

May 25, 2008 at 8:47 PM Post #32 of 38
I think I should also add in how the fit is imperative in getting buds to sound good.

If you have large ears, all buds will be okay, as you can add foam to the smaller buds to get them to fit.

If you have smaller ears though, I think you shoudl stay away from the Senns (at least my MX70), as the bud is huge, making it easy to fall out.

So, to sum it all up, if you are unsure about your ear size, buy buds which are somewhat smaller (I think Yuins, JVC), and some foams to adjust for fit in order to get the best possible SQ.

May 25, 2008 at 10:46 PM Post #33 of 38
Agree on the fit thing. If I have earbuds (with foam pads) in my ears for more than and hour or two, they start to hurt a little. I'd say my ears are average size.

Also, I wanted to amend my earlier post. I forgot to mention that I found the Gumys terrible (very sibilant, almost painful) with donut pads (hole in the middle), but when I put on full foam pads, they settled down and the sibilance subsided.

May 29, 2008 at 1:00 PM Post #34 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by <GNEFF> killbot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But fit does play a major role when selecting earbuds. Take the AT cm7ti/cm700ti, just would not stay in my ears for more then a few seconds, always moving about and loosing whatever good sound they had when probably seated.

I would highly recommend the Audio Technica ATH-EC700 then. With the over the ear piece they never move for me. Same driver as the CM700 and same sound (well better since they stay in the optimal location all the time). I also own the ATH-CM4 which are only 3500yen right now in Japan. Not quite to the level of the EC700/CM700 but very close and almost $100 cheaper. The EC700 I rate above my HD580s (like a mini stax). The ATH-CM4 is easily the best sounding $35 headphone I have ever heard and if I didn't own the EC700 I would be raving about how they are the best ear bud I have ever heard (but I have the EC700). Unfortunately Audio Technica is not easy to find outside Japan, and there are many "fakes" on the internet.

May 29, 2008 at 3:31 PM Post #35 of 38
I dunno about you, but I am really looking forward to the availability of Mylarone Petite and Crossroads HR-1 after I went to Uncle Wilson's Jaben store yesterday after work and tried out various ear buds and IEMs (eg. Bauxar M, Teac, Shures, ...etc)
tongue.gif

Mylarone Petite is a mini canal phones suitable for ladies or kids according to uncle, but trying it on with a normal size tips... I just love its musical sound and solid feel and even suggested for it to come with cables and right angled plugs like the Yuins or Crossroads HR earbuds prototype samples to enhance it further.
wink.gif

The Crossroads HR-1 and HR-2 earbuds are 150ohms and 16ohms respectively for the prototype pieces I tried on. They look yuin-like but IMHO are nicer with its glossy earbud end and slighter better build when compared to the yuins. I like the power and liquid smooth sound from the HR-1 especially when amped.
biggrin.gif

Though I am rather happy with my rather new UM-1 as my daily portable earbud for the moment, the lure of the fine coming attractions may prove any resistance from me futile. Sigh. Lol.
redface.gif

Jun 2, 2008 at 5:11 PM Post #37 of 38
The ATH-CM4 looks very intriguing. The online sellers are yesasia.com and accessoryjack.com. Does anyone have an opinion as to whether these are reputable sellers?

Thanks.

Jun 2, 2008 at 6:44 PM Post #38 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott549 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The ATH-CM4 looks very intriguing. The online sellers are yesasia.com and accessoryjack.com. Does anyone have an opinion as to whether these are reputable sellers?

Don't know anything about accessoryjack.com, but yesasia is a great source for asian goods. I've dealt with them for music and other stuff mulitple times in the past.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back