Any buds other than yuins worth buying?
May 24, 2008 at 5:10 PM Post #17 of 38
Those A8s look good, but unfortunately the only city I will have access to is Boise Idaho and yeah, I don't think theres a B&O there. I'll Also be able to find better use for that money in europe, namely Amsterdam.
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by channum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Whether I'm insane or not is perhaps up for debate, but I found the JVC HAF130 to be as good as my Yuin PK2s at 1/7th the cost.

Thats reassuring, hopefully I can find a pair of those.

@captian73

UE's doesn't make ear buds, do they? I had a pair of super fi.5s for a while and wasn't impressed.
etysmile.gif

May 24, 2008 at 6:53 PM Post #18 of 38
This may just be me, but I can honestly say that I think the Sennheiser MX series, at leas tthe new ones 460, 560, 660, and 760 are most likely almost exactly the same headphone, and the MX660 which I own has no where near the bass to it that is found in my pk3 headset (well in the one earbud still working on my pk3's)

May 24, 2008 at 7:38 PM Post #19 of 38
I own or have owned all the the buds in question. This is my take on them:

MX500/400 (20USD)
Rather bad fit for my ears. Muddy and lacking in mids. Good build quality.

MX460 (15USD)
Ok fit. Very good bass and balanced mids and highs. Top notch audio all around. Good build quality including cable.

F130 (12USD)
Lacks bass and rather sibliant/harsh. Cable somewhat thin.

E888 (50USD)
Gooooood sound quality. Smooth, mellow yet sparkly. Does not go very deep in the lows, but whats there is top notch. Very fragile build quality. Driver goes bad easily and casing tends to falls apart. Some pairs defective out of the box. Many models, early runs made in Japan, then Malasia, then the Philipines. Great fit.

A8 (70USD)
Good bass but somewhat recessed mids. Very good build. Ok fit.

PK3 (65USD)
Good all around sound especially bass. Horrible build quality. The wires on my pair (bought dec07) was hard as stone within 3 months. Lousy warrenty/costumer service.

All the above only applies to my ears/taste/fit and so on, but after getting the MX460 a month ago it will be a long time before I pay more then 20USDfor a pair of buds. Only the E888 sounds better, but at 3 times the price I'm probably just going to get an extra pair of Senns.

May 24, 2008 at 9:08 PM Post #20 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by andersoj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm heading to Europe on tuesday and I need some buds to listen to while I'm there, because I don't want to get hit by a double decker bus.
[...]
Those A8s look good, but unfortunately the only city I will have access to is Boise Idaho and yeah, I don't think theres a B&O there. I'll Also be able to find better use for that money in europe, namely Amsterdam.
biggrin.gif

No double-deckers in Amsterdam, the worst that will happen is you will be hit by a bycicle and fall into a channel. Better start looking for waterproof phones...
smily_headphones1.gif

May 24, 2008 at 9:56 PM Post #21 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by ludoo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No double-deckers in Amsterdam, the worst that will happen is you will be hit by a bycicle and fall into a channel. Better start looking for waterproof phones...
smily_headphones1.gif

lol, those bikes really are a nuisance, been to the dam once before and I provoked at least two crashes. I'm actually gonna be in England first, so them double deckers are still on te radar. But I agree, now that I think about it they pale in comparison to stoned bicyclists.
eek.gif

May 25, 2008 at 3:30 AM Post #23 of 38
I personally own Senn MX560 and the JVC 130 and both are surprisingly good for the price. I have owned all 3 Yuin PK (1,2,3) and feel even the JVC is comparable, esp. when you consider that you are hardly going to use an earbud in a critical listening situation. I go back and forth on the 560 and the 130 but I think the JVC 130 has the edge. For the price you cannot beat it.

I would highly recommend either the Senn 560 of the JVC 130.

May 25, 2008 at 9:44 AM Post #25 of 38
This is interesting, I find the PK3's much better than the Gummys or any other bud I've thried. I love the Yuins. However, I have had to return twice due to buzzing (Vibration) in one channel. Hope this pair is a good one.

May 25, 2008 at 11:57 AM Post #26 of 38
The Cowon stock bud have a more balanced sound than the Gumys and sound less "tinny" and have less distortion. I bought the Gumys because of the hype-thread, and I was quite surprise they are so bad that I feel I have completely waisted $20. The Gumys are not an upgrade from most stock earbuds. I think they are only an upgrade if you have an iPod with the horrible 1st generation earbuds. The Yuin OK3s utterly destroy the Gumys in terms of sound quality. If you want earbuds that sound a lot better than the stock ones there is no way around Yuin. That being said I have not heard the PK3s, but I cannot believe they are that much worse than the OK3s which sound really good.

I actually use my buds a lot at work because I can hear people coming and they are easy to remove and insert.

May 25, 2008 at 12:54 PM Post #28 of 38
Late to the party to say that I have a pair of Senn ear buds, don't remember which model. They are a step up from the iPod earbuds, but still pretty grainy. And no earbuds stay seated in my ears well enough that their quality matters much. I hardly ever use them. IEMs are the way to go for portable listening IMO.

Tim

May 25, 2008 at 1:36 PM Post #29 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by FrederikS|TPU /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Yuin OK3s utterly destroy the Gumys in terms of sound quality. If you want earbuds that sound a lot better than the stock ones there is no way around Yuin.

The more I read reactions like yours, I can only assume there is a lot of placebo effect going on with Yuins.

I was quite happy with my Yuin PK2, they still have great sound, I'm not disputing that, but the JVC HAF130 sounds nearly identical to them. So when I read someone declaring something that, if not for the slightly different shape of the earbuds, I doubt could be ABX'd from one another so bad, I can only discard your opinions as too biased as to be useful.

I spent more than a year listening to Yuins every single day, and I am firmly of the opinion that they are simply decent earphones with a lot of willing suspension of disbelief magically improving their quality in the minds of their customers. Their build quality is the poorest I've had from any earbud - mine needed three replacements in one year. They are overpriced for what you get.

People will get good sound by buying them, no question. But they can get similar quality sound from plenty of sub $30 products. If you *really* want truly good sound from an earbud, I'd save my money for something that is built better than a $5 pair of Koss bottom line buds at Wal-Mart.

May 25, 2008 at 6:29 PM Post #30 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by tfarney /img/forum/go_quote.gif
..And no earbuds stay seated in my ears well enough that their quality matters much. I hardly ever use them. IEMs are the way to go for portable listening IMO.

Tim

I very much agree, only I dont like the isolation while on the move. But fit does play a major role when selecting earbuds. Take the AT cm7ti/cm700ti, just would not stay in my ears for more then a few seconds, always moving about and loosing whatever good sound they had when probably seated. No, when 15USD will buy me the MX460 I dont see any reason to pay more..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back