Any better options than M40x in its price range?
Dec 12, 2016 at 10:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

3DGrace

New Head-Fier
1. I am not interested in purchasing an amp.
2. Comfort/sound clarity are all I care about. I listen mostly to hard rock.
3. Flexible on sound signature so long as clarity is solid.
4. Open or closed is acceptable.
5. Must be over ear.
6. Prefer straight cord (detachable a plus).
7. Will be worn over glasses.

Dec 13, 2016 at 9:01 AM Post #5 of 7
Ironically, Newegg was running a sale for around $50, so I ordered them yesterday. The model# had an S at the end. A quick google search informed me that the sound quality should be the same. Not sure if you are familiar with this.

Is the HM5 pad mod worth it on these?

Dec 13, 2016 at 9:23 AM Post #6 of 7
  Ironically, Newegg was running a sale for around $50, so I ordered them yesterday. The model# had an S at the end. A quick google search informed me that the sound quality should be the same. Not sure if you are familiar with this.

Is the HM5 pad mod worth it on these?

Yeah, it's just a slight variation that shouldn't make any difference in sound.

Do this mod:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/600088/an-audiophile-and-petrolheads-journal-buckle-up/7770#post_11121790

Dec 13, 2016 at 5:38 PM Post #7 of 7
So I just got these in from Newegg today. The mids are great, especially for vocals and hard rock. The bass and treble aren't as pronounced as my old pair of M50s, but honestly this thing does thump if you put some volume into it and the bass sounds clean. I really like the open back for a wider sound stage. And OMG are these the most comfortable headphones to wear. I felt like my M50s were going to make my brain explode. Some people don't like the cord, but honestly I prefer the straight short cord because it doesn't tug on the headset like my heavy coiled M50 cord would do and drive me nuts while gaming.

Thanks for the recommendation Alchemist!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back