Any benefits from having a higher sample rate?
Aug 1, 2023 at 6:25 AM Post #106 of 106
well, its what i hear and there may be different reasons for that but im not going to argue with people that say every dac sounds the same
Firstly, no one is arguing that every DAC sounds the same, so who is it that you’re “not going to argue with”?

Secondly, you keep saying “it’s what I hear” to all sorts of nonsense claims but you never do controlled testing to differentiate what you actually hear from what you just imagine/perceive. As this has been explained to you numerous times your assertion of “it’s what I hear” is a deliberate lie as you have no idea what you’re actually hearing.
or there are different reasons for it and not just distortion which sits at -170db for good resampling algorithms, way below 24bit noisefloor
Either there’s no distortion, in which case it’s identical and there is no difference to hear, or there is distortion (at say -170dB) in which case there is a difference but it cannot be resolved into sound and how can you hear a difference that cannot be resolved into sound? What “different reasons” or things are there other than distortion or no distortion?
thats not the same as applying resampling to the whole song tho you only know the different resampled parts of song (or dacs) already resampled and never heared it differently
There is no way to switch off resampling in any ADC and the only way of doing it in a DAC is to use a NOS DAC, so the how can a whole song not have gone through at least one resampling process?
so A-B resampling vs non resampling yourself!
As you cannot turn off resampling, how can you test “resampling vs non resampling”?
"probably", well everyone should try for themself, this is just my opinion
The exceptions and therefore why I stated “probably” are: Not resampling to lower sample rates (than 44.1kHz) or not using some faulty/ancient (say 25 year old) resampler.
honestly after reading alot the only logical reason for resampling to sound better is a better antialising filter (at 44,1khz, and the worse dac filter gets shifted to higher frequencys)
Then either you have not “read alot”, you didn’t understand what you read or you don’t know what “logical reason” means! Both 71dB and I have given examples of when resampling can sound better (a non-linear processor for example). For the consumer (not using non-linear processors) the advantage is a cheaper reconstruction filter, with a longer transition band and therefore artefacts outside the range of human hearing, which is why DACs have used resampling even from the earliest days of consumer digital audio and why virtually every DAC employed resampling/oversampling by the end of the 1980’s!
and maybe "helping the dac out in reconstruction" in throwing higher samplerates at it, then it also makes sense why it may sound "smoother"
How does throwing more data at a DAC, which has to receive and compute it in the same amount of time, help a DAC out? And how does it “makes sense” that transferring and processing more data makes the “sound smoother”? If anything, what “makes sense” would be the opposite!
dont bother throwing objective reasons out why this can not be etc..
You’re joking right? What do you think we should “bother throwing” here if not objective reasons? You do know this is the Sound Science forum and what the word “science” means?
atleast i dont care if it still sounds different/better
EXACTLY! If you “don’t care if it still sounds different/better” or if the sound is actually the same or worse, then why are you posting and arguing about it?

G

Users who are viewing this thread

Back