Any benefit of upgrading DAC from Topping DX3 Pro to a balanced DAC?

Which should I get ?

• Total voters
Jan 12, 2021 at 10:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

dougms3

Headphoneus Supremus
My setup is a Topping DX3 pro and SMSL SP200.

Originally I was just planning to use the DX3 pro but I got a T50rp and then the mods and well, I'm sure everyone is familiar with this story....T50rp was writing checks the Dx3 couldn't cash so I got the SP200. Love it and it works great.

I was considering upgrading the DX3 pro to a balanced DAC, either the SMSL SU-9 or the Gustard DAC x-16.

1. Would there be any significant difference in sound quality?

2. I've always had an issue with some interference when the DX3 is connected via USB, its always there as long as the USB is plugged in, even when in optical mode. I put 4 ferrite chokes on the usb cable and noise is still there. Eventually gave up and just use optical. Will using a balanced DAC help at all with this so I can use the USB input?

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Jan 13, 2021 at 11:51 AM Post #2 of 9
I would go SMSL for a couple of reasons.
1.) The measurements are slightly better especially the filter choices
2.) It will stack nicely wit the SMSL SP200 you already have.

The chances of you hearing major "improvements" by swapping DAC's is slim. They are designed with transparency in mind, but going balanced will provide you will a little more headroom because you will be inputting 4v RMS into the amp instead of 2. Not that the SP200 needs more gain!

Jan 13, 2021 at 2:03 PM Post #3 of 9
I would go SMSL for a couple of reasons.
1.) The measurements are slightly better especially the filter choices
2.) It will stack nicely wit the SMSL SP200 you already have.

The chances of you hearing major "improvements" by swapping DAC's is slim. They are designed with transparency in mind, but going balanced will provide you will a little more headroom because you will be inputting 4v RMS into the amp instead of 2. Not that the SP200 needs more gain!

I'm so curious if it will noticeably improve the sound quality.

Its eating away at me.

I know it will double the power output but its not a necessity. The sp200is a beast. It provides more than i need atm.

With the t50rp it's set at -6 db on the dx3 and 12 o clock on the sp200 high gain and i fine tune volume on windows from 20-50.

My brother probably would have blown up both his ear drums. Last month he connected his iems to see how it would sound without adjusting the volume first. Good thing for him i didnt pull the trigger on a balanced dac yet.

Jan 13, 2021 at 7:42 PM Post #5 of 9
To my understanding, most can't detect the difference standalone

Your words are reasonable and backed by alot of data on this forum and ASR from whats I've read but the moron in me still wants to find out first hand.

Any ideas on #2? If the balanced DAC will eliminate that ground noise from the USB cable?

Jan 14, 2021 at 4:29 AM Post #6 of 9
SMSL SP200 is not a balanced amplifier so I don't expect it to make much difference, if any at al.
Difference would come from a better quality DAC not from it being balanced.

And the SU-9 stacks better with the SH-9 :relaxed:
SH-9 is pretty much an SP200 in a nicer box

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2021 at 9:24 AM Post #7 of 9
SMSL SP200 is not a balanced amplifier so I don't expect it to make much difference, if any at al.
Difference would come from a better quality DAC not from it being balanced.

And the SU-9 stacks better with the SH-9 :relaxed:
SH-9 is pretty much an SP200 in a nicer box

Are you sure its not balanced?

It has xlr inputs and xlr headphone jack.

Jan 23, 2021 at 1:16 AM Post #9 of 9
Yes I'm sure
It's has XLR input/output connectors but inside the circuitry is all SE.

Check some reviews, they will say the same.

(Doesn't mean that the SP200 is a bad amplifier)

Pulled the trigger on the SMSL SU-9.

I haven't looked into how it is wired internally but if I had to guess I think its balanced internally. Its not a huge increase but switching from RCA to XLR increases volume by about 20%. It may be in my head or could be because I'm using a higher quality wire for the XLR connection (Canare L-4E6S with Amphenol connectors) but the sound quality seems better as well.

I've also had to reduce the volume knob to half of what it was before, so its at 9 o'clock now, pretty signicant power increase from the DX3 pro.

To my understanding, most can't detect the difference standalone

I'm switching back and forth from the DX3 to the SU-9, I'd say the difference is pretty drastic. So much improvement in pretty much every category and its somehow added soundstage as well.

I haven't even touched the filters yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back