Any benefit in upgrading Grado 325i's cable?
Mar 7, 2005 at 2:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

mjstevens

New Head-Fier
I own a new (70+ hrs) pair of Grado 325i's. I have upgraded the pads to TTVJ
flat pads which IMO are more comfortable than the standard pads. Question is does it make sense to upgrade the cables, what "real" sound difference would
it make, has anyone actually done this before? Or are the stock cables from Grado actually ok.

Mar 7, 2005 at 8:16 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aman
I liked the stock cables a lot, but Headphile does recables and I believe Larry himself even thinks most of the sound improvement comes from the cable job.

"Most of the sound improvement" compared to what?

Mar 7, 2005 at 10:42 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by rodbac
"Most of the sound improvement" compared to what?

The wood.

I may one day get my headphone recabled, just to get the stupid plastic y-spliter think off.

My cables always get so tangled

Mar 8, 2005 at 1:22 AM Post #7 of 8
Larry does some great work with recabling, a lot of head-fiers can attest to his work, but i actually prefer the sound of the stock cable. A lot of people have speculated that a big part of why grados have such an exciting upfront sound is due to that UHPLC ofc that John uses in his cable, versus the older joe cables, thats why they are a little more neutral. I would say if you think your 325i's are a little too upfront, larry's recabling would probably change the sound and make it a little less upfront, of course only he could tell you that as well.

Mar 8, 2005 at 1:46 AM Post #8 of 8
My MS-2s with Cardas cable did basically that, it toned down the upfront treble to a more neutral sound. I was suprised it made as much difference as it did as both the stock cable and the Cardas are made of 6ns copper of about the same gauge. I find the new sound preferable in most cases although sometimes I miss that extra treble energy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back