Any bass heads grow to prefer a more neutral sound?
Sep 25, 2015 at 7:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

AdmiralAkmir

New Head-Fier
Nothing wrong with a fun pair of cans, but I'm just wondering; how many of you started out as bass heads and over time grew to prefer a more neutral and honest pair of cans? I've been listening to DT770 pro's for a number of years now, and just got my hands on a pair of 880 pro's today and it feels almost shocking how absent the bass is in some songs. I'm not complaining though, I find it interesting, it's like sitting on one side of the table for years, and then getting up and moving to the other side for a different perspective.

Sep 26, 2015 at 12:08 AM Post #2 of 11
Absolutely! I've always considered myself a basshead, but decided to invest in a pair of HD600s. At first it was a bit shocking how little bass presence there is, but as I listened longer I fell in love with the sound of the mids. Furthermore, you do get more used to hearing the bass without needing the thump in time.

Sep 26, 2015 at 1:15 AM Post #5 of 11
I have over 60 pairs of headphones, I go from Nighthawks and SZ2000's to ATH W1000z's and Pioneer HRM-7's. So different perspective is the name of the game for me. 

Feb 28, 2016 at 8:40 AM Post #6 of 11
Woah! Saw this thread and just had to chip in. I was and still am a basshead. Was really into the 'consumerist' sound. Big heavy bass. I enjoyed the Aurisonics ASG 1.3 and Rockjaw Arcana V2 greatly. I always thought they were almost perfect for me but i was wrong. My eyes was opened when I tried the JOMO 2 iem by JOMO audio (Singapore based CIEM maker), a double balanced armature set-up . It was described to be a reference kind of sound, how the founder likes it. I was very surprised at the quantity of bass and how deep it reached. Furthermore the balance between the sub-bass and mid-bass was done and they barely intruded the mids. Right now, I'm craving more neutral iems with a spacious soundstage. Maybe a slight warm tilt would be enough for me now rather than bombastic mid-bass slam. I would say a natural kind of neutral would be nice with a slight bump in the bass and a spacious soundstage for music across all genres would be ideal. Now, I'm trying to search for a Earwerkz Supra 2 Universal or if i have the money an Aurisonics 1plus

Feb 28, 2016 at 9:39 AM Post #8 of 11
I have owned around 30 different headphones in 10 years and was a basshead throughout that time until I purchased HD600's last year. Then I realised what neutral/real bass was and I haven't looked back since. I still prefer my JVC HA-SZ2000's for watching movies though. There are some headphones that manage to combine basshead with equally strong treble, notably the Denon AH-D5000....this is why they are my favourite of all.

Feb 28, 2016 at 10:09 AM Post #9 of 11
  I have owned around 30 different headphones in 10 years and was a basshead throughout that time until I purchased HD600's last year. Then I realised what neutral/real bass was and I haven't looked back since. I still prefer my JVC HA-SZ2000's for watching movies though. There are some headphones that manage to combine basshead with equally strong treble, notably the Denon AH-D5000....this is why they are my favourite of all.

The d5K are classic awesome.

First review I ever saw of the SZ on the net was a person who did home theater gear reviews and he loved em'.
For me it depends on mood and where I am at. I see a Scorcese movie and I'm rocking the Rolling Stones all week on a set good for that. I hear a old Hip hop track in the background of something and I'm doing that Gangster Rap thing for a bit. Depends on mood.  Life surf....I don't count the waves....I just ride em'

Feb 28, 2016 at 12:05 PM Post #10 of 11
When I buyed my first serious headphones namely Sennheiser HD449 i thought where the hell are bass??? Ofcourse i liked crispness and details, but my god i missed dat bass... After some equing i came to conclusion that drivers just cant produce bass i wanted. Second purchase was 598HD, i felt very disappointment, because besides larger Soundstage where was no improvements... Ok where was a bit more bass when eq, but still drivers could not hande much bass at all. After some time i noticed HD 8 dj and i readed that this headphone can handle bass like champ!!! Boy HD 8 was handeling bass like champ! I SOMETIMES even listened with fiio 12 bass boost and 10db+ with eq with no rattlings like those from HD449 or 598!!! After some happy months listening HD 8 dj i realised how i missed Soundstage and a bit of crispness from HD598. I buyed Dt990 a bit later and i got that i wanted. Much better Stage and more highs! Unfortunately Open headphone nature steal a lot of impact:frowning2: quantity was similar, but impact gone from open cups. After some playing with eq i came to conclusion that DT990 cant handle bass like a champ that HD 8 dj is:D. Well ok i thought, i should try to adjust to lesser, but still good levels of bass. After a few months i started to like lesser impactful bass from Dt990, because with tighter, faster and less weighter bass i can hear all the details more easily! I enjoyed DT990 tremendously for gaming, no need for eq! High comfort level with one of the best ear pads! I think DT990 are one OF THE BEST... IF NOT THE BEST open headphones if you use it whitout any dolby or eq... Talking about music i felt sibilance with many modern music, besides that i missed magical Senns mids. Now i have HD650 and i loved it right from the start!!! Still nice open sounding, but with god like mids and and similar impactful bass, but without deep bass like from dt990. Overall i am really impressed how HD650 can handle so many genres so good! 3 most impressive things from HD650 is: 1. Genre master 2. It sound great with even low quality music 3. Amazing mids! Ofcourse after some time preferences changing and now for more and more songs i want cleaner and crisper highs whitout sibilance, very tight deep bass and Best Stage and imaging capabilities. I heard HD800 few days ago and i think besides intense highs and TOUCH too little bass it was perfect. Right now im saving up for HD800S and i laugh in my head how i can liked HD 8 dj??? :DDD

Feb 28, 2016 at 3:39 PM Post #11 of 11
i was a basshead, i start with m audio q 40 with massive bass boost to them, but now i prefer more neutral sound, but i am sucker for sub bass, very low at 20 - 30hz i raise the eq just 2 or 3 db for a touch more sub bass rumble

Users who are viewing this thread

Back