Any balanced amp available for HD650?
Oct 5, 2005 at 7:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

jonta_dj

100+ Head-Fier
Are there any balanced amps available for purchase at the moment, anywhere?

What is the cheapest one and how much is it? I think I wanna go the balanced route now.

What amps are balanced? Names/models?

Oct 5, 2005 at 8:30 PM Post #2 of 15
www.singlepoweraudio.com
www.headphone.com
www.headamp.com
Here are some starting points for you. You could probably get Mikhail(Singlepower) to build you a PPX3 or MPX3 balanced for a fairly cheap price price. Headamp Gilmore balanced amps wont break the bank either. Dont know how much the new amps from headroom are.
Of course you will need a balanced source and cables. Good luck.
600smile.gif

Oct 5, 2005 at 8:38 PM Post #4 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonta_dj
Are there any balanced amps available for purchase at the moment, anywhere?

What is the cheapest one and how much is it? I think I wanna go the balanced route now.

What amps are balanced? Names/models?

We need to get a idea of the money you have and what devices you already. If you don't have a source. Then we are talking some money. Get the used DAC1 in the for sale section for $800 dollars. Then wait to get a nicer amp. DAC1 has an amp inside and will work fairly well.

Oct 5, 2005 at 9:06 PM Post #5 of 15
The cheapest balanced I know of is from www.aqvox.com ; it has micro and line in balanced inputs together with an A-D converter and it sells for 800 euro. They also have a good DAC, but I don't know how good the amp is.

Oct 5, 2005 at 9:23 PM Post #6 of 15
I have a Lynx L22 and I find it good, it's also balanced and I got balanced cables. I read that the DAC-1 might be better than my soundcard but it's also a whole different unit...

I don't find a balanced Gilmore amp anywhere, I only saw some info about an upcoming model. Where is it? Price?

The Headroom amp is like 2,299.00 so it's pretty expensive, even without all the upgrades.

Is there something closer to $1300 or?

Would I benefit from a better AMP with my source?

How is a balanced amp better than a not balanced (I think it's called something else right?)? Does it sound totally different or? I read soemthing about speed.

Oct 5, 2005 at 9:38 PM Post #7 of 15
Standard Gilmore Balanced Reference from HeadAmp was priced at $1499, IIRC. Contact Justin at HeadAmp - maybe he can still build you one?

Another popular option here is to get Benchmark DAC-1 and drive your Senns through its balanced ouputs directly. Many members here like that combination, though I've never personally had a chance to listen to that setup.

Oct 6, 2005 at 9:42 AM Post #10 of 15
Or have someone build 2 identical PPA's adjusted to run balanced mono. Cost you about $300-800 depending on the options you choose.

I think you'd be better off upgrading cans, and source before going full out balanced

Oct 6, 2005 at 5:12 PM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonta_dj
What are all those products at SFT Audio? Are they like "open source projects" that anyone with right skills can build?

Personally, I think you are moving it this to quick. You need to do some searches to learn more about the amps. What kind of sound are you looking more. If you are looking for a more neutral sound, I would go with Soild State amp. If you are looking for some color I would go with a tube amp. If you aren't sure what yoy like, I would get a good mid range amp that you can sell for about the same price you get it for. Check the for sale portion of the forum.

Just my two cents..

-Chris

Oct 6, 2005 at 9:32 PM Post #15 of 15
The new options from SFT are very interesting, though not availble for another month or so. It seems that there is finally a more mainstream option for an all balanced audio system >$1000. People's feelings on balanced drive range from 'it's a last 1% kind of difference' to 'it's night and day' versus single ended, but it's nice for slightly more normal budgeted people (head-fi standards, $1000 isn't normal otherwise...) to be able to experience the difference for themselves.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back