any bad paypal experiences?
Sep 15, 2007 at 1:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

big_lou

Head-Fier
Sorry if this has been discussed already but I have seen many anti-paypal sites and was wondering if anyone here had any negative experiences using paypal.

Also, how does one pay through PayPal using my credit card? When I tried to open the paypal account through e-bay the only options available were to add checking account info or to sign up for a Paypal credit card.

TIA for any responses.

Sep 15, 2007 at 2:34 PM Post #2 of 14
I will not use, nor support PayPal FOREVER, because of two problems I have had with them.

Firstly, I sold an amplifier circuit board and some parts to someone here on this forum. I had been a good standing member of Paypal for years, and the sale went through easily. My account was credited with the purchase price. Then, as if by magic, it was poofed. Since PayPal gives no statements like a real account, there was no notice to me. The money just pissadeered. I wrote and talked with "Customer service" many times, and they progressively got more and more impolite and they NEVER gave me any money back.

Secondly, they have a thing for anything Gun or Gun-related, and regularly screw up deals regarding same.
Not Knives, Not Swords, Not Bludgeons, Not Brass Knuckles, nor Nazi Stuff, Nor Poisons, Nor Cars, Motorcycles, Cigars, or any other Dangerous instrumentality, just guns. By that I mean Optical sights, Holsters, Brass, loading dies, parts like springs and screws, pieces of wood for grips or stocks, even plastic bits - if it is for use with a gun, or is even a piece that is useable for other things than a part of one, they will either cancel the sale or poof the money if they are made aware that it may be gun-related.

I will neither sell nor buy anything using PayPal, Forevermore.

Sep 15, 2007 at 3:07 PM Post #3 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by KYTGuy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Secondly, they have a thing for anything Gun or Gun-related, and regularly screw up deals regarding same.
Not Knives, Not Swords, Not Bludgeons, Not Brass Knuckles, nor Nazi Stuff, Nor Poisons, Nor Cars, Motorcycles, Cigars, or any other Dangerous instrumentality, just guns. By that I mean Optical sights, Holsters, Brass, loading dies, parts like springs and screws, pieces of wood for grips or stocks, even plastic bits - if it is for use with a gun, or is even a piece that is useable for other things than a part of one, they will either cancel the sale or poof the money if they are made aware that it may be gun-related.

Wow - I had not heard that, though I haven't been "active" in the online gun community in some time.

I'm amazed Pay Pal is allowed to exist legally.

GAD

Sep 15, 2007 at 5:10 PM Post #4 of 14
Paypal has now completely locked me out of my own account.

I can't add any banks or cards, and somehow I'm quite sure some money (not alot maybe $20) stored on that account went missing.

Google Checkout ftw.

Sep 15, 2007 at 5:56 PM Post #5 of 14
My mother had a charge a credit card from an unknown PayPal account before. The charge was disputed, and the credit card company said it wasn't in our favor.

I'm guessing she gave out her account information with one of those fishing schemes, but the "proof" they gave when we got the letter was an illegible piece of paper.

I still use it because I don't have a choice, the fact that the PayPal charge seems to be mandatory pisses me off when I sell things online.

Sep 15, 2007 at 10:04 PM Post #6 of 14
Hey 450 -

Check to see that you have kept them notified that your card(s) have been updated - new expiration date, stuff like that...IF you want to deal with the crooks.

I got locked out once because my cards had been renewed, and I didn't update the bums.

Sep 16, 2007 at 3:58 AM Post #7 of 14
KYTGuy...

The card still has the same expiration date and isn't cancelled or have any problems with it. Doesn't explain bank account issue either or why they took $20 outta my acct.

I don't wanna deal with PayPal anymore. I've had other probs as well.

Google seems much more honest to me. Not just saying that because it has the Google label.
wink.gif

Sep 16, 2007 at 5:24 AM Post #8 of 14
I only buy stuff with PayPal on my credit card, because their buyer's protection is useless if the seller is really out to scam you. With a credit card, you can do a charge back outside of PayPal. I am also very wary of selling expensive items to people I don't know through PayPal nowadays, because I've seen just how easy it is for buyers to scam honest sellers.

Sep 17, 2007 at 2:43 AM Post #11 of 14
I used it knowing that there were lots of horror stories out there thinking that it would never happen to me, paypal wouldn't screw me or let someone screw me, and then I got screwed, well anyway I have a negative balance now so I am definitely just going to leave it. BTW, can I close my account without paypal taking money from me since I have a verified account?

Sep 17, 2007 at 6:05 AM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by KYTGuy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I sold an amplifier circuit board and some parts to someone here on this forum. I had been a good standing member of Paypal for years, and the sale went through easily. My account was credited with the purchase price. Then, as if by magic, it was poofed.

there has to be more to this story.

Sep 17, 2007 at 2:39 PM Post #13 of 14
I had one bad experience with them when I bought an item on eBay a few years ago. The seller sent me what were very obviously bootleg items, and would not respond to any of my e-mails. When I contacted Paypal about the issue, they said that there was nothing they would do since the seller had sent me something. It didn't matter that the items he sent me had not matched the item description, and were plainly illegal; the mere fact that he had sent me anything meant that they would not refund my money.

The verified bank account that I have on file with them was closed down years ago, so they can't raid my funds. Since I pay for everything with a credit card through Paypal, there is no reason for them to know that my bank account is now defunct. I also never keep a Paypal balance; I basically only use it to buy things, not to sell. When I sell items, I prefer postal money orders.

Sep 17, 2007 at 3:10 PM Post #14 of 14
I've had a few, but one recently that ticked me off.

I bought a DAC from a member at Audiocircle. So I went to send payment and clicked on pay with credit card, but then must have it cancel instead of ok. I clicked send payment and then realized what had happened. I had little in my checking account (keep it all in a 5%+ savings), and not enough to cover the amount.

So I PM the guy and he immediately cancels the payment, within maybe 5mins or so of me making it. It says under my paypal account that the amount was canceled, but it was awaiting refund...even though the money was never sent. I was worried but not to worried because I assumed they would not take the money from my account, and if they did they would take part from my account and part from my CC the "backup source" of funding.

So long story short what they ended up doing was taking the money from my checking maybe 3 business days later, the full amount causing a overdraft, and sending it to the seller along with the credit card payment I sent a few mins after. Then they took money from the sellers checking account (when he had enough money in his paypal to cover it?) and sent that money to me. I had a overdraft and was out my money a total of around 2 weeks, and I think he overdrafted to. Then the money got held up on my end, can't remember why, they were "investigating" something for about 3-4 days.

I emailed paypal about it numerous times and got a canned email about thank you for your question please check the FAQ. Very annoying.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back