Any Audio Technica ATH-W100 experts that can help me?
Mar 21, 2005 at 2:20 PM Post #46 of 62
Tomcat, elnero,

Thanks for the replies
smily_headphones1.gif
. It's good to know that the W2002 pads are genuine leather. And good to know that they might be a bit cooler. I think I'll order some.

Dave.

Mar 21, 2005 at 2:49 PM Post #48 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by thrice
So if I wanted to treat mine, which would be better?

thrice,

I'm afraid that's the one million dollar question. I just used antique wax on the W100 because I had it at hand. It's mostly used for antique furniture. I apply it from time to time to my hifi rack which is customized from solid Tarara wood (aka Canarywood). You could search the web for luthier's websites. They all have their secret potions, oils, waxes and varnishes to keep old violins in shape.

I guess one primary effect of the wax might be that it is absorbed, thus increasing the wood's density and thus moving its resonance frequency upward. A rule of thumb: the higher the Q, the less the internal resonance effects intrude on the signal.

Mar 21, 2005 at 3:11 PM Post #49 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by soupy
very very warm headphones. everytime I switch off of my sa5k's to these, it feels SOOOO lush. mids and vocals come out extremely smooth and the bass is very musical and not overpowering. They don't have the treble performance of say the W1000s, but good enough. Build quality is excellent as well...they don't build headphones this durable anymore. They do need a long burn in for it to show its true colors...as my current one is strohmie's old pair with who knows how many hundreds of hrs on it. My first one was brand new and I unfortunately sold it off too soon (for the cd3ks).

wow, thats exacly how I feel about them, I loved the can for 'Pink Floyd'
biggrin.gif
tongue.gif
and I actually called it 'My Pink Floyd headphones'I have sold them to one of the headfiers and upgraded to W1000, my new Pink Floyd can.

Darius

Mar 21, 2005 at 3:38 PM Post #50 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by daveabrey
If you mean W100's, then yes, I bought a pair on Saturday. They are currently on an epic burn in, 40 hours in, ??? hours to go
frown.gif
. How are your pair getting on?

Heh, I must have extremely odd ears or a pair of the brighter W100's.... mine are "far" from warm at the moment (150 hours) and, if anything, I'd say they were a very revealing highly analytical headphone... the opposite from warm and lush. I really like them but if they don't get a "bit" warmer over the next few days I'm going to fire some wax into the wood from the inside.

Would you describe your as warm Dave?

Mar 21, 2005 at 3:58 PM Post #51 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by PinkFloyd
Heh, I must have extremely odd ears or a pair of the brighter W100's.... mine are "far" from warm at the moment (150 hours) and, if anything, I'd say they were a very revealing highly analytical headphone... the opposite from warm and lush. I really like them but if they don't get a "bit" warmer over the next few days I'm going to fire some wax into the wood from the inside.

First, you'll have to wait until I get home
smily_headphones1.gif

Second, and this is going to sound really noobish of me, but what do you mean by 'warm'? Serious question
biggrin.gif
. I have an idea from what you described in your post just now, but I want to be sure before I reply
biggrin.gif
. It should be an interesting learning experience for me though!

Mar 21, 2005 at 7:41 PM Post #52 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by PinkFloyd

If I've done my reading right, these are definitely not warm phones! I just did a quick comparison against my HD600's, and the Senns have the advantage on the bass, but the mids and highs of the W100's are much better. Diana Krall sounded great
smily_headphones1.gif
. I think I may have just had my first experience of the Sennheiser Veil
wink.gif
. I'm approaching 48 hours burn in time, so things may still change.

Mar 24, 2005 at 5:58 PM Post #53 of 62
I've given the W100's a few very thin coats of "Mr. Sheen Mansion wax polish" and boy does it make the wood look gorgeous! It looked positively dull before the waxing:

3.jpg

Before applying wax

The following pics really don't do justice to how they look in reality after the waxing:

w1002.jpg

After a few thin coats of wax

w1001.jpg

Pic taken under artificial lighting

w1003.jpg

Dull lighting

I do believe the waxing has altered the tonality of the W100's and they do sound a bit warmer now....... it could be that they are still burning in but (for sure) the waxing seems to have improved the overall sonic signature.

If you're going to wax them it's best to apply very light coats....... I applied each coat by wiping my finger over the wax so there was wax on the finger but not that you could see with your eyes...... you just want to swipe enough wax so it fills the gaps between your fingerprints..... apply with bare finger using a circular motion and, when fully coated, allow to dry for 5 minutes before buffing with a soft cloth..... repeat this process as many times as you like....... the Mansion wax has got a really addictive (waxy) smell to it so it's very theraputic and enjoyable waxing the phones......

PS: Here are a couple of pics of the angled drivers:

drive1.jpg

drive2.jpg

Mar 24, 2005 at 8:11 PM Post #55 of 62
Quote:

If I've done my reading right, these are definitely not warm phones! I just did a quick comparison against my HD600's, and the Senns have the advantage on the bass, but the mids and highs of the W100's are much better. Diana Krall sounded great
smily_headphones1.gif
. I think I may have just had my first experience of the Sennheiser Veil
wink.gif
. I'm approaching 48 hours burn in time, so things may still change.

Glad you like them Dave
smily_headphones1.gif

I found mine a bit glassy sounding initially (fresh from the box) but they've definitely mellowed out quite a bit and are actually sounding a lot more ballsy. I agree, the mids and treble are a lot classier than the HD-600..... I also agree that the bass doesn't go quite as low the HD-600 "but" it doesn't sound as bloated as the HD-600 bass... it's a lot tighter and has bags more impact...... can truly rattle your eardrums at times!! They're also better at dynamics than the HD-600. I'm still waiting for the warmth to kick in but, if it doesn't, I'll be very happy as I love the way they sound just as they are.

The one thing that really impresses me is their ability to sound so "open" They're not what I expected from a pair of closed phones..... not at all and nowhere near as "in your head" as other closed phones I've tried....... fantastic soundstaging, spatiality and superb imaging...... I can't take them off my head... these will not be in the for sale forum, no way!

Now time to get hold of some leather earpads, I'd imagine the leatherette ones would get VERY warm and sweaty in the summer........ ok for winter use but definitely not the ideal material for the summer months. $49..... is that the cheapest source?

All the best.

Mike.

Mar 24, 2005 at 8:18 PM Post #56 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by warubozu
Pinkie, did you also apply wax to the insides of the wood enclosures?

Hi warubozu,

I haven't had the earcups off yet (one of those rare occasions where I'm a bit apprehensive to start pulling things apart) I'll probably get around to that at a later date. At the moment I'm handling them very carefully and keep wiping them with a cloth... heck they've even got their own dedicated cushion they sit on when they're not wrapped around my head
tongue.gif
They sound great to my ears so there's probably no need to go under the bonnet and start messing about with things... they definitely get better and better with bed in so I'll allow 1000 hours of music to pass through them and see what they sound like then
smily_headphones1.gif

Cheers

Mike.

Mar 24, 2005 at 9:30 PM Post #57 of 62
eek.gif

I thought they looked nice before, but that's fantastic! I'll be getting some of that Mr Sheen then! Thanks for the instructions too, I'll give it a go (although I won't have a chance over the weekend
frown.gif
). And it's good to hear that it's made them a bit warmer as well, not that it's a problem as it stands though.

I'm glad to hear that my impressions of the sound matched yours, it means that I'm not as bad at describing (and hearing) things as I'd thought
smily_headphones1.gif
. They have over 100 hours of burn in now, and I think they sound great (although I haven't had a proper listening session yet
frown.gif
). They should get more over the holiday weekend, so hopefully next week...
wink.gif

I don't know if anywhere else supplies the W2002 pads, as a couple of people replied to my initial enquiry with the Audiocubes answer. I have a pair on order, I'll let you know how they are.

Mar 25, 2005 at 1:17 AM Post #58 of 62
Quote:

eek.gif

I thought they looked nice before, but that's fantastic! I'll be getting some of that Mr Sheen then! Thanks for the instructions too, I'll give it a go (although I won't have a chance over the weekend
frown.gif
). And it's good to hear that it's made them a bit warmer as well, not that it's a problem as it stands though.

I'm glad to hear that my impressions of the sound matched yours, it means that I'm not as bad at describing (and hearing) things as I'd thought
smily_headphones1.gif
. They have over 100 hours of burn in now, and I think they sound great (although I haven't had a proper listening session yet
frown.gif
). They should get more over the holiday weekend, so hopefully next week...
wink.gif

I don't know if anywhere else supplies the W2002 pads, as a couple of people replied to my initial enquiry with the Audiocubes answer. I have a pair on order, I'll let you know how they are.

It's not your standard Mr. Sheen silicone stuff mate........ it's "Mansion wax" as approved by her Maj the queen (royal seal of approval blah blah) I'll send you a knob of the stuff if you PM your details...... will save you buying a tin.

Have a good Easter break.

All the best.

Mike.

Mar 25, 2005 at 1:48 AM Post #59 of 62
One coat of wax is all you need....... I waxed about 20 times but there's no advantage to be had by power waxing... the solvents in the wax will dissolve your previous coating of wax so if you wax 600 times it's the same as waxing once......... I'd recommend waxing 10 times initially (just to ensure maximum coverage of the wood) and then leave the wood alone ....... clean with a feather duster or lint free cloth and maybe rewax a year later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back