any Audio Technica ATH-M40FS or M50 users?
Dec 5, 2007 at 9:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Iamgag7

New Head-Fier
How are these headphones for the price range? do they require an amp? are they comfortable? are they relatively flat in frequency response?

i was wondering how well these would serve as a headphone to make rough music mixes with on my computer...

thanks

Dec 5, 2007 at 2:21 PM Post #2 of 10
I have the M50, but have tried the M40fs. The latter definitely needs an amp, the M50's resolution is improved with an amp. The M40 was flat, the M50 slightly bassy when unamped. They're pretty comfy (although I have a small head). The M50's pretty neutral and accurate once amped, in my opinion.

Dec 5, 2007 at 3:13 PM Post #3 of 10
I love my M-50's. They're my "rainy day" headphones when I don't want to take my RS-1's outside. Coupled with the Tomahawk I find them very musical and tight sounding. The bass, although hyped, is extremely fast and rhythmic. They would be a wonderful studio monitoring headphone. Multi Grammy winner Al Schmitt told me they're his favorite.

Dec 6, 2007 at 5:39 AM Post #6 of 10
yes, you're right. the m40fs has 60 ohm impedance, while the m50 has only 38 ohm impedance...

but.. the m40fs have 5hz-28khz response, have "flat response" in the description, but the m50 only have 15hz-28khz response, and doesnt have "flat response" in the description...

damnit..why are the m50's more expensive?

Dec 6, 2007 at 6:37 PM Post #7 of 10
The quoted response ranges won't tell much about the sound of the headphone imo. Good response range doesn't always mean an accurate sound. M50's in a totally different league than the M40fs. It's more robust, made from better materials and has a better driver than the M40. M50's pretty accurate and detailed imo (and I used to be involved in school musicals and stuff), except for a slight emphasis on the lower bass (kick drums and such). I got mine for $130ish shipped from Ebay some months ago. I'm sure there are other monitoring headphones in your price range, if the M50's a bit steep...

Feb 10, 2008 at 9:00 AM Post #9 of 10
yeah, the M50s are good phones for rock or hip-hop.... nice forward mids, very detailed over most of the spectrum, these have a warm sound sig, pretty dynamic...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back