Any audio engineers here?
Mar 17, 2003 at 8:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Ohoen

100+ Head-Fier
I'm thinking of enrolling in a program here in Montreal that teaches recording and sound engineering. I'd like to speak to some people who are already working in this field, if possible, though. Any pros out there who can give me some advice?

Mar 17, 2003 at 8:37 PM Post #2 of 16
Where's Mike Walker when you need him?
wink.gif

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Mar 18, 2003 at 9:36 AM Post #3 of 16
Im going to be enrolling in the SAE in Sydney next year straight after i finish year 12, I can't wait !!!! and best part is i'll be able to con loads of things out of my parents i.e Apple powerbook and headphones of course!!!

Mar 18, 2003 at 2:22 PM Post #5 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by Ohoen
I'm thinking of enrolling in a program here in Montreal that teaches recording and sound engineering. I'd like to speak to some people who are already working in this field, if possible, though. Any pros out there who can give me some advice?

Have you looked into the program at Fanshawe in London? I took audio engineering at OIART in London and in some respects the Fanshawe course seemed better. I'm not sure how it is considered now. There is also supposed to be a good program in Stoney Creek but I forget the name of it at the moment.

Mar 19, 2003 at 7:02 PM Post #6 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by elnero
Have you looked into the program at Fanshawe in London? I took audio engineering at OIART in London and in some respects the Fanshawe course seemed better. I'm not sure how it is considered now. There is also supposed to be a good program in Stoney Creek but I forget the name of it at the moment.

I'm really only looking locally as I'm halfway through a BA here in Montreal and plan to continue taking courses at night even if I do enroll in one of these programs. Did you look into programs in North America and find them lacking or did London just seem like a hoot? I'd love to live in London for a while but moving's not in the cards right now. Anyway, Montreal's no slouch.

Mar 19, 2003 at 11:11 PM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

I'm really only looking locally as I'm halfway through a BA here in Montreal and plan to continue taking courses at night even if I do enroll in one of these programs. Did you look into programs in North America and find them lacking or did London just seem like a hoot? I'd love to live in London for a while but moving's not in the cards right now. Anyway, Montreal's no slouch.

Hehe, sorry, that's London, Ontario. Not nearly as exciting as London, England I'd wager. It was quite hard to track down a decent course when I went in 1991 I believe it was. The internet allows for much more research these days.

LobsterSan,

The course I took was a year long intensive course at a private institute. Pretty much eat, sleep and breathe audio. Classes all day long and labs at all hours of the night. The Fanshawe course is at a regular college so I believe it's less intensive but it's spread over a period of two years. In the long run I think the longer course at Fanshawe would have served someone going into the industry better. I guess it would really depend on where you wanted to go and the time requirements of the course but I would say it would be pretty hard to hold down a job and go to one of the more intensive courses.

Mar 20, 2003 at 5:44 AM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Just got back from four days in Montreal, and its indeed no slouch. I've been there twelve times in the past five years and would spend even more time there if I could afford it and had the time available. IMO, its THE best city in North America! More beautiful women than anywhere else, great food, and unbelievable affordability compared to any remotely comparable place. Throw in amazing architecture, virtually zero crime, great bars/pubs, theaters, arts etc.!
My friend owns the best pub in the city, and I virtually live there when I am in Montreal. Incredible city.

JC

Mar 20, 2003 at 8:09 PM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by Nightfall

My friend owns the best pub in the city, and I virtually live there when I am in Montreal. Incredible city.
JC

And what, pray tell, is this pub called? I'll have to go if I haven't been already.

Elnero, oops, I guess that should have occurred to me right away. I've been in Canada three years now and those little things still get me sometimes.

Mar 21, 2003 at 5:42 AM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

And what, pray tell, is this pub called? I'll have to go if I haven't been already.

Elnero, oops, I guess that should have occurred to me right away. I've been in Canada three years now and those little things still get me sometimes.

McKibbins Irish Pub - on Bishop Street........go on a Saturday night, the crowds of lovely women alone are amazing, not to mention great music (ALWAYS good bands) and atmosphere. There are three floors, the basement is a small pub to relax and chat (and a nice selection of single malts), the second, or main floor, where you walk in is where I mostly live, but the third floor with its dance club theme certainly attracts an interesting crowd of women too.
My home away from home, of all places on this earth.

JC

Mar 21, 2003 at 4:46 PM Post #12 of 16
Oh yes, I know McKibbins well. I love it when the Irish Folk music crowd just sits down to jam in the middle of the afternoon. I've really never found this anywhere else.

Mar 21, 2003 at 11:12 PM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Oh yes, I know McKibbins well. I love it when the Irish Folk music crowd just sits down to jam in the middle of the afternoon. I've really never found this anywhere else.

Then you've never been to the Maritimes.
wink.gif

Mar 21, 2003 at 11:33 PM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by elnero
Then you've never been to the Maritimes.
wink.gif

No, but I'm DYING to go. Honestly, as soon as the opportunity presents itself. I might get out there for the Targa Newfoundland next fall if they run again... fingers crossed.

Mar 23, 2003 at 1:10 AM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

No, but I'm DYING to go. Honestly, as soon as the opportunity presents itself. I might get out there for the Targa Newfoundland next fall if they run again... fingers crossed.

I've been wanting to get to the Maritimes myself. I've met too many good people from St. Johns and Halifax that talk about the great pubs, music, oh and women too!

JC

Users who are viewing this thread

Back