Any Asus motherboard owners out there?
Jan 13, 2002 at 7:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

Flumpus

Needs more Soylent Greento become Omega Man
Hey guys, thought I'd post about this, to vent and maybe there's someone out there who has experienced this.

I just got a brand new Asus P4B266 motherboard, a P4 1.6ghz proc, 512mb ddr 2100 memory, a 60gb hard drive, new case, etc...

So I plug everything in, and I turn it on. The pc speakers makes this horrible high pitched beeping noise, so I turn it off. I look in the motherboard manual for the beep code, and the closest I can find is continuous long beeps (bad ram), which is kinda like this, but this is really just one continous beep, not lots of long ones. So I went out today and bought new ram (it's hard to find someone with a tester for ddr ram), and that didn't help. I can take everything out and it still does the same thing. I'm assuming it's the motherboard, and right after I call Asus on Monday I'm planning to send it back. Anyone with similar experiences? Any help would be appreciated... Thanks.

Jan 13, 2002 at 8:14 AM Post #2 of 28
try reseating ur vid card
smily_headphones1.gif

is it like beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee....eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep?

Jan 13, 2002 at 8:16 AM Post #3 of 28
Beep code for a video card is different... I could try another video card, but if there is no video card in it there should be a long beep followed by three short beeps according to the book...

Jan 13, 2002 at 8:44 AM Post #4 of 28
do u get display?
are there ne stops in the beeps?

prob not ur vid card

it looks like its a ram problem like u said ealier...
other possibility is psu prob...

did u try a bare bone setup?
take out hdd fdd soundcard and stuff?

Jan 13, 2002 at 11:01 AM Post #6 of 28
Hmm, one of my biggest problems has always been CPU seating...make sure that baby is shoved in as deep as possible, as part of the checkthrough. Also make sure the RAM is seated in deeply as well. Loose RAM can give a computer hell too. Asus makes pretty high quality mobos, but now with what you're saying this makes the 2nd Asus product that seems to be fussy to work with. Back when I was in Hong Kong building a computer for my sisters and brother living there, I worked with an Asus board, and I gotta say it wasn't as easy as working with an Abit board, or even my current MSI board during the initial setup stage. As far as the tweakable boards go, I'd give the nod to Abit.

BTW, if you don't intend to overclock, Intel's boards actually deserve a very well look into, because they are extremely stable and literally work with everything...just the ones without onboard integrated crap at least. I've been using an Intel board as the mobo on my secondary "back at home" computer that I pass older sound/video boards into for the past 3-4 years now, and the board has never, ever acted up on me, or ever had problems with any hardware I decide to toss into it. Really nice piece of work, as long as you don't mind plain vanilla features and want rock solid stability.

Jan 13, 2002 at 3:30 PM Post #7 of 28
Hey Flumpus,

That Asus P4B266 is one of the very first shipping motherboards that use the "new" Intel 845D chipset (which is essentially the crappy i845 chipset with support for DDR memory). So any motherboard that is of the very first PCB and BIOS revision will have some bugs in it. [Guess what? I think I would have chosen the Asus P4S333 (which uses the SiS645 DDR chipset - the "i850/RDRAM killer") over the P4B266 if I were to upgrade my P3-700/P3B-F-based system to a P4.]

Vertigo-1, most currently shipping P4 motherboards will work in existing ATX cases, but recommend an ATX 2.03-compliant PSU. Intel's P4 motherboards, OTOH, require a P4-specific ATX case and a P4-specific PSU. And all of Intel's retail-boxed motherboards ship with all that onboard audio crap (its onboard 10/100 NIC, OTOH, is actually decent). And fortunately for those of you who would rather use add-in cards for audio and networking, that integrated stuff on Intel's motherboards can be turned off through the BIOS. And lastly, Intel's motherboards have NO overclocking features whatsoever - with their single-jumper CPU setup procedure, you move the jumper to one position to set the CPU speed (which, BTW, is auto-detected when the BIOS Setup Menu automatically appears). You then save the settings and exit the BIOS setup, and then a message will tell you to turn off your system. Then you move the single jumper back to its "normal" position, which locks the auto-detected CPU settings in place. (Oh, BTW, Intel's BIOS Setup Menu looks almost identical to Asus's; the only difference is that Asus uses a Phoenix/Award BIOS, while Intel uses an AMI BIOS.)

Jan 13, 2002 at 3:38 PM Post #8 of 28
Quote:

I'm assuming it's the motherboard, and right after I call Asus on Monday I'm planning to send it back. Anyone with similar experiences? Any help would be appreciated... Thanks.

before sending it back maybe you can take it to a computer repairer and have them check it out? A local repairer at a small shop, what they have is lots of spare parts to found your problems quickly..

Jan 13, 2002 at 4:34 PM Post #9 of 28
I get no display at all... I'm pretty sure it's not a memory problem because I tried different (brand new) memory from a local shop. I findi t hard to believe every single stick of memory I've tried has been bad.

It's not the processor because it should at least post and tell me there is no processor without one, but it does the same thing. I tried this without anything in there but the memory...

Hopefully I can work it out with Asus when I call tomorrow. They may be easier to work with warranty wise than the place I bought it from, not sure...

I probably do plan to mess around with overclocking, as I think it's fun
smily_headphones1.gif
I know there are probably bugs with this new chipset right now, but I'm willing to be patient while they work them out. And my problem is a little more than just a bug
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks for the comments guys, I'll post what happens when I talk to Asus...

Jan 13, 2002 at 8:34 PM Post #10 of 28
Have you tried to see by removing all memory and if you are getting the same continuous beep?

I havent had ne probs with cpu seating...most of my probs is the vid card seating coz of the stupid big ass cpu fan i glue on to it =).
It needs help to be supported
biggrin.gif

Other than that...Have you checked whether you've got enuff power?

Some older computers make a continuous beep when there is a SHORT !! so check to see if there's contact with the case...

Prob the last thing i'd do b4 taking it back...

Jan 13, 2002 at 9:07 PM Post #11 of 28
I hate to say it, but Asus QA is really dropping the ball these days. My A7V will not accept any flash upgrades without locking up. Their latest boards rank badly on Tom's site. There is actually an independent Asus BUG SUPPORT FORUM on the internet!! What the hell is going on with these guys?!?

Soyo gets my dough next time.

Jan 13, 2002 at 9:08 PM Post #12 of 28
Quote:

Some older computers make a continuous beep when there is a SHORT !! so check to see if there's contact with the case...

Hmm, that's a good catch I forgot...I had a problem with that once myself, had to reseat the entire mobo and place those rings between it and the case's platter to make things work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back