Any anime series that you've been enjoying?
Apr 14, 2009 at 5:22 PM Post #2,327 of 6,444
Quote:

Originally Posted by MikoLayer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know some of you would be overjoyed with this, I am
smily_headphones1.gif

f003895749e24851a475d.jpg

[OFFICIAL] Kyou's OVA confirmed to be included in the DVD vol.8, TV preview version will be on 5/24

There you go, appophylite. Now you have your wish granted
smily_headphones1.gif

Oh God........It's so pretty........

Apr 15, 2009 at 7:17 PM Post #2,328 of 6,444
nevermind that I said I don't care for K-on! OP/ED... those songs (ED in particular) got stuck in my head and now must wait for the CD release myself as well..

Tears to Tiara and Senjou no Valkyuria look like keepers, judging by the first couple of episodes. I did hear quite a few things about the TtT game, but didn't realize how loaded it was with seiyuu. Went on the official website for character page and my jaw dropped
redface.gif
redface.gif
:O On a side note, one thing I don't get about some of these shows is just how utterly useless plate mail armor is. Not that I want them to become some sort of an ode to strict realism, just that I happen to be a bit of fan of heavy armor
tongue.gif

Apr 15, 2009 at 10:46 PM Post #2,329 of 6,444
Quote:

On a side note, one thing I don't get about some of these shows is just how utterly useless plate mail armor is. Not that I want them to become some sort of an ode to strict realism, just that I happen to be a bit of fan of heavy armor
tongue.gif

The visuals for fighting in/against realistic full plate armor don't lend themselves to the quick, flashy, and often quirky fighting styles usually seen in anime. Plus, realistic full plate armor would obsolete the katana and everyone loves katana.

Apr 16, 2009 at 12:33 AM Post #2,330 of 6,444
True, agreed with your reasoning. It just bugs me that those on the receiving end appear in heavy armor, reinforcing the myth that armor = useless.

In case of Tears of Tiara, Arthur was using what resembles a broad sword (or a one handed sword of similar size and occidental origin) from what a I recall. Speaking of another Leaf/Aquaplus SRPG, Utawarerumono had a more oriental worldview and setting, where cutting through armor looked a whole lot more likely.

Apr 16, 2009 at 2:46 AM Post #2,331 of 6,444
Okay, i said i'd drop it. But I gave FMA09 another go because episode 2 is where they die (the best part of the original series by a long way).
Holy crap it was awful.
Is anyone here seriously still watching it after this?
It gets my official stamp of approval as "Worst anime of the season".
A huge disappointment.
[size=xx-small]Still watching: K-on, Saki, Sengoku Basara.
So far this season is better than last, but still pretty bad compared to several seasons ago (lucky star, TTGL, ouran, school rumble).[/size]

Apr 16, 2009 at 4:51 AM Post #2,332 of 6,444
Quote:

Originally Posted by CDBacklash /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Okay, i said i'd drop it. But I gave FMA09 another go because episode 2 is where they die (the best part of the original series by a long way).
Holy crap it was awful.
A huge disappointment.
[size=xx-small]Still watching: K-on, Saki, Sengoku Basara.
So far this season is better than last, but still pretty bad compared to several seasons ago (lucky star, TTGL, ouran, school rumble).[/size]

I stopped quarter-way through episode 2. The slow, filler-style presentation that also does not induce any curiosity in the watcher in me was just too much to take. Did something big actually happen at the end of that episode?

Apr 16, 2009 at 5:24 AM Post #2,333 of 6,444
To be honest, I stopped about 1/4 of the way through as well.
They rushed the best bit of the story and presented it as mere padding.
Did you notice a huge drop in animation quality as well? 1 looked good, 2 looked... not so much.
[size=xx-small]Sensationalism also got the best of them in episode two - the collective consciousness (who totally looked like the antispiral dude from TTGL + had the exact same attitude) said that Edward's gift of knowledge was the result of him giving up an equal exchange - i.e. his leg. Surely for such a potent increase in knowledge and power (the ability to use alchemy without a transmutation circle) his brother alphonse would be something bordering on a god...
I'm not particularly a fan of the original series- but I do enjoy the manga. I'd prefer to have not seen a remake than the abomination that this seems to be turning out to be.[/size]
as far as I am concerned at the moment FMA09 never hapened.

Apr 16, 2009 at 6:18 AM Post #2,334 of 6,444
Quote:

True, agreed with your reasoning. It just bugs me that those on the receiving end appear in heavy armor, reinforcing the myth that armor = useless.

To be fair though, the only squad level fighting so far in Tears involved a poorly trained garrison unit under ambush by a very capable, if lightly armored, unit. Given the circumstances, it turned out about right. And of course, Arthur can fight the wrong way against heavily armored foes because he's just that good...
ph34r.gif

Still, I'm somewhat disappointed that Tears is shaping up to be another warriors vs soldiers story with the ahistorical result of a warriors' victory.

Quote:

Holy crap it was awful.
A huge disappointment.

I take it you didn't catch Shangri-La? Easily beats out FMA:B for the worst start of the season.

And really, I don't think the FMA:B start was bad at all. The 're-cap' pacing in episode 2 is appropriate since FMA:B's audience has literally seen it all before.

Apr 16, 2009 at 6:25 AM Post #2,335 of 6,444
Quote:

They rushed the best bit of the story and presented it as mere padding.

Did you notice a huge drop in animation quality as well?

I'd assume they are doing it not to bore viewers who have already seen the first series, and whom would most likely make up the majority. But I agree the flashback could have been done in a more spectacular manner.

I did not so much pay attention to the animation quality but I did feel the same experience I had from the Naruto filler craps. At that point (on top of the flashback crap), I just stopped and continued watching Nijū Mensō no Musume.

Hopefully they don't turn this into a shipwreck; The new Slayers series is already a shameful shadow of the original one.

Edit: Is the soundtrack for FMA:B done by the same composer who did the ones for the first series?

Apr 16, 2009 at 7:00 AM Post #2,336 of 6,444
Quote:

Originally Posted by marvin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I take it you didn't catch Shangri-La? Easily beats out FMA:B for the worst start of the season.

And really, I don't think the FMA:B start was bad at all. The 're-cap' pacing in episode 2 is appropriate since FMA:B's audience has literally seen it all before.

FMA:B is a retelling (which diverges from the 03 series halfway through to follow the manga) and not a recap. To rush one of the most important parts of the story (how their journey got started) is a pretty bad move. If it is going to run the full year like many reports say it will, they could have spared a bit more time!
Honestly, so far, what we've had episode 1 which was a large scale original content that at this point in time is of nil consequence because they killed the character off (and there are no reports that it will have any impact on the story vs the manga - which the ice alchemist doesnt occur in) and then we have the rushed beginnings. No thanks. 2/10 for the series. Pending what others say from various sites i visit, I may be inclined to take it up again.
P.S. Whats with the wide-face art style? Mustang and child winry both have it. This isnt hidamari sketch. At least they did kid alphonse well
smily_headphones1.gif

Shangri-La was pretty funny, as far as its propaganda undertones go, sort of in the same way the mahjong related drama in saki strikes me as hilarious.

Apr 17, 2009 at 3:49 AM Post #2,338 of 6,444
So, going contrary to my normal MO, I actually decided to take a look at the first episodes for K-On! and Saki today, and I'm very happy with the start for both. I have high hopes for both being entertaining rides, especially K-On! which just reeks of KyoAni's style.

Right now, I'm trying to get to the end of RahXephon, and I find myself becoming more and more unmotivated by the series as I get closer to the conclusion...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back