Any anime series that you've been enjoying?
Oct 6, 2006 at 5:53 AM Post #1,051 of 6,444
Quote:

Originally Posted by trains are bad
I'm just watching Evangelion for the first time, despite my aversion for anything featuring teenage main characters and/or giant robots. It's pretty good so far, thought it does show its age.

I didn't really like Evangelion much the first time I watched it; it took a few viewings for me to warm up to it. I'm still not huge on all the forced symbolism and Shinji's incessant whininess, but the series is still pretty good overall.

Skip episodes 25 & 26 and watch The End of Evangelion instead. I'd estimate they had a budget of about $10, and a couple guys they dragged off the street, to make the original ending.
rolleyes.gif

Oct 6, 2006 at 7:15 AM Post #1,052 of 6,444
Quote:

Originally Posted by ak622
d gray man is now out. Give that one a try!

saint.panda - who is subbing black lagoon 2?

Shinsen-Subs.

Oct 7, 2006 at 3:02 PM Post #1,053 of 6,444
Flag is absolutely awesome. If you are an old dork like me and grew up on robot anime, you'll appreciate this.

Lots of good new shows this season (and last). Deathnote, Pumpkin Scissors, Code GEASS, Galaxy Railways 2, Bokura ga Ita, Zegapain, Welcome to the NHK...

Oct 7, 2006 at 5:18 PM Post #1,054 of 6,444
Wow there are a lot of anime fans here, and I thought it was a music forum
biggrin.gif

Some of my favorite series:

Trigun - It's got a great story line, pretty deep if you ask me.

Berserk - Just freaking awesome, so much blood and gore, awesome fight scenes.

Dragon Ball Z - okay, flame me now, but I love Dragon Ball Z, GT, and just plain old DB. I like the fights, though I do hate how 2/3 of the episodes were them standing talking. Long series, but it's great.

Serial Experiments: Lain - Crazy awesome story about the internet(or something I'm not entirely sure) I watched about 8 episdoes once when I stayed at my friends place, it's an awesome story, pretty hard to follow, though it might have just been becuase it was 9 in the morning after staying up all night and me falling asleep every 5 minutes(lol) I'd highly recommend it though.

Evangelion - It's an alright anime, my friend is addicted to it, but I'm not the biggest fan of mechs and the such. Still a pretty interesting story line to it.

Love Hina - Another one of my favorites, awesome love story about a guy in college that lives with a bunch of storys(sorry if that's wrong, it's been a good year since I watched it last) Good story line if you like the sappy romance type.

Ai Yori Aoishi - Right up there with Love Hina, pretty much the same deal, I'd say I like this one better than Love Hina though.

Samuri Champloo - Awesome anime about a couple travelling samurai that are followed by a woman looking for her father(I think) Good fight scenes, pretty decent story, and personally I think it had one of the best endings of any anime I've watched. Most leave me with a sense that they aren't finished, but this one pretty much closes it up.

.hack// - An anime about an online video game that is putting people in to comas, it follows a charcter that is stuck in the game and can't log out. It's an odd plot to it, but it's good. I love the soundtrack too, highly recommended.

Cowboy Bebop - Not my favorite, but I'd say watch it just becuase it's a classic. About some travelling bountry hunters and their lives. Deep story line that you have to watch a few times to grasp it all.

Naruto - Again, it's pretty good, but not my favorite. It's quite long, so it's hard to get in to it with out a ton of free time to watch them. I think I watched the first 150 or so episodes of it, it's okay, story line gets old after awhile, repetative, but it gets good around the testing times. I'd say watch it if it's on tv, otherwise don't bother looking for them all and watching them all unless you really like ninja's and idiot main characters.

I'm sure there are tons of other anime that I've watched and forgotten about, but these are the main ones in my mine. I looked through the first 5 or 6 pages of the thread and I'm downloading Honey and Clover, and Elfen Lied, so I'll see how those are.

Oct 7, 2006 at 5:56 PM Post #1,055 of 6,444
Quote:

Originally Posted by xelion
Serial Experiments: Lain - Crazy awesome story about the internet(or something I'm not entirely sure) I watched about 8 episdoes once when I stayed at my friends place, it's an awesome story, pretty hard to follow, though it might have just been becuase it was 9 in the morning after staying up all night and me falling asleep every 5 minutes(lol) I'd highly recommend it though.

Since Lain is still one of my favourite shows, I must instruct you to go back and rewatch it in its entirety when you're wide awake, until you've picked up on everything. If you haven't picked up on the religious themes, you've missed half the story.
eek.gif

It's really is worth watching properly though, I saw parts of a few episodes and a couple years later it was still itching at the back of my mind until I got it on DVD.

Oct 7, 2006 at 10:23 PM Post #1,059 of 6,444
Just finished the first episode of Death Note and felt like giving a brief impression. I've already read the manga so there was nothing that really surprised me storywise. The animation was good, smooth and overall dark to set the mood. OP and ED songs were good. Two of our main characters have been introduced and seems like the next episode will introduce their adversary.

My only complaint is that they seemed to make Light a bit too insane from the beginning. The manga seemed to give him more development before he went into his "I am God" phase. That's why in the manga I actually felt some sympathy for Light.

Oct 7, 2006 at 10:28 PM Post #1,060 of 6,444
Quote:

Originally Posted by YamiTenshi
Just finished the first episode of Death Note and felt like giving a brief impression. I've already read the manga so there was nothing that really surprised me storywise. The animation was good, smooth and overall dark to set the mood. OP and ED songs were good. Two of our main characters have been introduced and seems like the next episode will introduce their adversary.

My only complaint is that they seemed to make Light a bit too insane from the beginning. The manga seemed to give him more development before he went into his "I am God" phase. That's why in the manga I actually felt some sympathy for Light.

This sounds really cool.

Oct 8, 2006 at 6:03 AM Post #1,061 of 6,444
i just watched the first Death Note as well and I agree with all the above. Light really shouldn't turn into a god-crazed loony that quickly. the ending credits didn't help any either, with all that evil-Light red splitting and stuff.

Oct 9, 2006 at 2:36 AM Post #1,062 of 6,444
I've heard (read) this in a couple of animes now: "If you meet a man, kill the man. If you meet a god, kill the god." I've Googled and found nothing, but I'm sure it must be a quote from Japanese or Chinese literature.

Can anyone help me with this one?

Quote:

Originally Posted by xelion
Serial Experiments: Lain - Crazy awesome story about the internet (or something, I'm not entirely sure). I watched about 8 episodes once when I stayed at my friends place, it's an awesome story, pretty hard to follow, though it might have just been because it was 9 in the morning after staying up all night and me falling asleep every 5 minutes (lol). I'd highly recommend it though.

***SPOILERS***
I really wanted to like Lain, having gotten a lot out of Texhnolyze, so I was okay with shouting "What the hell is going on?" at the screen at least twice an episode. But when it got to the end I realised that it didn't really make sense. How could Lain bring dead people back to life in the real world and erase everyone's memories, or (alternate explanation) turn back time?

I think too many animes have weird mystical endings, rather than bothering to write a last episode that makes sense.

Oct 9, 2006 at 2:47 AM Post #1,063 of 6,444
Quote:

Originally Posted by eyeresist
I think too many animes have weird mystical endings, rather than bothering to write a last episode that makes sense.

I didn't think that much of it was too subtle really. There's a lot of details people still debate about, but the overall idea is the same...

***SPOILER WARNING****

Lain is the equivalent of Jesus or some other kind of higher power, and she's sacrificing herself for the sake of everybody else.

Oct 13, 2006 at 10:14 PM Post #1,064 of 6,444
It's been almost a year since I've seen an anime I really enjoyed. The last being Gundam Seed. Other animes I was watching were Naruto and Bleach, but both seemed to have gone off on fillers indefinitely.
mad.gif

So last week I decided to start watching anime again to see what I've been missing. The most logical starting point was Gundam Seed Destiny to finish off the story of GS. And as with most animes I watch I feel obligated to give a brief review (rant) of my thoughts.
tongue.gif

Like everyone said the sequel was a disappointment when compared to the original. The most obvious problem the series had was the lack of direction. Whereas in in GS there was a clear point to the story from ep 1 and every ep progressed the story until the final battle, Destiny seemed to start off going in one direction and then lost focus somewhere in between. Not only did the story suddenly change but it seemed like they even changed the main characters. And the ending was nowhere as exciting as GS. There were also too many flashbacks and reused battle scenes, another indicator that somewhere the production team began to run out of story. The most interesting characters had already been developed fully in GS, so to force them to change again for Destiny was really pushing it. The new characters in Destiny either weren't fully developed or they seemed illogical and didn't really learn anything (cough*Shinn*cough).
mad.gif

But... in the end I still thought it was a good series. The problem that most people have with Destiny is that it is compared too closely to GS. I took a year off from my first watching of GS so I could give Destiny a fair viewing. As far as animes go it was a above average. Whereas GS had a stronger finish then beginning, Destiny started better than it ended mostly because, as I mentioned above, the story seemed to lose focus and change somewhere in the middle.
frown.gif

It seemed I will be diving back into animes again. Two animes that have caught my attention are Death Note and D.Gray-Man. Hopefully they won't be let downs.

Oct 13, 2006 at 11:13 PM Post #1,065 of 6,444
Recently saw "Paprika" -- full-length feature by Satoshi Kon. Intriguing and entertaining. Among the twists and turns, it really amplifies what I call Japan's disease of "terminal cuteness".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back