any amp/dac combo that beats Yulong U100 for 110$?
Nov 24, 2014 at 6:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

cj42

Head-Fier
hey,

i need help deciding whether to get the U100 for that price or to pass on it.
i own a SoundMAGIC HP100 headphones, these are my 1st "real headphones", i'm currently using them with SMSL sAp-5 amp + my laptop/cellphone (LG G2) as sources.
i was initially thinking about getting either hifimediy U2 or stoner accoustics UD120 and use it with the sap-5 for the time being , and build o2 later on. now i came across the U100 for 110$ and it got me thinking whether i should get. its a 3 years old amp/dac so there might be better options nowadays for lower price and that made me open this thread so i can ask you.

any help would be appreciated.
thanks.

Nov 24, 2014 at 8:49 PM Post #2 of 14
I'm guessing that is not US Dollars? The U100 sells for ~$225 USD on ebay. If your current amp is working well for you, then I would only buy another DAC/amp if you're curious to try something else. I've never seen huge differences from using different solid state amps within the same general price range and low-to-medium priced headphones. With that said, if you have hard to drive headphones, and the current amp doesn't have the gain or current to get the job done, then sure, an amp that does have the power will make a big difference.

Nov 24, 2014 at 9:13 PM Post #3 of 14
actually it is USD, thats what got me curious about it. the price is for a group buy (and black friday discount at the same time).
the HP100 scale up very well to better amping - according to other head fiers, + i'm curious as well (and i might upgrade in the future / get other headphones that'll need a good amp).
my current amp is a 50$ portable amp (not that close to the U100's price range), it improved the sound (gave it more body and more impact). i have no idea what better amps would do though.

thanks for replying :)

Nov 26, 2014 at 8:20 PM Post #5 of 14
I am on the same boat. I am torn between the O2/Odac combo or the Yulong U100 because if the U100 is not too much of an upgrade from my fiio e18 amp/dac, then I'd like to go for my first option. Hope we get some help here. From what I have read, the U100 is on the warmer side but again that is relative.

Nov 26, 2014 at 8:28 PM Post #6 of 14
I'm guessing that is not US Dollars? The U100 sells for ~$225 USD on ebay. If your current amp is working well for you, then I would only buy another DAC/amp if you're curious to try something else. I've never seen huge differences from using different solid state amps within the same general price range and low-to-medium priced headphones. With that said, if you have hard to drive headphones, and the current amp doesn't have the gain or current to get the job done, then sure, an amp that does have the power will make a big difference.

Being that the O2/odac is supposed to supply a very neutral sound and "no" coloration, are there amps (and is the U100 one of them) that would come close to neutral to get the best out of your headphones? $110 to $250 is a big price gap and if there is not a huge difference than selecting the cheapest would be the way to go but if the differences are big then who knows...

Nov 27, 2014 at 12:32 PM Post #7 of 14
I'm curious about the device at this pricepoint as well. It's on massdrop at half off.

Nov 28, 2014 at 8:43 PM Post #8 of 14
I am also interested in this drop. It's a product from 2011 but still, maybe at this price point its woeth it. I don't know.

Nov 29, 2014 at 4:41 PM Post #13 of 14
https://i.imgur.com/5GdeKBi.png

the photos in his listing are for mk1 as well.
idk , i feel its too good to be true (the price at massdrop is 170$) , and the description in the listing (including) the photos tells its mk1.. i think i'll pass on this .. thanks though

Nov 29, 2014 at 5:08 PM Post #14 of 14
  https://i.imgur.com/5GdeKBi.png

the photos in his listing are for mk1 as well.
idk , i feel its too good to be true (the price at massdrop is 170$) , and the description in the listing (including) the photos tells its mk1.. i think i'll pass on this .. thanks though

You also have to consider that the Massdrop listing comes with a Genalex. Still, I do agree that it's unclear as to whether or not it's an MK1 or 2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back