Any amp advice / suggestion for Beyerdynamic DT990 600 ohm version? :)
Jan 30, 2011 at 12:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Bencrest

100+ Head-Fier
I did try using the search tool, but it returned millions of unrelated threads so I gave up! :D

Decided to treat myself to a new pair of cans and settled on a new Manufaktur set of DT990s, 600ohm model. They will be here in about 2 weeks I imagine, so that gives me time to investigate amps and things :)

I'm currently using an Aune DAC / AMP, the usual HiFiDIY design which you can get on eBay. I've been pretty happy with it to be honest, driving my AKG K702s (which I've just sold),

However, I've no experience of 600ohm cans, specifically these models. Perhaps someone who owns a DT990 600R model would chuck me some advice?

Jan 30, 2011 at 1:04 PM Post #2 of 5

Quote:
I did try using the search tool, but it returned millions of unrelated threads so I gave up! :D

Decided to treat myself to a new pair of cans and settled on a new Manufaktur set of DT990s, 600ohm model. They will be here in about 2 weeks I imagine, so that gives me time to investigate amps and things :)

I'm currently using an Aune DAC / AMP, the usual HiFiDIY design which you can get on eBay. I've been pretty happy with it to be honest, driving my AKG K702s (which I've just sold),

However, I've no experience of 600ohm cans, specifically these models. Perhaps someone who owns a DT990 600R model would chuck me some advice?

I have one pair of DT990's "originals" 20 years old or so with 600 Ohm and I am driving them with the Concerto and with the Sonett and both amps are very good in my opinion. To mention is that the efficiency of the DT 990's is not very good. Thats means that I have to turn up the volume relatively high to get a good sound. I compare this to the T1 which also have 600 Ohm.

Jan 30, 2011 at 2:55 PM Post #3 of 5
You might take a gander at the FiiO e9.  I've *read* that it's more than powerful enough to power the dt990/600s.  I personally plan on picking up an e7+e9 to power the dt990s when I buy a set this summer.

Jan 30, 2011 at 3:50 PM Post #4 of 5
There is à difference between supplying enough power an making it sound good.
I don't own the e9 but someone described it as boring with THE dt9900/600.
I would advise à tube amp, but there are lots of posts on this issue.
Good luck!

Jan 30, 2011 at 4:08 PM Post #5 of 5

Quote:
There is à difference between supplying enough power an making it sound good.
I don't own the e9 but someone described it as boring with THE dt9900/600.
I would advise à tube amp, but there are lots of posts on this issue.
Good luck!

hm..I dont think that there is a difference  between them. In my opinion you need enough power to drive them and as a conclusion to sound good. And the only reason for that is the fact of 600 Ohm. But of course I can be wrong..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back