Any Alternatives to the iMod /DIYmod yet?
Sep 29, 2012 at 12:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Seaningtime

New Head-Fier
I've been using DIYmod ipods with my car's sound system for around 3-4 years now, and I really love the sound quality and functionality of it all.
But... the ipods and cables and everything break so often that it's really getting frustrating to replace and repair little parts having to do with the ipod every few months.

I don't really know where the market is now, as I haven't been looking into it for a few years.
But, is there anything out there yet which has at least as good of sound quality as a DIYmod, with similar storage (32gigs+), can play flac and doesn't cost an arm and a leg?

Even something tablet sized may be considered... I don't know... Is there any awesome new products out there that may fit my needs?

Thanks

Sep 30, 2012 at 9:23 PM Post #3 of 7
Budget?

How about ipod touch 4G with flacplayer app? it has great sound.
you could pair it with a Fostex hp_p1 or a CLAS.

ibasso DX100 maybe?

imods are good and all but are really to improve a 2005 model.imho.

Sep 30, 2012 at 9:59 PM Post #4 of 7
Budget, say up to around $500?
I know that the ipod videos are old, but they aren't modded because they're old, they're modded because they have an exceptional DAC converter.
I've had a much newer ipod classic and it sounded much worse than my diymod, even with lossless files and everything else the same.
So, I'm skeptical of the ipod touch.

And, ibasso?  I'll check into that, thanks

Sep 30, 2012 at 10:15 PM Post #5 of 7
Yes, I know why they are modded, thanks.....and I know they have the wolfson DAC in the 5G/5.5G (I have one). But the tech is still old by todays standards, Vinnie from Redwineaudio wrote that he didnt bother modding the more recent ones because they didnt really need it.
*My point was the tech is old and there are better products out there now.

But anyway, good luck. 

Maybe its easier and cheaper to stick with your imod If you are happy and like the sound, and do the repairs every once in a while.

Sep 30, 2012 at 10:30 PM Post #6 of 7
I think the newer ipods aren't modded because the dacs are lower quality.
I was thinking that it has been a while and there must be something newer out.
The ibasso looks pretty nice, but the price is a bit much for me, unfortunately.

Repairing and dealing with broken ipods is pretty annoying, but maybe it's my best bet right now

Users who are viewing this thread

Back