Any AKG Studio headphones problems
Apr 7, 2010 at 11:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

captian73

Headphoneus Supremus
I've just been on the AKG forum, and when it came to the Studio headphones (which I'm now looking at) most of the threads were about problems, which worries me a bit.

Any problems to report? Shall I ditch the K--1 series and go with the K--2 series instead as they come with a fixed cable. I know that we all want an easy cable mod, but can anyone report any problems?

Apr 8, 2010 at 2:18 PM Post #5 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by captian73 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've jsut been on the AKG forum, and when it came to the Studio headphones (which I'm now looking at) most of the threads were about problems, which worries me a bit.

Why should it bother you?

What else is there to discuss amongst studio professionals who view headphones with disdain and barley consider them an actual listening method?

They make sound! Great. There isnt much more that many studio professionals care about in a headphone. They sound like who cares, get speakers if you want to listen to something. Why discuss what nobody on that forum cares about? They broke, can you help me fix them? That's worth discussion.

Apr 9, 2010 at 7:51 AM Post #6 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by moonshake /img/forum/go_quote.gif
K271s (old ones, not MKII) owner with no probs at all so far. Been using them daily for years...

Quote:

Originally Posted by wern_d /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Been using the K271 MKII for nearly a yr, no problem

Thanks

Quote:

Originally Posted by nikongod /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why should it bother you?

What else is there to discuss amongst studio professionals who view headphones with disdain and barley consider them an actual listening method?

They make sound! Great. There isnt much more that many studio professionals care about in a headphone. They sound like who cares, get speakers if you want to listen to something. Why discuss what nobody on that forum cares about? They broke, can you help me fix them? That's worth discussion.

confused_face_2.gif

Apr 9, 2010 at 8:11 AM Post #7 of 17
I've owned quite a few pairs of AKG headphones and never had a single problem if that helps put your mind at ease at all. They are quite well built...

As for what nikongod said I believe he is trying to say that people (read: non-headphone nerds) don't care enough about headphones to actually talk about them unless they have an issue with them needing to be resolved. People almost never sing praise but scream problems in an almost operatic manner LOL.

Apr 9, 2010 at 8:20 AM Post #8 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Germancub /img/forum/go_quote.gif

As for what nikongod said I believe he is trying to say that people (read: non-headphone nerds) don't care enough about headphones to actually talk about them unless they have an issue with them needing to be resolved. People almost never sing praise but scream problems in an almost operatic manner LOL.

I just wanted to know if anyone had any problems. I was just looking for a simple 'yes' or 'no'. The AKG forum looks more like an open complaints department rather than a forum, however I didn't think is was unreasonable to put the question out there, before handing over my hard earned!

Thanks for your help.

Apr 9, 2010 at 8:22 AM Post #9 of 17
Totally understandable... buy them with confidence. I question Sennheiser build quality far before AKG as the headband on my HD600's broke within 6 months of careful use whereas my AKGs were perfect.

Apr 9, 2010 at 8:44 AM Post #10 of 17
Thanks for the advice. My HD650's are fine, but I know plenty of people who've broken the headband on their HD's.

I guess the next question is comfort rating, but that's a question for another time. I'm a bit of a whimp when it comes to comfort. I can only take my K518's and K450's for about 30 mins. But like i said, I'll find out when i get my next pair of AKG's ... a serious pair this time.

Apr 9, 2010 at 9:04 AM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by captian73 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the advice. My HD650's are fine, but I know plenty of people who've broken the headband on their HD's.

I guess the next question is comfort rating, but that's a question for another time. I'm a bit of a whimp when it comes to comfort. I can only take my K518's and K450's for about 30 mins. But like i said, I'll find out when i get my next pair of AKG's ... a serious pair this time.

Anytime... as far as comfort goes, by far the most comfortable are the K601s. The bumps on the K701 really hurt after about an hour and gave me a headache. The K271 is also comfortable as far as supra-aural goes but there is no contest to the 601's.

Apr 9, 2010 at 9:19 AM Post #12 of 17
My K271mkII still looks brand new after spending a year with me. No problems.

Apr 10, 2010 at 8:55 AM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shimmer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My K271mkII still looks brand new after spending a year with me. No problems.

Cool! And I'm assuming that because you've had them a year, that you're happy with them? My friend is advising that I get the 240's.

BTW how's the comfort?

Apr 10, 2010 at 9:52 AM Post #14 of 17
My K240 MKII are about one year old, and still work like a charm. About comfort I can tell you a funny story: once the sun was shining, and I still had my cans on without listening to music. As it shined on metal parts of the phones, I could see a reflection on the wall next to me. At first I didn't know where it comes from, but then I realized it was just my headphones, and I even forgot that I was wearing them ... :p

Apr 10, 2010 at 10:39 AM Post #15 of 17
Having given the K702's a listen for a few hours on a small headphone amp, there's only one complaint I could pose about them. That complaint is the mini-XLR plug, which I think is too big. The only other thing negative I've heard is that the plug can get stuck sometimes. I liked the sound reproduced by them and fully enjoyed my music (classic rock, some metal (Iron Maiden), some folk (John Gorka, Birdie Busch), and some other random stuff thrown in). I'll do a bit more borrowing in two months or so, but I was very pleased with comfort and quality.

Mind you, the majority of consumers will sooner complain then praise. Going to a brand-specific forum is practically Grand Central Station for people who have had issues of any sort. For further proof of this, check out most any computer motherboard manufacturer's forums.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back