Any advantages to upgraded power cables for head amps?
Jul 30, 2003 at 3:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Kenm

New Head-Fier
I own a Corda HA-1 mkll, hd600s with equinox. As most may know, the Corda allows for the power cable of your choice. As my entire system has PS Audio PCs throughout, connected to a power plant (amazing difference, this combo), I am wondering whether a head amp would likewise benefit before I put out the bucks for yet another cord (most likely an xstream prelude in this case). I could substitute cables from my system to experiment but that would be more cumberome and time consuming than beneficial for comparison purposes. Any thoughts?

Jul 30, 2003 at 6:26 PM Post #2 of 7
it does make a difference, but not as much as say a PC upgrade for your source.

Jul 30, 2003 at 7:57 PM Post #3 of 7
I agree with mclaren20. "Conventional wisdom" on the matter is best cord on your source. I do find power cables aided my Melos Maestro as well as my current Emmeline HR-2 (sshhhh... don't tel Ray
wink.gif
), though not as much as they have benefitted my source.

OTOH, you don't want to end up with a $500 power cord on a $350 amp. Check around for a used Virtual Dynamics Power 3 (I have a used Power 2 if you are interested, PM me), if you don't mind their stiffness, great cords for the $$.

Mark

Jul 30, 2003 at 11:12 PM Post #4 of 7
I went from a VD Power 3 to a VD Audition on my amp, and the changes were definitely nice. Not quite as much as they normally are on the source, but still notable

Jul 31, 2003 at 3:08 PM Post #6 of 7
I would say that upgrading internals is always better than cables. If you can successfully mod your unit, that's often a very good thing. Cables are more of a last 5-15% component.

Aug 1, 2003 at 8:05 AM Post #7 of 7
I have the HA2. Putting my source and headphone amp with a UO and a Prelude did make things better. Powercords onthe HA2 makes a substantial amount of difference but not necessary the Prelude. It does sound better than the stock cord and I wouldn't use a stock cord. But you get what you pay for. It's a decent cord but doesn't give you a dramatic effect especially if you're already using some powerconditioning.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back