Antony & The Johnsons
Nov 15, 2010 at 1:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

LeChuck

500+ Head-Fier
In spite of the lack of discussion, I know there has to be some Antony fans here on Head-Fi; his albums are not only phenomenal musically, but are well recorded. Swanlights was just released a month ago, and it doesn't go long without a listen.

Nov 15, 2010 at 5:41 PM Post #3 of 9
You're going to get a similar experience for all Antony albums, but The Crying Light is probably my least listened to albums of theirs. I find I Am a Bird Now to be more listenable and an all around more solid album. His new album, Swanlights, is also great, although I'm still breaking it in.

Nov 16, 2010 at 8:36 AM Post #6 of 9
I've been thinking about The Crying Light as my first Antony album. 
There was one track from it that sounded sublime when I heard it somewhere. But when I listened to other samples, the overall effect wasn't so great. Looks like should have a look at 'Bird and Swanlights.

Nov 16, 2010 at 1:06 PM Post #7 of 9
x2 on Bird.

It's good to hear that I wasn't the only one who wasn't a huge fan of the Crying Light.  And I didn't even know there's a new album out -- I'll have to pick it up.

Nov 17, 2010 at 5:57 PM Post #8 of 9
I believe I have everything from Antony and the Johnsons, and love their music. Liked every offering from the first spin. Just downloaded Swanlights last night and wasn't impressed after the first time through. I'll give it a second listen tonight after work. Maybe it'll grow on me. But what do I know? I liked Crying Light.

Nov 17, 2010 at 6:14 PM Post #9 of 9

Quote:
I believe I have everything from Antony and the Johnsons, and love their music. Liked every offering from the first spin. Just downloaded Swanlights last night and wasn't impressed after the first time through. I'll give it a second listen tonight after work. Maybe it'll grow on me. But what do I know? I liked Crying Light.

That's completely different from my experience. 
The Crying Light seemed to be just more of the same, just not as good, less inspired.
As TheAttorney said there are a few good songs, but listening to the whole album through is just too much, it gets boring. 
Swanlights in contrast felt like a breath of fresh air. There's more life in Antony's voice, even a bit of optimism I think. And it's more varied. As on his debut album he dares to experiment more with composition and arrangement, all this resulting in a much more stimulating listen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back