Antivirus thread! Antivirus-fi?
Jan 12, 2008 at 6:01 AM Post #31 of 62
OP here. Let's change the thread parameters a little...

ASSUME that you surf A LOT, and like clicking DUBIOUS LINKS... What would be a good defense pair or setup that would keep you safe?

Don't tell me stop surfing like that, those are the parameters! :p

Jan 12, 2008 at 6:30 AM Post #33 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by sandino /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OP here. Let's change the thread parameters a little...

ASSUME that you surf A LOT, and like clicking DUBIOUS LINKS... What would be a good defense pair or setup that would keep you safe?

Don't tell me stop surfing like that, those are the parameters! :p

antivirus, firewall, firefox, noscript.

Jan 12, 2008 at 12:30 PM Post #35 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by Outro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone else having issues with updating avg? I keep getting error messages with it.

I just tried and had no problems with it. If you're still having problems, what errors are you getting?

Jan 12, 2008 at 12:48 PM Post #36 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by sandino /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, the problem is I go to a lot of LAN shops, do my homework there, save it on a usb flash drive, continue doing it at home... BAM virus. I had a particularly nasty infection last month, I couldn't find any anti-virus software that could kill it... I had do it manually (kinda fun, but risky).

You guys ever kill viruses for sport? :p

I have killed viruses for sport
smily_headphones1.gif
I stopped using avg a long time ago because I noticed I never caught anything on my weekly scan. When I did caught something, I had to manually remove it
rolleyes.gif

Opera is the safest browser

Opera 9.x - Vulnerability Report - Secunia
Mozilla Firefox 2.0.x - Vulnerability Report - Secunia
Microsoft Internet Explorer 7.x - Vulnerability Report - Secunia

Jan 12, 2008 at 4:25 PM Post #38 of 62
I have been very happy with AVG Free for years as well as Comodo firewall (also free!).

Now I see Comodo has a Free A/V software!
Has anyone tried this yet?

Jan 12, 2008 at 6:15 PM Post #39 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No antivirus protection needed over here!
tongue.gif

Mac OS X is all I need...

Any security consultant would cringe at that statement...Hell, I do.

It's called security through obscurity, and it isn't security at all.

On topic, I use a mix of Kapersky, NOD32, and Norton Corporate (which isn't complete crap like their consumer AV's). Not all on the same computer, of course.

Jan 12, 2008 at 6:21 PM Post #40 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by OverlordXenu /img/forum/go_quote.gif

It's not security through obscurity. There simply aren't any circulating Mac OS X viruses at the moment. So there's no reason to buy a virus checker, because they don't actually check for anything except Windows viruses and a couple of trojans that have never been shown to circulate in the wild.

Someday, perhaps soon, virus checkers may become useful on Macs. But that time is not now.

Jan 12, 2008 at 6:53 PM Post #41 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by OverlordXenu /img/forum/go_quote.gif

There are NO known virus for Mac OS X!
I don't care about the reason behind that lack of virus (obscurity or because of OS security). I just care about the fact that there are no need to run antivirus software on Mac OS X.

The antivirus applications available for Mac OS X only check for Win32 viruses afaik, and only makes sense in a mixed Mac OS X and MS Windows environment.

Jan 12, 2008 at 9:55 PM Post #43 of 62
Jan 12, 2008 at 11:08 PM Post #44 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There are NO known virus for Mac OS X!
I don't care about the reason behind that lack of virus (obscurity or because of OS security). I just care about the fact that there are no need to run antivirus software on Mac OS X.

The antivirus applications available for Mac OS X only check for Win32 viruses afaik, and only makes sense in a mixed Mac OS X and MS Windows environment.

Linux has next to no viruses also. Are you telling me that if you were running a large, enterprise-level business-wide server on either OS X or Linux that faced the internet (not necessarily a web server), you would not run an AV utility?

In think your, and the above post, illustrate the "MY OS IS BETTAR DEN URS!!!!" mentality perfectly.

Jan 12, 2008 at 11:48 PM Post #45 of 62
not to interrupt, but getting back on topic a bit for a moment . . .
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by NiceCans /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have been very happy with AVG Free for years as well as Comodo firewall (also free!).

Now I see Comodo has a Free A/V software!
Has anyone tried this yet?

If it is as good as their firewall it will be a winner!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back