Antivirus thread! Antivirus-fi?
Jan 10, 2008 at 4:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 62

sandino

Head-Fier
Well I was wondering where to put this query: Gear-fi or General? Anyway I chose Gear-fi thinking that computers and software are in this category.

So... What anti-virus software do you guys use and what do like/not like about it? I'm kind of choosing between kaspersky and avg. And I don't have money so I won't be going for the big expensive names. Any ideas on this?

eek.gif

Jan 10, 2008 at 5:22 PM Post #2 of 62
I use AVG coming off of having used Avira for a couple of years. I'm really liking the combination of AVG, Spybot and ZoneAlarm to keep my computer clean.

Jan 10, 2008 at 5:50 PM Post #4 of 62
Kaspersky better than AVG, but it's not free
frown.gif

so I use AVG free edition... sigh

Jan 10, 2008 at 7:31 PM Post #6 of 62
nod32 if you are going to pay
avg or avira for free

Jan 10, 2008 at 8:45 PM Post #8 of 62
No antivirus protection needed over here!
tongue.gif

Mac OS X is all I need...

Jan 10, 2008 at 8:58 PM Post #9 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No antivirus protection needed over here!
tongue.gif

Mac OS X is all I need...

l-o-l. keep on saying that. Apple patches vulnerabilities for a reason. There is also norton av for leopard sooo...yeah... Smaller market share and closed hardware platform do have its advantages.

Jan 10, 2008 at 10:37 PM Post #10 of 62
I've tried most of the antivirus programs, and in the end I found Eset NOD32 to be the one I liked the most.

AVG Free is good also, it's very light on system resources. But I have seen it miss a virus or two on occasion. Probably due to that fact, however I still use it for my laptop.

Jan 11, 2008 at 12:47 AM Post #13 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by gmoffatt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Kaspersky is excellent, lightweight antivirus software. It's not cheap, though...

Well... I might be able to find other ways of obtaining the software. I'm more of interested in finding out which one's better...
biggrin.gif
AVG or Kasper?

Jan 11, 2008 at 12:51 AM Post #14 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by Harry Tuttle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've always found antiviruses to be completely useless, but that's just me

Well, the problem is I go to a lot of LAN shops, do my homework there, save it on a usb flash drive, continue doing it at home... BAM virus. I had a particularly nasty infection last month, I couldn't find any anti-virus software that could kill it... I had do it manually (kinda fun, but risky).

You guys ever kill viruses for sport? :p

Jan 11, 2008 at 1:21 AM Post #15 of 62
I also don't have much need for antivirus on my main systems. I run many machines and my important work is on low risk machines. Anything riskier is done on virtual machines which I easily just wipe out totally and use a fresh image. Those other machines run some protection though and I don't care if they're slowed down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back