Antiskate?
Mar 17, 2005 at 3:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Aman

Headphoneus Supremus
Hello guys!

My continuous journey of vinyl is getting more and more confusing!
smily_headphones1.gif

I've noticed on a few albums that the distortion problems may be caused by antiskate, which is controled by a small dial that is near the tonearm. It goes from 0 to 2. I had it set at 2 before, and I just recently was told via an article to switch to 0.

I don't notice any change at all in sound quality. Might it be somethign else?

Should the antiskate be as low as possible?

Thanks!
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 17, 2005 at 4:08 AM Post #2 of 9
You're supposed to set it initially at whatever weight you're tracking at, then tune by ear.

Mar 17, 2005 at 4:14 AM Post #3 of 9
Okay. I have done that.. and I think it should be at 2 like it is.

But more important is the tonearm.

This is what the instructions tell me to do, verbatim:

"Lower the arm lift lever down and carefully hold the arm over a record. Turn the balance weight along its shaft until the arm balances at 1mm above a record. Return the arm to its rest position and rotate the balance weight one full turn towards the front of the arm."

So, sounds kind of confusing. I turn the weight, but no matter how little the difference is when I change the weight along the shaft, the tonearm is NOT able to balance above a record 1mm. Even when the arm is ON the record, and not hovering over it, it is much higher than 1mm. I don't know if the instructions meant the cartridge, or maybe it meant lower the arm NOT over the record, but alongside it.

I think this is the problem. This MUST be why things don't always sound right.

If anybody could translate this for me it'd be so helpful! Thanks in advance!
-Andrew

Mar 17, 2005 at 4:44 AM Post #4 of 9
I am fairly certain these directions are referring to setting tracking force, not antiskate. The most basic way to set tracking force is to find the point at which the arm is completely parallel to the ground and hovering just over the surface of the record. Then, you set the tracking force dial at zero, and turn the counterweight to the desired tracking force (usually 1-2). Oh, and yes, the 1mm doubtless refers to the stylus tip, not the tonearm headshell.

You ought to be able to adjust your counterweight not only by turning it, but also by sliding it back and forth along the armtube. Turning the counterweight clockwise ought to move it toward the rear of the arm, and decrease tracking force. Turning it counterclockwise will do the opposite.

Do you own a Shure tracking force gauge? That is a more accurate way of setting tracking force than the very primitive method recommended by Music Hall. It is a worthwhile $25 purchase.

In any case, do understand that this is entirely unrelated to antiskate.

Mar 17, 2005 at 4:58 AM Post #5 of 9
Yes, I do understand it isn't related.. I thought it mentioned that in my second post, if I didn't my appologies!
smily_headphones1.gif

I really appreciate your advise.

However, I'm still a bit confused. When the arm is at its best position (when it should be parallel to the record and hovering over it) should the stylus be touching the record or not? Thanks!
-Andrew

Mar 17, 2005 at 5:00 AM Post #6 of 9
When the arm is parallel to the record (tracking force of 0g), the stylus should not be touching the vinyl. The 1.5 or 2g of tracking force you then apply will bring it into contact with the vinyl.

But for the best inexpensive way to get accurate tracking force, buy a Shure gauge.

Mar 17, 2005 at 5:10 AM Post #8 of 9
No, I've found that at around 0g of tracking force, the arm will bounce up and down at first, since there's just barely enough weight to keep it parallel. When you've got 0g dialed in correctly, and you move the arm over the platter, it should bounce before settling down and lying parallel.

Mar 17, 2005 at 2:39 PM Post #9 of 9
I believe you will want the arm to be level for tracking force to be zero. This may mean you have to have the arm just to the side of the platter. If the stylus is just above the record and the arm is tilted back, your tracking force is actually negative something. As others have posted, it is really best to buy the gauge. Tracking force is too important to guess at. The gauge is inexpensive and effective, and you'll have it forever. As for anti-skate, first make sure that your platter is perfectly level. You can start with anti-skate set to tracking force level, then adjust by ear. Use your headphones when doing this. If you hear distortion on loud passages in one channel, adjust force until it disappears, or even appears in the other channel then back up a bit. Don't use your most treasured LP when doing this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back