Anti-Virus Programs
Jan 10, 2006 at 4:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

BodiesOfLight

500+ Head-Fier
What's a good one? I have Norton '05, which I've been happy with but have been told by a reliable source that it sucks. I had McAfee and that was garbage.

Jan 10, 2006 at 5:02 AM Post #2 of 34
I use kaspersky. Dunno how good it is in the grand scheme of things, but I like it better than norton.

Jan 10, 2006 at 5:05 AM Post #3 of 34
I use AVG but I think the king of the roost is generally recognized as being Nod32. If you search there was a long thread on this a month or two ago.

Jan 10, 2006 at 8:03 AM Post #8 of 34
There are a lot of fans out there of ESET's Nod32 Antivirus. I think it's an amazing antivirus. Very light on resources and effective.

Jan 10, 2006 at 9:58 AM Post #13 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lisa
I was told that running two anti virus progams could be dangerous, crash your computer or something. Is that right?

Yes/No/Maybe. Some anti-virus programs have a bad tendency to interfere with each other. I seem to recall that certain versions of McAffee and Norton would cause instability if run together. The bigger problem (again IIRC) is that anti-virus programs have been known to, again on occasion, identify each other as viruses.... sometimes deleting quarantined files or damaging each others installations.

Still I think that both of these problems are somewhat rare (i.e. it only occurs with specific combinations of programs) and I don't recall having heard about them occuring in the recent past so they may have been ironed out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back