Ant TV technicians out there?
Nov 7, 2003 at 3:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

2 channel

500+ Head-Fier
Hello...HELP!
some liquid was spilled down the back of my Philips 50P8341.
I took the back panel off and cleaned the liquid out (there wasn't much) then I used a hair dryer. when i turned the TV on it immediately tirned itself off and i hear a beebing coming from the center circuit board.

anyone know whats going on? Did i fry my TV?

Nov 7, 2003 at 3:51 AM Post #2 of 16
Don't mess around with a TV unless you know what you're doing.

Sounds like it's time to call a professional.
wink.gif

Nov 7, 2003 at 7:47 AM Post #3 of 16
Indeed. The flyback transformer generates between 25-50kV and is potentially lethal. I had 2 semesters of TV circuit analysis when I was in college and kids would go flying almost every week. You should take it to a TV repair shop.

Nov 7, 2003 at 6:14 PM Post #4 of 16
I don't believe in using electromagnetic appliances near TVs, radios, computers, etc. I mean, with a hair dryer or a vaccum cleaner you can damage electronic components. That's why tiny, battery operated vacs are sold to clean PC keyboards. These are safe to use.

Only expert repairmen should open up TV sets and repair them. They use plastic screwdrivers and the like to avoid getting shocked by those high voltages. So if a newbie starts poking around inside a TV set with metal tools, he can easily get killed!

Nov 7, 2003 at 10:29 PM Post #6 of 16
Quote:

have people actually died due to electric shock from appliances?

Yes. Commercial appliances have safety features built in, but some things -- like the reservoir capacitor in a TV -- just cannot be protected better than putting a label on the outside, "No user-serviceable components inside."

Nov 7, 2003 at 11:30 PM Post #7 of 16
dokebi:

You ask: "...have people actually died due to electric shock from appliances?" It all depends on the appliance and the voltages involved of course. Regular appliances will give you a shock that shakes you up. On the other hand, with high voltage stuff, like tube amps and TV sets, an electric shock stops the heart for good. Death is very rapid! So you must be very, very careful! When you see the word DANGER, you must accept the warning! Then find a qualified repairman and to let him solve your problem.
600smile.gif

**EDIT**
After reading Budgie's link (below), I would NOT risk even a mild shock of electricity. It's better to play it safe!

Nov 7, 2003 at 11:39 PM Post #8 of 16
The little "k" in Morsel's post is important. You guys might read that post too fast and miss the point. So I will make it clear...

25kv = 25,0000 Volts.

50kv = 50,000 Volts.

That kind of voltage can kill anybody, not just the elderly or small children! It will also kill a 350lb football player. OK? So it is important to know these things.

Nov 8, 2003 at 1:03 AM Post #9 of 16
Yeaaaahhh, you REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY SERIOUSLY want to DEFINITELY keep the HECK out of your TV.

There's a reason they sell special voltmeters to TV repairmen. They usually have a minimum voltage of ~1000-2000V and go up to 60-70kV.

Note that TVs are NOT Tesla coils (though flyback transformers can be salvaged and used to make Tesla coils... DON'T TRY THAT AT HOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!). While I've drawn sparks off my smaller Tesla coil with my bare fingertips and using a metal rod (held in my bare hand) with my larger one, I would NEVER, EVER, EVER attempt this with say, the power supply on my KGSS - the reason I'm able to do this with my (quite small) Tesla coils is that they can't supply even barely significant amounts of current. Any high voltage power supply should NEVER, EVER, EVER, be even THOUGHT of as POSSIBLY even being POTENTIALLY used in the same fashion as a Tesla coil. YOU WILL KILL YOURSELF IF YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING. I repeat, YOU WILL KILL YOURSELF IF YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING!

Taken a hint yet?
wink.gif

Nov 8, 2003 at 2:01 AM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by dokebi
A bit off topic, but have people actually died due to electric shock from appliances? Or does this apply more to the weaker elderly or infants?

The old 'knife to remove toast from the toaster' is a classic. It's at least a prime opportunity for a fire.

Nov 8, 2003 at 2:19 AM Post #11 of 16
(sorry but I gotta make fun of your typo, 2channel)
Since when did ants get TV's?

getting serious-
http://hypertextbook.com/facts/2000/JackHsu.shtml

edit- I don't recommend you attempt to independently verify the statistics in the above link.
very_evil_smiley.gif

TV's- the least you are risking is getting knocked on your ass. from there, you progress to burns, then perminent damage, then death.
biggrin.gif

Nov 8, 2003 at 4:02 PM Post #13 of 16
Thanks for all of the input. I have called the repair man. I have lots of DIY audio experience (mostly vintage retores) but TVs are indeed a whole new world for me. I was just hoping (wishing) it was an easy fix.

Thanks again!

Nov 8, 2003 at 5:11 PM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by dokebi
Would wearing rubber gloves protect the person from such accidents?

Not the kind you have to keep your hands dry when you do the dishes.

Famous last words: No need to unplug, it will just take a few seconds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back