Another Zu Mobius Praise
Dec 19, 2004 at 1:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

doobooloo

Headphoneus Supremus
I just received the 2.5m Zu Mobius yesterday.

Let me start off by saying that the thing is just absolutely beautiful. So much attention to detail, I love it. Even the way the "MOBIUS" logo is made sure to face foward... The aluminum plug is smaller than it seemed in photos, when it's plugged in it just looks so beautiful. I sometimes wonder if the phones are made for the cable, not the other way around.

But anyway, I've been running them for about 12 hours now through my tube hybrid amp, which I use for my HD-650s. The PPA just doesn't sound "right" with these phones, although more is revealed, for some reason. But that's another thread for another day. Moving onto the cable...

The cable definately opens up the phones a lot. The soundstage is still nowhere that of the K501, but it definately seems like the lows and highs have been extended, made more effortless, and overall the sonic signature is very powerful. Before the 650s sounded rather constrained and fuzzy but these cables really open them up.

I'm happy about spending >$200 on a headphone replacement cable. I remember last year thinking how ridiculous it is to spend so much on a headphone cable. But today I don't regret it at all.
biggrin.gif

Dec 19, 2004 at 7:24 AM Post #2 of 19
Just an update...

For some reason, before listening to my HD650s on my tube hybrid sounded much better. So, until now I had them plugged in that amp.

I just switched over to the PPA.

OMG. The headphones just disappeared. They sound so amazing. The improvement is absolutely breathtaking with the PPA.

Wow.

Dec 19, 2004 at 8:13 AM Post #3 of 19
Good to hear doobooloo. Were you one of the recent eBayers?
I just ordered one (directly from Zu because I wanted a smaller size) and it should be sent out Monday. My birthday/Christmas present to myself.
wink.gif
You're making me look forward to it all the more.

Dec 19, 2004 at 2:43 PM Post #4 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx
Good to hear doobooloo. Were you one of the recent eBayers?
I just ordered one (directly from Zu because I wanted a smaller size) and it should be sent out Monday. My birthday/Christmas present to myself.
wink.gif
You're making me look forward to it all the more.

doobooloo/blessingx --

I was also one of the recent eBayers... HD-650/2.5 meter Zu Mobius...

I'll give you my first impressions so far after an hour of listening:

On my system (see signature), the following songs never seem to sound right:

1. Us And Them (The part at the crescendo... "Forward he cried...")
2. Hey You (The grungy part when the guitar solo comes in)
3. Keep Talking (The entire song)

With the ER-4P/S, K-501, and any other headphone, the above all sound off.

But WITHIN AN HOUR, 650/Zu FROM MY IPOD has every song sounding right.
I was amazed at how well the 650/Zu can do all genres of music with respect.

As the ER-4S is jaw-dropping at times, the 650/Zu is exceptional all the time.

The 650/Zu gives you most of the ER-4S' detail, but adds tons of musicality.
The 650/Zu's bass is almost as good as the ER-4S', but it has much more of it.
Ironically, I feel that the ER-4S throws a better soundstage than the 650/Zu.
The 650/Zu's is much bigger, but the ER-4S' is smaller and easier to work with.

The above is IMO and is subject to change throughout burn-in, obviously.

Given the above, the 650/Zu will be a staple in my system for a long time.
But it will never take the crown away from the ER-4S (at least, I hope not).
biggrin.gif

The 650/Zu has impressed me much over the last hour -- the veil is gone.
Every song I throw at it is exceptional -- not eye-opening, but exceptional.

Great headphone in my hands...

BANGPOD

P.S. The Sennheiser's midbass hump also seems to be gone.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Dec 19, 2004 at 7:38 PM Post #5 of 19
Now you've got me wondering . . .

I've never really liked the sound of my HD650. Compared to the K501 or the DT880, it sounds distant and uninvolving, like the music is being piped in somehow. It doesn't sound bad, just remote. This is with a PPA.

Doobooloo, you've got the AKG. Does the Zu open up the Senn comparably? I'm tempted by what I'm reading in this thread, because I can't square my HD650 experience with what so many other people seem to hear.

BW

Dec 19, 2004 at 7:50 PM Post #6 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Ward
Now you've got me wondering . . .

I've never really liked the sound of my HD650. Compared to the K501 or the DT880, it sounds distant and uninvolving, like the music is being piped in somehow. It doesn't sound bad, just remote. This is with a PPA.

Doobooloo, you've got the AKG. Does the Zu open up the Senn comparably? I'm tempted by what I'm reading in this thread, because I can't square my HD650 experience with what so many other people seem to hear.

BW

The Zu does open up Senns rather considerably especially with certain types of music. The inherent frequency reponse of the cans makes them still sound slightly muffled in comparison with the K501 but then which is the more neutral one? I don't know. I used to think K501, but now that I've spent the past two days with the HD650 and when I try to go back to the K501, it's been reversed.
wink.gif

Before Senns never really impressed me. With the Zu, with certain types of music (rock and jazz, some pop) really really come alive, to the point where I would much prefer listening to them with my Senns now.

But it's not like the Senns trample all over the K501s all of a sudden.

And I'm using a PPA with OPA637/627 with Glassman Diamond buffers. I can imagine that if I put some AD8610s in there the sound will open up even more. I'll have to give that a try sometime.

But, the bottom line is, you should definately give the cables a try. They have high resale value anyway, so there isn't too much risk in trying.
wink.gif

Dec 19, 2004 at 8:34 PM Post #8 of 19
Thanks for the response. The point about the resale value just might be a deal maker. I must think on this.

BW

Dec 19, 2004 at 8:41 PM Post #9 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Ward

This is exactly the improvement the Zu made for me last year, The change in immediacy was startling.

Dec 20, 2004 at 3:00 PM Post #10 of 19
I have a brand new pair of HD650's and a zu cable all in their packages waiting for Christmas morning. I can't wait. Ho Ho Ho.

dshea

Dec 21, 2004 at 3:13 AM Post #11 of 19
I just got a 2M Zu, and I have it say that the improvement was immediate and quite noticeable. I was a skeptic too..., but I was wrong- the Zu is worth it. Crisper, cleaner, sharper, better. And, you're so right about the beautiful finish of the Zu. That matters to me.

Dec 21, 2004 at 6:51 AM Post #12 of 19
Ack, I wish I had money for either a Zu Mobius or Silver Dragon--I thought Christmas would be my time to get one of em, but not so, the parents didn't want to contribute to my "addiction." Well, save with CDs.

Dec 21, 2004 at 7:57 PM Post #13 of 19
oneeyehobbit, I'd think with your system the Zu would be a great addition.

Bill Ward, if you'd come to the Nashville meet you could have heard the Zu with my 650s. I know you couldn't make it. Maybe we should start now for another meet in the summer.
wink.gif

Dec 23, 2004 at 6:58 AM Post #14 of 19
Well the Zu arrived today (one day early). Man this is nice. I forgot how dramatic the switch is. Jump in detail is significant. Makes the iPod/SR71 combo sound much better than the Audiophile USB/SR71 did with stock. I don't think you need an expensive setup to warrant this, nor do I equate it to just the last 1-2% increase some do.

Funny that K501s are mentioned above. The first thing I thought of once plugging these in (right after the 'damn, did I break the stock getting it out?' thought) was the K501s. More transparent. Sparkly highs. Bottom is still different, but this definitely moves the HD650s towards the lighter AKGS.

As for the earlier mini plug question, no problems with the mini and Emmeline. The cord is pretty light (2 meter length) and the plug is well made (as is the amps) so I don't really fear any stress. It pends down very slightly, but at least with this length, I don't think it's an issue. This is much lighter than I remember the Cardas being. A little stiffer than I thought, but otherwise no problem. I'm debating about sending it back and getting a 1/4" plug simply because I just ended up with CS M80s speakers, so may be moving over to a speaker setup and possibly needed a larger plug soon. But otherwise no problem with the mini.

Jan 3, 2005 at 2:39 PM Post #15 of 19
I want to revise my mini plug comments above. While sitting in a desktop or table, I had no problems, but if you move around with it or place it on a soft surface (I sometimes listen in bed - iPod>SR71>HD650) it does become an issue (especially with the less flexible nature of the cable). I'm sending my back to be re-terminated today (will use Senn or Grado adapter). Zu has a nice policy on this (when new) so except shipping, I'm not out anything. I'd recommend the 1/4" plug now for nearly all uses, if anyone asked.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back