Another wood bud, Altec Lansing MHP136
Jul 20, 2009 at 7:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

david1978jp

500+ Head-Fier
This might interest someone. And it is nobly priced $10.41 at Amazon. (List price $30)

41f4OUbmYJL._SS500_.jpg

Altec Lansing > HEADPHONES > Earphones for iPhone > Muzx 136

Amazon.com: Altec Lansing MHP136 Muzx Series In Ear Headphone with wood finish: Electronics

Jul 20, 2009 at 2:36 PM Post #2 of 12
I'm tempted to grab a pair just to try them. :0

Can anybody reccomend against them? If not I'll grab a CD with them so I get free shipping. Kind of want to get Mer De Noms by A Perfect Circle. Problem is that leaves me with 60 cents to fill for free shipping.

*EDIT* ordered a pair since I didn't see a review. I'm looking forward to getting supposedly 30$ worth of headphones for 10$. I'll let everybody know what they sound like when I get them. I wanted something more appropriately sized for mobile/workout. I don't see a review on this site so I'll be glad to do one and let everybody know what I think.

Jul 20, 2009 at 5:25 PM Post #3 of 12
These were reviewed by Jant71 a while ago. You can read his impressions here. My short take of his impressions: not complete junk, but not competitive with the low-budget heavyweights, either.

Jul 20, 2009 at 7:37 PM Post #5 of 12
Things move so fast. These aren't quite so hot ~6 months later. They are still nice looking, comfy, extend low on the bass, and have some of that wood cabinet tone and richness. They don't need different tips just some EQ adjustment. Fine for $10.

Aug 7, 2009 at 12:00 AM Post #6 of 12
They're still burning in... only been going for about 40 - 50 hours.. not the 100 to 200 I think they'll probably need.

I say that because the character of my Victor HP-FX500's (another pair of woodies) changed QUITE a bit over that timespan...

However, I've tried these with the stock tips, which I am fairly convinced are v-moda BLISS Tips, as I have some, and compared them, and they appear and SOUND virtually identical... so Altec-Lansing made a Good Choice there...

The diameter of the tip nozzle lends themselves to be interchangeable with:

v-moda's BLISS Silicone Tips, JVC Silicone & Microfoam Tips, COMPLY T-400 Foam Tips, SONY Hybrid Silicone Tips, and KOSS Earcushions for the KE29S...

A good variety of choices...

I hope these brighten up a wee bit but not TOO much...

I am REALLY enjoying the nostagilic sound of the "Vinyl Phonograph Cabinet" sound that the tone of these evoke for me...

BTW, the COMPLY T-400's do add a bit of "air" and "space" to the mids and treble highs... Certainly not enough to make this a so-called "balanced" / "neutral" / or "uncoloured" 'phone... but then at that point it would lose its fun and appeal.

I was really looking for an occasional use, different-sounding, FUN headphone/earphone, and finally found something totally unique! Glad for this thread!

Enjoy folks! OH, and I got mine from the cdgame60 storefront on Amazon.com for $9.99!

Aug 7, 2009 at 7:05 AM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by FLACvest /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They're still burning in... only been going for about 40 - 50 hours.. not the 100 to 200 I think they'll probably need.

I say that because the character of my Victor HP-FX500's (another pair of woodies) changed QUITE a bit over that timespan...

However, I've tried these with the stock tips, which I am fairly convinced are v-moda BLISS Tips, as I have some, and compared them, and they appear and SOUND virtually identical... so Altec-Lansing made a Good Choice there...

The diameter of the tip nozzle lends themselves to be interchangeable with:

v-moda's BLISS Silicone Tips, JVC Silicone & Microfoam Tips, COMPLY T-400 Foam Tips, SONY Hybrid Silicone Tips, and KOSS Earcushions for the KE29S...

A good variety of choices...

I hope these brighten up a wee bit but not TOO much...

I am REALLY enjoying the nostagilic sound of the "Vinyl Phonograph Cabinet" sound that the tone of these evoke for me...

BTW, the COMPLY T-400's do add a bit of "air" and "space" to the mids and treble highs... Certainly not enough to make this a so-called "balanced" / "neutral" / or "uncoloured" 'phone... but then at that point it would lose its fun and appeal.

I was really looking for an occasional use, different-sounding, FUN headphone/earphone, and finally found something totally unique! Glad for this thread!

Enjoy folks! OH, and I got mine from the cdgame60 storefront on Amazon.com for $9.99!

It says they just have a wood finish. They aren't actually wood, right?

Aug 8, 2009 at 2:59 PM Post #8 of 12
I'm tempted to spend another 9.99 to demolish a pair and PROVE it... but the sound is 100% wood.

I guess I will shoot off an eMail to Altec-Lansing for confirmation.

Aug 8, 2009 at 3:08 PM Post #9 of 12
and I can visually confirm the rest of the housing is natural hardwood upon visual inspection.

Here's the Link to the Altec Lansing Page ---> Altec Lansing > HEADPHONES > Earphones for iPhone > Muzx 136

Spec Download PDF ---> http://www.alteclansing.com/images/s...eet%202008.pdf

Here's the plain Text:

"Muzx 136

Preferred by fine musicians for sonic quality and beauty, natural wood-crafted earphones have a large acoustic chamber for rich, warm and inviting music

Fine musicians prefer natural wood instruments for their beauty and sound quality. You’ll appreciate Muzx 136 real wood noise-isolating earphones for the same reasons. The unique acoustic chamber is made from wood specially chosen for its sonic quality. Just like a wood speaker cabinet, Muzx 136 reproduces music with excellent harmonics so the sound is full, smooth and wonderfully warm. These earphones are lightweight and durable enough for everyday use. Plus, you’ll never see another pair like yours because of differences in natural wood grain and color. The SnugFit™ design provides passive noise reduction and enhanced audio quality at lower listening levels."

* Features
* Natural hardwood for improved sound
* Powerful 9 mm neodymium speakers
* Comfortable SnugFit™ noise-isolating earphones (S,M, L tips included)

-Courtesy Altec-Lansing's Marketing Site.

Aug 8, 2009 at 4:46 PM Post #10 of 12
I broke mine open. Two pieces both wood. You can carefully separate the two pieces at the metal band and do a driver transplant fairly easily.

Aug 12, 2009 at 6:04 AM Post #11 of 12
I didn't think it was possible, but it finally happened for me. I don't even get them with the Victor HP-FX500's... Does that mean I receive an Official Basshead Club Card, or does that mean I have to cash it in cuz I finally whimped out?? LOL!

Aug 12, 2009 at 8:58 PM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by FLACvest /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I didn't think it was possible, but it finally happened for me. I don't even get them with the Victor HP-FX500's... Does that mean I receive an Official Basshead Club Card, or does that mean I have to cash it in cuz I finally whimped out?? LOL!

You go, you go to FX500 thread telling them what you discovered.
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back