Another "Which IEM" question
May 28, 2009 at 2:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

kpfeifle

100+ Head-Fier
Hi All:

Looking for an under 200.00 IEM for use with my Ipod classic. Using standard Apple earbuds and Koss PortaPro's now. I listen mostly to rock, pop and jazz. I don't use a portable amp. From looking around, it seems like my choice is:
Westone UM1
Shure SCL-3K
UE Super.Fi 5 Pro

So, are there any clear winners in those three? Is there something else I should be looking at? Thanks for any and all help!

May 28, 2009 at 4:11 PM Post #2 of 6
It's a tough choice! I think you would be very happy with any of them. Unless you can try them out prior to purchase, it's kind of a shot in the dark. Good news is they are all good!

May 28, 2009 at 4:13 PM Post #3 of 6
I think your best option in terms of sound is definitely super.fi 5 pro from your list. It sounds absolutely great right out of the ipod. Perfectly balanced.

The only thing you need to check is the comfort. Lot of people including me find it a bit uncomfortable and I decided to get the westone um2 instead. Which I like better but would cost a bit more. If you search carefully you may be able to get them for maybe 230 or so.

In your list the westone um1 is definitely the most comfortable. But in terms of sound, the super.fi 5 pro will totally blow it away. Not even a competition. I still have them both. I would recommend skipping the the shure model that you have listed since it is notorious for not having bass.

May 28, 2009 at 4:45 PM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by kpfeifle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi All:

Looking for an under 200.00 IEM for use with my Ipod classic. Using standard Apple earbuds and Koss PortaPro's now. I listen mostly to rock, pop and jazz. I don't use a portable amp. From looking around, it seems like my choice is:
Westone UM1
Shure SCL-3K
UE Super.Fi 5 Pro

So, are there any clear winners in those three? Is there something else I should be looking at? Thanks for any and all help!

Your budget is $200 or under and these are the three phones you found looking around? You need to look closer.

Just some phones that might qualify: Atrio M5, Monster Turbines, Apple In-Ear Dual Driver phones, Image X5 or X10 (which are about $200 used), JVC HP-FX500 ($160 on ebay), Head-Direct RE0 or RE1, Phonak Audeo 112, Senn IE6 or even the IE7 (on sale) on and on.

May 28, 2009 at 6:47 PM Post #5 of 6
... If this was a year or two ago those would have been great choices, but as tstarn mentioned there have been boatloads of superior IEM's released in the market since that time. Out of those three I'd say SF5pros, but most of the newer IEMs in the price bracket now outperform them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back