Another which headphones help thread
Nov 30, 2007 at 12:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Rattle

500+ Head-Fier
Hi, first post here. I have been reading for weeks though.

Let me start by saying I know you guys probably get sick of the same old questions and there's a million posts with readily available info.

My problem is I am wanting headphones that are great for rock/metal/beastie boys/some trance/ambient type stuff but mostly for good old metal and gaming.

The more I read and the more phones I look at the more baffled by choices I have become. My budget is about $200 even though I started out with $100 budget lol.

They will be unamped for now but a nice amp in the future is not out of the question. They will be driven off a xfi xtreme music and onkyo recievers. Mostly the soundcard though on my PC.

I have heavily studied the rp-21's, rp-22x, A700's, A900's, the DT770's and just about anything up to $225.

The closest place I could go would be guitar center and they have some audio technicas and some beyerdynamics to even listen to any and thats a two and half hour round trip.

They will be bought from amazon since I have $200 in gift certificates their.

Any insight or advice/suggestions would be great, I just dont want to spend $200 and be dissapointed. Also as far as the beyers go which ones can i run unamped successfully? I see all different ohm reatings on those. Bass is a consideration, not huge basshead bass, but rich full defined bass that spans across more forms of music instead of a certain genre of music.

sorry for long post
wink.gif

Dec 1, 2007 at 12:56 AM Post #3 of 12
I don't post here regularly, but :

If you game, open is much better, soundstage more open and better quality overall.

AD900 / DT770/80 good choices overall for gaming/music.

Dec 1, 2007 at 2:02 AM Post #5 of 12
the 80s stand for 80 ohm - easier to drive, that is, compared to the 250 Ohm version.

FYI, I usually spend no more than 100$ on headphones, and the HD555 and Ath-AD700 are both high on my list, for ~$100.

Dec 1, 2007 at 2:24 AM Post #6 of 12
I own a pair of DT770-80s and a higher-end ATH-w5000 pair, and I have to say that when listening to rock, especially for rocking out (as opposed to easy listening), I prefer the DT770s by far. The bass, though less accurate, is a lot more solid without being overtaking as long as you're not listening to heavy hiphop. From my ATH-w5000s, I can also tell you that it seems to find a resonant frequency with my ears that just doesn't sit well with me, though 99% of the time it sounds amazing.

Oh, and I power my headphones with a CORDA MOVE.

Dec 1, 2007 at 2:35 AM Post #7 of 12
i thinik the DT770's r a good choice for gaming and music listening ($150 on ebay) brand new. I have heard good things about them and ordered them recently for myself. I need to get an amp in the future but for now im just gnna use my ipod/laptop

Dec 1, 2007 at 11:28 PM Post #11 of 12
I think you're gonna like em dude. Keep in mind they don't need an amp so you're saving lots of money there. Enjoy.

Dec 1, 2007 at 11:51 PM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Brando /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think you're gonna like em dude. Keep in mind they don't need an amp so you're saving lots of money there. Enjoy.

yeah man I hope I will like them, I can always return them if I dont
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back