Another 'what should I get' thread
Mar 17, 2009 at 12:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Mem

New Head-Fier
Hey all, long time lurker, first time poster.

I've used my Sennheiser CX-300's to death over the last 3-4 years and while there's nothing wrong with them really I can't help feeling like they don't 'wow' me like they used to, and I'm ready to make a step up.

90% of the music I listen to on a daily basis is through my iPhone on the london underground, and after reading some rave reviews (especially from CNet) I think I'm going to go for the Denon AH-C751's. My budget is about £100, and I'm seeing some pretty good deals for the 751's at the moment.

I'm a reasonably accomplished amateur musician, but my music taste covers everything from electronic/dance (drumb&bass to funky house) through hip hop and rap, to more acoustic stuff with some jazz and classical in between. So.. I want something that's going to cope well with a broad range like that, and not be lacking in bass when I want it from the electronic stuff.

I'll probably hook up whatever I end up getting with the Shure MPA-3C adapter for iPhone, and maybe even the Fiio E5 as well if it's worth it?

Any advice/recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 17, 2009 at 12:35 PM Post #2 of 9
the 751 isnt the most isolating thing ever but it would be good for your other requirements

just now the klipsch custom 2 from amazon if about the best buy in the uk, much more isolating especially with some shure olives on them. no modular cable though

se310 would give u isolation and modular cable but wont give the same bass as the c751

Mar 17, 2009 at 1:33 PM Post #4 of 9
OK thanks I'll check those out.

Might sound a bit dumb, but I'm not sure I want to completely block out all exterior sound - I'm thinking for when I'm crossing a busy road etc!

EDIT - I noticed most of those are ones where the cable goes around the ears before they go in. Is there any benefit to that? I used to have a pair of old Sony headphones similar to that (they actually had a plastic bit, supposedly for a better fit) but they always used to make my ears hot and I couldn't ever get a really good fit.

Mar 17, 2009 at 3:26 PM Post #6 of 9
Oh really? I would never have guessed!

I think I might give the Klipsch and Sennheiser's a miss this time then, especially since I can potentially get the C751's for £60 plus delivery.

Any ideas on the Fiio E5? From what I've read on here and other forum they're pretty decent for the price. Would I notice the difference in quality? I wouldn't want them to boost volume but if they're going to improve the sound quality (bearing in mind most of my music is ripped at 192kbps at the moment) then I'm interested.

Thanks again

Users who are viewing this thread

Back