Another "what should I get" thread.
Mar 21, 2007 at 11:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

ZeroRadius

New Head-Fier
First off let me say hi to everyone as this is my first post on head-fi. I am planning on getting a pair of closed headphones for listing to music mostly on computer.

I have two computers, one with a x-fi platinum card that has the front panel with the headphone jack and the other with a M-Audio 96/24 card and a M-Audio omni mixer breakout box.

I listen to a variety of music, mostly electronic (shpongle), classical, and classic rock. I want the closed phones mostly for blocking out the loud environment.

I can spend up to $200. So far I have been looking at the sennheiser HD280 and the beyer DT770. What are your opinions on the best sounding closed cans at that price. I know sound quality is up to the listener but I am just wondering what the consensus is.

Also do I still need an amp if I'm using the breakout boxes??

Thanks a lot everyone.

ZeroRadius

Mar 21, 2007 at 11:11 PM Post #2 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZeroRadius /img/forum/go_quote.gif
First off let me say hi to everyone as this is my first post on head-fi. I am planning on getting a pair of closed headphones for listing to music mostly on computer.

I have two computers, one with a x-fi platinum card that has the front panel with the headphone jack and the other with a M-Audio 96/24 card and a M-Audio omni mixer breakout box.

I listen to a variety of music, mostly electronic (shpongle), classical, and classic rock. I want the closed phones mostly for blocking out the loud environment.

I can spend up to $200. So far I have been looking at the sennheiser HD280 and the beyer DT770. What are your opinions on the best sounding closed cans at that price. I know sound quality is up to the listener but I am just wondering what the consensus is.

Also do I still need an amp if I'm using the breakout boxes??

Thanks a lot everyone.

ZeroRadius

basically dt770 is very bassy. if you want less bassy and more comfortable, although the dt770 is very comfortable already, go for the a700's or even the a900's if your budget is 200$.
so basically dt770 for more bassy
a700/a900 for less bassy more balanced sound.
i would go with the a900 if i were you
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 22, 2007 at 3:10 PM Post #4 of 8
my vote is for DT770's
cool.gif

Mar 22, 2007 at 3:40 PM Post #5 of 8
i'd say don't get the dt770's if you listen to more classical rock and classical music. it is way too bassy for that music. if you listen to electronica the most then get the dt770's because it will provide you with the bass you need for electronica.

Mar 22, 2007 at 3:56 PM Post #6 of 8
I listen to both kinds of music so I would rather have a headphone that was fairly neutral and could sound sound good with a variety of music. Another point for a a900s is that at 40ohms they should sound pretty good off the x-fi and m-audio sound cards without need of an external amp.

Any other closed headphones in that price range I might have missed?

Mar 22, 2007 at 5:18 PM Post #7 of 8
can the dt770's or even the dt880's be listened to without an amp? Or even the ath w1000s?

Mar 22, 2007 at 5:23 PM Post #8 of 8
its not like they cant, its just that A700's/900's do well enough without an amp (but do even better with one)

I would recommend the AT's as well, I use them at work for around 8 hours everyday, dont have any regrets.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back