Another what should I get thread. Reggae
Jan 22, 2007 at 11:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

mobayrasta

100+ Head-Fier
Hey Head-Files I am new to the board and have been reading through threads for what seems like days now. Wow it has been days now.
etysmile.gif

I am currently using my Bose Aviation X headsets hooked through this http://www.fspilotshop.com/product_i...roducts_id=273 to listen to music from my computer using a Soundblaster X-Fi as my source. Before anybody starts yelling at me for using Bose lets remember I bought these for flying and for that they have been great. Listning to music from my ipod while cruising the friendly skies in a Cessna 172 they are not that bad. But I want something more for my home setup.

I spend alot of time in Jamaica and am part owners of a small music studio in Kingston and listen to a lot of Reggae/Dancehall. I would love to find some cans that will give me great bass with nice mids and very clean highs. I am not looking at spending a thousand dollars and would like to find something around 200 dollars. I have really been thinking about Grado 225's or maybe some used HD600's. I am very opened to opinion and brands just let me know what you think would be the best cans for Reggae/Dancehall with a little R&B and hip hop thrown in for good measure.

I am also looking for an inexpensive amp but would like something a noticable step up from a Cmoy amp. Is there anything with tubes that can be found new or used below 150 bucks? I am also very open to suggestion here as I am very new to the world of headphone amps, all though I feel I know alot more now that I did a week ago. If this goes anything like my other addictions I might as well start low and then head for the stars later. (I have looked at pics of some of you guy's rigs.It seems that this place breeds sickness and I am open for infection)

Since this is my first real thread let me tell you a little about me.

I work for the US Navy Reserves full time as a direct funded Defense Contractor. I control the Naval Reserves depot funding for NavAir which means I divy up the money to keep our Reserve planes up and flying.

I am 32 years old and have been married for 12 years. (I know I started young) I have 2 beautiful children a daughter who is 11 and a son who is 6.

We also own a small tour company that specializes in group travel to Jamaica. Since we have started that we also have gone into buisness with a couple of friends and have opened a small gift store in Negril Jamaica and the music studio in Kingston.

I look foward to many hours spent on the boards and hopefully will get a chance to come to a few of the get togethers and hear some of these awesome setups I have all ready read about.

Respect!
Chris MoBayRasta Junkin

Jan 22, 2007 at 11:31 PM Post #2 of 16
You're on the right track with the SR225s. I wouldn't say their bass is great, but it's pretty good if a little light.
They'll be the best in your price range without an amp. They'll do better with an amp but they're fine without one. They can be a bit fatiguing to some. (Like me)
If you're willing to go a bit more, the HD600s might also be your ticket. They have a different sound signature a I think really require an amp, but their bass extends lower but it's not as tight. You can listen to them forever, though.
Good luck.

Jan 23, 2007 at 4:34 AM Post #3 of 16
Thanks for your reply. I am leaning towards Grados. Have been looking for the right deal to pop up in the for sale forum. I figure I can get better cans if I go used.

Jan 23, 2007 at 5:38 AM Post #4 of 16
You cant' go wrong with the Senn600 or the 225.Their both great phones.And its really not and either or choice.I own both and would highly recomend either one.

Jan 23, 2007 at 3:21 PM Post #6 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dexdexter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Chris, do you need open or closed-back cans?

It really doesn't matter. Most of my use is at home. Really only care about sound quality.

Jan 24, 2007 at 3:42 PM Post #9 of 16
If you are focused on sr-225, I would recommend to try flat pads. You will gain impact and volume in bass, and tame the overall brightness of grado sound without losing detail. I love my HF-1s with flats for reggae! Without them, I prefer Sennheiser HD650s very much.

Jan 24, 2007 at 3:58 PM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by carlosgp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you are focused on sr-225, I would recommend to try flat pads. You will gain impact and volume in bass, and tame the overall brightness of grado sound without losing detail. I love my HF-1s with flats for reggae! Without them, I prefer Sennheiser HD650s very much.

What was the original price on the HF-1s? I see a set available in the for sale forum and am very interested. I have also been looking at the HD 650's and they really intrigue me. So many choices! I keep raisinf my budget more and more.

I have decided to sell my BOSE Aviation X's. It seems they are fetching over 700 on ebay used. I know if I put 600 dollars or so into headphone gear I can get a good sound. That should leave me 100 bucks to send my wife shopping and stay out of the dog house.

Jan 24, 2007 at 4:50 PM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by mobayrasta /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I feel so alone. Is there anybody there?
confused.gif

If you don't mind open cans, you might also consider Ultrasone PROline 2500:

212229l.jpg

They list for $399, but some posts today on the Ultrasone mega-thread HERE, indicate that it can be ordered at a decent discount in the States.

They employ offset drivers that effectively bring the outer ear into the equation for a larger soundstage and more loudspeaker-like presentation than ordinary headphones that fire directly into the ear canal.

Ultrasone calls this feature S-Logic and Natural Surround Sound, but if you can get past their marketing-speak and actually have the opportunity to listen to a pair, I believe you'll find that they are quite special (just make sure they have been well run-in; the 2500s take about 150-200 hours to fully come on song).

The PROLine 2500s have simply awesome bass extension, measuring down to 8 Hz, so they sound amazing with dub and reggae. And that's clean bass, authoritative, controlled and never flabby. Their titanium-plated drivers allow them to extract stunning amounts of detail, surprisingly without any upset in frequency balance with the smooth midrange.

As headphone manufacturers go, Ultrasone is pretty much the new kid on the block, so they don't yet share the ubiquity and gravitas of the Sennheisers, AKGs, Beyers, Grados, etc. But they have been adopted rapidly by the professional and DJ sectors and their websites feature pages full of impressive references and testimonials from them. And there are loads of reviews to be seen on the German and American Ultrasone sites.

Cheers, Dex
750prolinebx3.png

Jan 24, 2007 at 4:52 PM Post #12 of 16
If you are planning on buying the HD650 you should really think about a headphone amp. It has an impedance of 300 ohm. I doubt your headset adapter will do a proper job.

I have never listened to the HF1 before so I can't help you with that.

Jan 24, 2007 at 5:06 PM Post #13 of 16
I've listened to the HF-1 and I thought they were really great for a Grado. Not as colored towards the treble. So based on your music choices, I'd first look at the HD600 or HD650.....the SR225 is great for classic rock and things that need electric guitars. It's not good for bass heavy music. The HF-1 could work...though they need an amp. Generally, Senns can have bloated bass on underpowered systems. An amp would bring out more speed and detail, but you might like it unamped for its bass. You're right, so many choices
icon10.gif

Jan 24, 2007 at 5:24 PM Post #14 of 16
I have definately added the ultrasone's to the list. They might fit me perfect.

I am definately getting a headphone amp no matter what cans I decide to go with. I am now looking in the 200 dollar range for an amp. I am looking for recomondations there also.

I figure I can spend up too 400 on cans and 200 on an amp.

Like I said in my original post, this place is a virus......I have raised my limit from 350 dollars for headphones and amp to 600 in a matter of days. How long can it be before my wife takes the kids and leaves.
eggosmile.gif

Jan 24, 2007 at 6:05 PM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

I have definately added the ultrasone's to the list. They might fit me perfect.

I believe they just might. In fact, your thread just inspired me to listen to The Harder They Come on my PROline 2500s. It was nothing short of of a religious experience, just brimming with life. I was transported back to my university days, when I first saw the film. Such a shame that Perry Henzell left us recently!

I'll move on to some Lee Perry later this evening!
cool.gif

Quote:

I am definately getting a headphone amp no matter what cans I decide to go with. I am now looking in the 200 dollar range for an amp. I am looking for recomondations there also.

Start a thread over on the Amplification section. You'll get plenty of recommendations!
wink.gif

Best, Dex

Users who are viewing this thread

Back