Another "What should I buy thread" sorry but I need advice
May 3, 2012 at 11:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

loonacy

100+ Head-Fier
Ok here we go with yet another what is the best headphone to buy but I am in a weird situation here about what to buy.  I will start by saying I already own a pair of Denon ah-d5000 and LOVE them.  Now I want another pair of headphones for a second set up and want to try something new.  I have a pair of Sennheiser hd555 and am very underwhelmed by them.  I know they are "low" end but I'm not yet sold on open headphones.  Also the wife would love for me to get a closed set.  

So I have looked at TONS of posts about this subject and have learned a lot but am undecided.  Here are a few I am considering.

Beyerdynamic T70- i have read good and bad about these but found some at what i think is a good price $399
http://www.amazon.com/Beyerdynamic-70-Over-Headphone-Black/dp/B005EEOTFY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1336099878&sr=8-1

Beyerdynamic T5P-  I have read mostly good things but are they worth the money.

Ultrasone edition 8-  im not thrilled about these but.........

No if I can talk the wife into an open (doubtful)

Beyerdynamic T1- good!!

Hifiman HE-500- no idea about these

Audeze LCD2- I have actually heard these and really liked them.

Any other suggestions would be great.  I listen to mostly rock and classic rock but have been known to play some blues and jazz.  I listen to a lot of vinyl and if its digital I only use lossless format. 

EDIT-  I realize I listed very high end stuff if there is something in a lower price range but are well worth the money please let me know too.

May 3, 2012 at 11:24 PM Post #2 of 4
Heya,

Since you already have the D5000, finding something closed that is in the same bracket is simply not going to happen unfortunately. There are less closed headphones in the higher-up arenas than open-air.

If you can talk your wife into open headphones, look into:

Hifiman HE-400
Sennheiser HD600

If you want more closed options, look at:

AudioTechnica A900X
Beyer DT70

Very best,

May 3, 2012 at 11:27 PM Post #3 of 4
Thanks for the fast reply!! I agree the Denon's are not going to be beat and I'm not trying to I guess. Just looking for something different but still very good sound.  LOL I guess money is just burning a hole in my pocket.

May 4, 2012 at 12:18 AM Post #4 of 4
I would definently try to get the open headphones approved.  I find my Grado 325is to be a nice alternative to the Denon D5000,  faster and more mid focused they are great for the genres you prefer.  I also wonder about the orthodynamics,  haven't had a chance to audition though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back