another "what 200-250 price range cans should i get" thread
Jan 3, 2009 at 4:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

vash2022

New Head-Fier
Hey, just signed up hoping to finnaly decide which pair i want to buy. Ive tried auditioned some grado 2250s, dt 700 pros, and senn 280 pro...at different stores so i couldnt exactly compare correctly. Im hearing alot of buzz around the akg 701s, which are on sale for 250 at amazon. If anyone here could help me decide that would be awesome. In terms of musical taste i listen to anything...from saul williams to nin to mars volta to city and colour to tool. etc etc. thank you again.

Jan 3, 2009 at 4:17 PM Post #2 of 27
also i just noticed i could buy used cans from members here so i guess that kind of means i could possibly get 300 dallor cans for the price range i posted. So if anyone knows off hand any deals here and wanted to post the link that would be awesome.

Jan 3, 2009 at 4:56 PM Post #4 of 27
Id look into the Audio Technica AD900 or Beyerdynamic DT250. The D2000 might be ok but they are a bit bass heavy and the mids can be a bit recessed from what ive read. The K701 and DT770 will require a good amp so dont get those unless you plan on getting a good amplifier as well.

Jan 3, 2009 at 5:03 PM Post #5 of 27
you can get the 250 ohm DT250 for around $184 from BH photo video, if you use the "email me a better price" option. Couple that with a ~$50 cmoy from ebay (the seller biosciencegeek is reputed to make good ones, or so I hear). and you should be set for some time. They aren't so bass heavy that they ruin everything else, but they have enough low end to do your music justice.

Jan 3, 2009 at 5:11 PM Post #6 of 27
i have no money for amping at the moment, and will mostly run these out of the box, after burn-in, on my ipod and laptop/desktop. So im taking the 701s off the list i guess...altho id hate to miss out on a great pair if i can simply buy an amp later on

Jan 3, 2009 at 5:19 PM Post #7 of 27
also i dont need sealed phones, as with the dt250s, im looking for the best sound, for mostly rock and a little electronic/hip-hop stuff. as with the grados im not 100% rock or metal listening kinda guy so i decided against those. So far the dt770s have been the best phones ive ever listened to.

Jan 3, 2009 at 5:43 PM Post #9 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by vash2022 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
also i dont need sealed phones, as with the dt250s, im looking for the best sound, for mostly rock and a little electronic/hip-hop stuff. as with the grados im not 100% rock or metal listening kinda guy so i decided against those. So far the dt770s have been the best phones ive ever listened to.

What did you like or not like about the DT770?

You can get a do-the-job amp for a small part of your budget and I'd suggest that route unless you are 100% certain you'll buy another amp in the near future.

For example, Biosciencegeek Headphone Amplifier cMOY Premium Amp - eBay (item 130279158087 end time Jan-09-09 20:33:00 PST)

(He'll customize it for you, too).

So, I'd suggest that whatever you go with you buy a small amp with part of your budget.

Of the open headphones I've heard, I like the akg k601 the most for rock, but I prefer a more neutral presentation (without the boosted bass of the DT770 or the boosted treble of most grados), so YMMV. They need a beefy amp, though.

In your pricerange, you'll tend to get more noticeable deep bass out of closed headphones - and lack of an amp tends to hurt bass performance the most (so I'd particularly warn against blowing your entire budget on open headphones).

Who knows, you might be quite surprised with the quality of a CMOY and something like a Sennheiser PX100: Amazon.com: Sennheiser PX 100 Collapsible Headphones: Electronics

Quote:

Originally Posted by vash2022 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ive found some dt990s for sale for 215 from a member here...seems like the best deal around...any agree?

I disliked them in comparison the DT770, and they don't play nice unamped.

Jan 3, 2009 at 6:32 PM Post #10 of 27
The D2000's will go well with electronic/hip-hop. Not sure how well they do with rock though. $196 for the Denon's is a really good deal too since I got mine for $220 used. I still don't regret buying it used for a little bit more because it was still practically new
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 3, 2009 at 7:33 PM Post #11 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by ph0rk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What did you like or not like about the DT770?

You can get a do-the-job amp for a small part of your budget and I'd suggest that route unless you are 100% certain you'll buy another amp in the near future.

For example, Biosciencegeek Headphone Amplifier cMOY Premium Amp - eBay (item 130279158087 end time Jan-09-09 20:33:00 PST)

(He'll customize it for you, too).

So, I'd suggest that whatever you go with you buy a small amp with part of your budget.

Of the open headphones I've heard, I like the akg k601 the most for rock, but I prefer a more neutral presentation (without the boosted bass of the DT770 or the boosted treble of most grados), so YMMV. They need a beefy amp, though.

In your pricerange, you'll tend to get more noticeable deep bass out of closed headphones - and lack of an amp tends to hurt bass performance the most (so I'd particularly warn against blowing your entire budget on open headphones).

Who knows, you might be quite surprised with the quality of a CMOY and something like a Sennheiser PX100: Amazon.com: Sennheiser PX 100 Collapsible Headphones: Electronics

I disliked them in comparison the DT770, and they don't play nice unamped.

so...going with the 50 dallor amp and dt770s or the 601s? or any model youd suggest with that amp

Jan 4, 2009 at 1:16 AM Post #14 of 27
i liked the sound and the bass the thing i didnt like was that it sounded like i was pulled back from the band, if i was on stage and in the middle of it, all the muscians would be like...10 meters away. Detailed but seemed to be far off. I like the details but want something more upfront...but not as much as grado

Jan 4, 2009 at 1:29 AM Post #15 of 27
Well, something more up front won't have the same bass quantity, and finding what you find to be the perfect balance may require some auditioning - so buy the phones from a place with a return policy.

The k601 might not have enough bass for you (and the k701 likely won't either).

An HD-25-1 might be an option, and/or the DT250. Both are more forward than a DT770-pro 80 ohm, but still have some good bass. The DT250 and HD25 also have a "don't steal me" look about them, too. Both are built like tanks, the HD25 is easier to lug around, the DT250 more comfortable and ultimately better sound quality.

You may not need closed headphones, but it is very hard to approach the deep bass a DT770 can create with an open headphone in your price range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back