Another vintage pcdp resurgence?
Mar 7, 2005 at 7:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

recstar24

Can Jam '10 Organizer
I remember these things kind of settled off and died down, but i thought what the heck, ill post my sony d-25s on ebay due to a lack of responses here on head-fi:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...e=STRK:MESE:IT

Hoyl Schmoly! Can someone explain this, i thought people weren't really into portables anymore? I love the sound and all, but this is pretty cool!

Mar 7, 2005 at 8:01 AM Post #2 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by recstar24
I remember these things kind of settled off and died down, but i thought what the heck, ill post my sony d-25s on ebay due to a lack of responses here on head-fi:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...e=STRK:MESE:IT

Hoyl Schmoly! Can someone explain this, i thought people weren't really into portables anymore? I love the sound and all, but this is pretty cool!

Wow! ... ive recently seen a d211 go for about 120 and the coveted Philips AZ6825 for $200 but $200 for a d25? I am guessing the NIB is doing a good bit for the price hike!

Mar 7, 2005 at 4:24 PM Post #3 of 14
I just missed d 211 for $35 and got d 303 for $50 ....
... but $200 for d 25
eek.gif

Mar 7, 2005 at 4:34 PM Post #4 of 14
There's always interest for vintage PCDP's on Ebay. Sometimes more than others, in your case we have a bunch of newbies (note the amount of feedback on the high bidders) to Ebay hunting for vintage PCDP's. They tend to bid very high thinking that they may never get another opportunity at a D-25S on Ebay. I don't see any veteran hunters in this auction except for the initial bidder. Veteran hunters tend to wait for the best deal and not overpay for a PCDP.

Mar 7, 2005 at 6:36 PM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by warubozu
There's always interest for vintage PCDP's on Ebay. Sometimes more than others, in your case we have a bunch of newbies (note the amount of feedback on the high bidders) to Ebay hunting for vintage PCDP's. They tend to bid very high thinking that they may never get another opportunity at a D-25S on Ebay. I don't see any veteran hunters in this auction except for the initial bidder. Veteran hunters tend to wait for the best deal and not overpay for a PCDP.

I agree with warubozu. The market on eBay for vintage PCDPs has always been generally good. You'll see some variances of course, but generally, if you post a good ad for one of the "desired" players in good condition, it'll draw a lot of money. It's on Head-fi where the interest fluctuates wildly.

That said, that IS an insane amount for a D-25s. Congrats.

Mar 7, 2005 at 9:32 PM Post #6 of 14
Well...it is in perfect condition....

But the d25s is definitely one of the higher profile PCDPs around here and definitely one of the best looking.

Mar 8, 2005 at 1:09 AM Post #8 of 14
Most of the vintage hunters that I've seen including some from Hong Kong who are familiar with the going prices of certain PCDPs will price them to sell accordingly. Some will price to sell quickly others will try to set their prices a little steep hoping someone will bite. In other words sellers who are in the know (including non US sellers) won't necessarily price their PCDPs at a bargain price especially if they know how much they can get for it and the demand for a certain.

Mar 8, 2005 at 1:14 AM Post #9 of 14
I was shocked when my Denon DCP-150 sold for $400.00 + this last month. What I found most interesting is all though mint, it only came with the carrying case. Amazing...

Mar 8, 2005 at 1:25 AM Post #10 of 14
Trust me, im just as surprised as you all are. I posted my d-25s here for 100, and no one really took it, which is understandable. I ended up selling my other d-25s to another head-fier for 100, but 200 for a d-25s? Guess where the funds for my new hd650 are coming from!

Mar 8, 2005 at 1:30 AM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jester
I was shocked when my Denon DCP-150 sold for $400.00 + this last month. What I found most interesting is all though mint, it only came with the carrying case. Amazing...

Yup, I had seen that auction and just want to say congrats at closing the auction on a winning note. You can probably say that the winner is a vintage PCDP collector who was probably searching for a DCP-150 for quite some time and maybe had also witnessed some earlier auctions for a DCP-150 to know what it takes to win one. I don't think a person who is just interested in sonic qualities of certain PCDPs would be willing to pay that kind of price. It takes a collector and a pretty dedicated one at that to be willing the pay that kind of money.

Mar 8, 2005 at 8:22 AM Post #12 of 14
Talking about vintage PCDP, what do we think about Technics SL-XP145?

Mar 8, 2005 at 9:24 AM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by warubozu
Yup, I had seen that auction and just want to say congrats at closing the auction on a winning note. You can probably say that the winner is a vintage PCDP collector who was probably searching for a DCP-150 for quite some time and maybe had also witnessed some earlier auctions for a DCP-150 to know what it takes to win one. I don't think a person who is just interested in sonic qualities of certain PCDPs would be willing to pay that kind of price. It takes a collector and a pretty dedicated one at that to be willing the pay that kind of money.

Thank you, yes I totally agree with you. He must have been looking for quite some time for a Denon DCP-150. As great as this PCPD is, I am not sure that i could justify spending that kind of money. My Philips 963SA with mods done by SACDmods.com was less than the selling price of the Denon, which is the main reason I sold it.

I hope the person who bought it enjoys it as much as I did.

Mar 8, 2005 at 5:23 PM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jester
Thank you, yes I totally agree with you. He must have been looking for quite some time for a Denon DCP-150. As great as this PCPD is, I am not sure that i could justify spending that kind of money. My Philips 963SA with mods done by SACDmods.com was less than the selling price of the Denon, which is the main reason I sold it.

I hope the person who bought it enjoys it as much as I did.

I agree, no matter how great the DCP-150 sounds and it does sound great compared to other PCDPs current or vintage it will not surpass the sonic qualities of a fullsize cpd. I guess when prices for certain PCDPs reach a certain point one must think should I justify my purchase based on collectibility aspect of the unit or the sonic qualilty. Although I once was actively collecting PCDPs I think now the sonic qualities of the PCDPs is my final deciding factor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back