Another UM2 vs. E4 on X5 review
Nov 3, 2005 at 5:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

HyperM3

100+ Head-Fier
I was sick and tired of reading all the reviews of these headphones being used with Apple products. They sound is not comparable to that which comes out of the Cowan or Iriver products. We need more X5 users to speak up on their findings or opinions.

Anyway, Ive had E3's for over a year when I bought the E4's back in June when they first came out. I thought they were a great step up from the E3's and was happy. However, I never got the same comfort level out of them as I did with the E3's and that annoyed me on any listening excursions longer than 20 minutes. No matter what tip I had, they kept sliding out of my ear. I attribute this to the extra weight in the E4's that gravity pulled them down and out.

Recently Ive been searching for the same sound but ultimate comfort. Well, the comfort part is found nowhere better than in the UM2's. They fit my ear like it was a custom mold right out of the box. The thinner wire and placement in the ear felt like I was wearing nothing. I am super satisfied on that.

The sound however I was really dissapointed with. Dont stop reading though and take my opinion as that. The power on the X5 is truly exceptional if not class leading. These UM2's need no power at all to get loud sound. I had to really turn the volume down from 18 on the E4's to 12 with the UM2's. They however dont sound as good at lower volumes as the E4 but get too loud very fast. I couldnt listen to them at my normal 18 level without feeling reverberational type pain. You really need to mess with the EQ settings for these.

Listening back and forth between the headphones I used my normal reference material. I love Delerium (Poem or Chimera) CD's because there really is a depth reference to sounds and instruments heard on home speakers. On my tower Def-Techs I feel I can run through the soundstage and grab sounds out of the air. On the X5 there is a setting for the soundstage which really opened up the E4's in this regard. No matter what I tried with this, the UM2's sounded flatter, not as open. Also, when turning up the sound 14-16 although it got clearer and more defined, the mids would get so overbearingly garbled that it hurt my ears. I even tried turning down the bass and mids to almost nothing, didnt help.

Then Voila! Duh, how about changing tips? I have never used foamies in my life and guess I was trying to take a liking to them. Ive always used the same grey soft plastic tips with both the Shures. Luckily the stalk is the same for the UM2's and put on my grey softies. MMMM definition. Not only do I not have to worry about dirty fingers rolling foam but they fit in also very comfortably and create the same seal Ive been used to. Distortion is gone now and I redefined the EQ to work with these tips. Soundstage is back and blossoming. I need to listen more to give a full report but so far, I got the sound where I wanted if not up to par with the E4's. Mostly again, it was about comfort and nothing else I believe can come close to the UM2's.

I will post back after listening to many more reference albums and give more details. For those that like to listen to the radio however through their players and use the headphone cord for reception, these arent the best. I noticed a good 5-7 minute difference between the UM2's and Shures for distinguishing two overlapping stations on my commute on the train. One may contribute this to the shorter length of the cord. I do love that the cord is shorter than the Shures but it does feel fragile. They do tangle easily as well and because its thinner, wrapped around my coat buttons without me knowing. The thick Shure wires never got caught on anything other than the bottom of a hand railing. That situation yanked my head back but my E4's stayed wrapped around my ears. I feel if I had any other headphones at the time the cord would have been ripped apart. Then again, a shorter cord wouldnt have gotten caught.

Ill be back to edit later.

Edit: 11/4
See below post.

Nov 3, 2005 at 6:00 PM Post #2 of 15
Thanks for the review,
i do not know the UM2 but, coming from the E3, I love thew E4.
I agree it's hard to judge headphones using the ipods, it seems their phoneoutput is not exactly lineair in the lower frequencies.

Quote:

However, I never got the same comfort level out of them as I did with the E3's and that annoyed me on any listening excursions longer than 20 minutes. No matter what tip I had, they kept sliding out of my ear. I attribute this to the extra weight in the E4's that gravity pulled them down and out.

I had the same experience, but using the E4 with the black ety foams I've no problems anymore; best sound in comparison to other shuretips, comfortable and they stay put. (And they look cooler compared to that nerdy yellow.
etysmile.gif
)

Nov 5, 2005 at 2:00 AM Post #3 of 15
HELP!!! I dont get it. I think I like the sound but Ive never experienced a worse soundstage from headphones before. It seriously sounds like Im sitting under the stage. The music sounds like its above and behind my head. I keep wanting to push the headphones back so the music gets at least in front of my face.

Instruments are at least recognizable but they are not smooth as to where they should be. Sometimes it sounds like a majority of the instruments are in the same place(right in my ear) and I get NOISE. Like its really noise and I cringe from the pain. This is even with the volume at 12! Can anyone explain this>?

Nov 5, 2005 at 3:17 AM Post #4 of 15
Yeah your absolutely right. It seems like most everyone on Head-Fi goes for the trendiest portables with the worst reputation for sound quality. I'm sure IRiver and Cowan have great sq compared to an IPOD, but Sony seems to have been omitted here. I know how the Sonic Stage software is loathed by most people, but if sound quality is the bottom line than Sony deserves its due as well.

Nov 5, 2005 at 3:59 AM Post #5 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete7
Yeah your absolutely right. It seems like most everyone on Head-Fi goes for the trendiest portables with the worst reputation for sound quality. I'm sure IRiver and Cowan have great sq compared to an IPOD, but Sony seems to have been omitted here. I know how the Sonic Stage software is loathed by most people, but if sound quality is the bottom line than Sony deserves its due as well.

My problem isnt with the X5, theres absolutely nothing wrong with it and I still think its the best MP3 player out there. My problem is with the UM2's. Im looking for anyone else that is experiencing this soundstage situation.

Nov 5, 2005 at 5:04 AM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by HyperM3
My problem isnt with the X5, theres absolutely nothing wrong with it and I still think its the best MP3 player out there. My problem is with the UM2's. Im looking for anyone else that is experiencing this soundstage situation.

UM2s have big soundstage, i think you're the problem.

Nov 5, 2005 at 5:08 AM Post #7 of 15
I'm partial to Sony myself, but to each his own. Have you tried amping with the UM2's? I've also found that the UM56 custom tips significantly increase the soundstage as well.

Nov 5, 2005 at 2:09 PM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete7
I'm partial to Sony myself, but to each his own. Have you tried amping with the UM2's? I've also found that the UM56 custom tips significantly increase the soundstage as well.

Why do you keep talking about Sony's? We are not talking about Sony's here. Why would I want to amp headphones that apparently dont need any considering everyone has discussed we listen to it at lower volumes?

As for the problem being me....thats possible. However, Ive listened to a lot of headphones in my life and considering I loved my E4's because they had fantastic sound reproduction and a soundstage that was awesome, I dont understand the UM2's. Maybe they need to burn in more?

Anyone with an X5 and UM2's can you please tell me your eq settings so I may try to reproduce your sound?

Nov 5, 2005 at 5:00 PM Post #9 of 15
Shhhh, UM2s are FOTM currently. Any criticism will simply be viewed as blasphemy, and you will become the target of personal attacks. After all, the UM2s are perfect right now, so you must be the problem.

Nov 5, 2005 at 5:09 PM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by CookieFactory
Shhhh, UM2s are FOTM currently. Any criticism will simply be viewed as blasphemy, and you will become the target of personal attacks. After all, the UM2s are perfect right now, so you must be the problem.

Im not new to being in the middle of flame wars. Im also not one to stifle an opinion because its not of the norm. I speak my mind when I want do say what I want to say. Some respect that, others dont. I can appreciate your sarcasm however.

Im just looking for anyone else that might feel the same way about their UM2's. Feel free to PM me if you dont want your name known. lol.

Nov 5, 2005 at 6:40 PM Post #11 of 15
HyperM3 said:
My problem isnt with the X5, theres absolutely nothing wrong with it and I still think its the best MP3 player out there. QUOTE]
You offered your preference, I offered mine... Too bad. I also gave it a shot at helping you. UM2's don't need an amp, but they certainly benefit from a good amp. Using with an amp doesn't necessarily imply having to listen at high volumes. You should do a little research in the Amps forum, you'll find there are a good many UM2 owners who use them amped. Also, give um2.blogspot.com a shot, it's a UM2 in-depth users guide by Spinali, a Head-Fi member. A wealth of information for a new UM2 user.

Nov 5, 2005 at 7:49 PM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Why would I want to amp headphones that apparently dont need any considering everyone has discussed we listen to it at lower volumes?

On another UM2 post, I saw someone using an EQ that looked something like this. It minimizes bass. Obviously, you're going to have to tinker around to get it perfect:

The comment above about amping has nothing to do with making the sound louder; headphone amps have circuitry that actually improves the sound, making it clearer and brighter, often dramatically. My UM2 through a modest Xenos amp is like night and day. I listen at very moderate volume levels.

I'm not sure if you've played around with different tips from Shure and Ety. Many have found that their sound is suddenly much more clear and detailed with these inexpensive tip replacements. Combined with EQ, you might find that you like the FOTM.

Visit the UM2 Guide for more info.

Nov 5, 2005 at 8:12 PM Post #13 of 15
I would recommend trying out other types of eartips with both the UM2 and the E4. The UM2 is very sensitive to tip choice, and it's sound changes considerably with every different tip that you can use with them. Also, I would suggest disabling EQ or any of the sound enhancement features on the X5 before experimenting with eartips, and then trying to get the sound that you want with eartips alone. Then, if you insist on using EQ, start with the tip that's closest in sound signature to what you want. I would be willing to wager that the distortion you hear is the X5's EQ and is not something that is inherent to the UM2. EQ on mp3 players is very poorly implemented, and the X5's EQ is definitely not one of the best. For example, the Zen Micro's EQ is substantially better since it allows you to push frequencies into loss instead of gain, minimizing the resulting distortion. BBE, mach3bass, and all the rest, introduce audible distortion into the sound and increase background hiss.

Nov 5, 2005 at 11:35 PM Post #14 of 15
I guess i can't help u, I wasnt trying to anyway. Many things that you said arent true.
1. Dual driver iems are known to have big soundstage.
2. As for bad instruments separation, I think the UM2s have pretty good instruments separation.
3. As for hiss, I did hear lots of statics from my soundcard before, but not on my x5.
UM2s are not the perfect iems on the market. If you say UM2s sound dark, lack treble, I can give you that.
If you want bright thin girly sound to listen to soft @ss music, u should consider the er-4p.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back