Another toy - Audio Valve RKV II
Jan 2, 2002 at 11:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

acidtripwow

Headphoneus Supremus
I recently purchased this amp from Templeboy. It's a great tube amp but does have it's downside. More on that later. I did have it connected with an upgraded power cord(Quail/Tara Labs Reference) and interconnects(Jazz 4/ MIT 330) so this will make a difference also. At first I thought the sound was a lot like the MicroZotl, but after some time I now think it sounds even better. The Zotl was a great warm sounding tube amp which could make some CDs sound very lush. I especially liked the sound of the Zotl when listening to female vocalists like Diana Krall and Patricia Barber. Some may say that the Zotl would be more colored than the RKV. The downside to this of course is that it could not do Rock very well. Everything just seemed kind of syrupy and was not a good presentation for Rock music where you want more attitude. The RKV II is not as lush or warm but still very nice. This may change with some tube rolling. Unlike the Zotl, the RKV II will do Rock music very well. It goes down much lower than the Zotl and can also go much louder. I recently purchased the DVD of Roger Waters in concert and it sounds fantastic through the RKV. Drums and bass are portrayed very well through the RKV. I was using my Beyer 770 closed headphones at the time. This is not to say that it can't handle softer music really well, I just think that it can really sound fantastic with Rock. The RKV is also a much better looking amp than the Zotl. If you've seen the Zotl then you know almost anything will look better.
biggrin.gif

Now for the downsides I was referring to. This amp suffers from interference. I think this is caused by its open design. Yes, with the glass top and open sides it can be very pretty, but not the greatest design for a tube amp. Yesterday I turned it on and was waiting for it to warm up. I also had the TV on which you could hear through the Beyer 700 headphones I had connected at the time. I forgot when I turned it on that I had the volume turned up on it. This caused a great distortion coming from the headphones and what I was hearing was the football game on ABC. There is also a slight hiss which can become destracting when listening to softer passages in Classical music for example. Also, be sure to have the headphones plugged in at the time you turn on the amp or you will get a sharp click. Actually, this will happen with a lot of amps not just the RKV. Another thing I found out by accident was when I turned off the amp one time and then turned it back on right away there was a low distortion noise that came out of the headphones. Good thing I didn't have them on at the time! Some of the downsides may be fixed with some tweaking. I'll have to look into that.

Overall, this is very good and rich sounding amp. It does bass extremely well and can handle all types of music. I recommend it to anyone who is looking for a tube amp.

Jan 3, 2002 at 12:12 AM Post #2 of 7
I"ve had my RKV II for a week now and I'm seriously in love with it. Had no hint of humm problems, and no interference or hiss either. Very lush beautiful sound. Makes my Cosmic/BS-1 sound sterile and maybe a bit harsh in comparison. I'll do more listening and post a complete review soon.

Jan 3, 2002 at 9:09 AM Post #4 of 7
Somebody's getting his share of Xmas toys!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 3, 2002 at 8:09 PM Post #5 of 7
Bearwise,

You are lucky as I'm in Philly and Acid is in Chicago, both cities saturated with radio waves. I use to put RKV in a metal tool box (making sure driill some ventilation holes!!) to solve the problem.

Acid, as I mentioned in our email exchanges before, I love Grado over Senn in every aspects save one: residual noise when matched with tube gears. That's why I had been keeping both RS1 and HD600 for quite a while before parting RS1 to Odeen.

I posted a lot at headwize pretty much covered everything about RKV people repeated here. Unfortunately, my work goes down in sewer.
frown.gif

Jan 3, 2002 at 8:57 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Acid, as I mentioned in our email exchanges before, I love Grado over Senn in every aspects save one: residual noise when matched with tube gears. That's why I had been keeping both RS1 and HD600 for quite a while before parting RS1 to Odeen.

Yuk, don't tell me I have to go back the Senn HD600 to cure some problems.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back