Another totally-legal music download from none other than Tasmin Little [Full CD, 320kbps]
Jan 20, 2008 at 10:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

milkpowder

Headphoneus Supremus
Tasmin Little - FREE DOWNLOADS

I only found out because Tasmin appeared on The Andrew Marr Show aka the AM Show (BBC ONE).

I've just started downloading, so I have no idea how they sound. She's playing the Gigue from Bach Partita No.3 live on TV as I type this and also introduced her two beautiful violins (a Strad and a Guadagnini) earlier in the show
biggrin.gif

Don't forget to download the commentary too (the Guadagnini vs Strad one is a serious treat)!

Alternative download link for fully tagged 320kbp MP3s w/ commentary: MEGAUPLOAD

Jan 20, 2008 at 10:12 PM Post #2 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I only found out because Tasmin appeared on The Andrew Marr Show aka the AM Show (BBC ONE).

I caught the interview on a local public radio station here in NYC, which passes through the BBC World Service signal late at night. What an interesting segment! Hearing her play a few measures on each of the instruments and then comment on the differences in the sound was, as you say, a real treat. I immediately went to her website and downloaded the tracks. I'm about to load them onto my RH1 and have a listen.

The high quality, printable CD insert was a very thoughtful plus.

One thing did give me pause: can you imagine walking around in a major city like London with, oh, I don't know, maybe $8-10 million worth of fiddles under your arm? I've heard YoYo Ma reminisce about leaving his Strad in the trunk of a cab. I would would have instantly had a heart attack. It seems that the cabbie got in touch with Mr. Ma as soon as he realized he was driving around with a multi-million dollar cello in his trunk. Pretty amazing; almost restores ones faith.

Jan 20, 2008 at 10:54 PM Post #3 of 15
I'm surprised her interview was actually broadcast in the US too!

Purely based on those scales she played, I must say I preferred the Guadagnini sound. I'm a huge fan of the warmer sound. The difference between the two violins was much less apparent in the actual recordings.

I wondered the same thing too! I can't remember which violin she introduced first, but when I saw not one but two violins on the show, I knew I was in for a treat. I distinctively remember her introducing the first violin - my jaw dropped - then the second one - and I couldn't stop drooling. I doubt Andrew Marr knew how much the violins were worth until after the show
biggrin.gif

Jan 21, 2008 at 5:23 AM Post #4 of 15
Quote:

I'm surprised her interview was actually broadcast in the US too!

There are two public radio stations in the NYC area, and WNYE is definately the less well-funded one. They use the BBC World Service feed to fill in the hours between 2 AM and approx 5 AM most nights. Which is great for me, because the FM signal sounds a lot better than the Internet stream. And whatever it's failings may be, the BBC nevertheless blows the American broadcast media out of the water in my opinion.

Quote:

I wondered the same thing too! I can't remember which violin she introduced first, but when I saw not one but two violins on the show, I knew I was in for a treat. I distinctively remember her introducing the first violin - my jaw dropped - then the second one - and I couldn't stop drooling. I doubt Andrew Marr knew how much the violins were worth until after the show
biggrin.gif

I once read an interview with Anne Sophie Mutter in which she lamented not being about to afford a **second** Strad that she could use as a backup. Poor thing!

Jan 22, 2008 at 12:26 AM Post #5 of 15
I'm surprised Mutter can't afford a second Stradivarius. They're going for a few million each nowadays, but Mutter is one of the very best violinists of our time. She probably has a Guadagnini, Vuillaume or Gagliano or two to keep her Stradivarius in good company anyway
biggrin.gif

EDIT: I just did a Google search and it appears she owns two Stradivarius from the golden era. "Lucky" girl!

This is what she has to say about them:
Anne-Sophie Mutter alternately places two very different Stradivariuses under her chin. Her "Emiliani" from 1703, says Mutter, sounds "superb" but it lacks "a dimension: It has no edginess. I miss the unbridled power. I need this roughness for the eruptive moments of the Beethoven sonatas. You need it for Brahms, Sibelius and contemporary works." To meet these challenges, she plays her "Lord Dunn-Raven" Stradivarius from 1710.

Mar 10, 2008 at 2:49 AM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

Don't forget to download the commentary too (the Guadagnini vs Strad one is a serious treat)!

Mr. milk,
Just wanted to say thanks. The files have been cluttering up my download file for a couple of months, finally got around to listening and WOW!! Some good stuff here. And yes, the Guadagnini vs Strad is indeed a serious treat!

Mar 10, 2008 at 5:27 AM Post #7 of 15
Who's Tasmin Little?

Mar 10, 2008 at 7:55 AM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by ronin74 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mr. milk,
Just wanted to say thanks. The files have been cluttering up my download file for a couple of months, finally got around to listening and WOW!! Some good stuff here. And yes, the Guadagnini vs Strad is indeed a serious treat!

I'm glad you liked it!

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwitel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Who's Tasmin Little?

She's quite a well known British violinist.

Mar 10, 2008 at 1:42 PM Post #10 of 15
I'm uploading a version which I tagged myself using iTunes (ID3v2.2: composer, full track/movement names, performer, embedded album art, etc) onto megaupload.com. Give it a half hour or so. I'll put the link into the original post.

Uploaded: see original post.

Mar 10, 2008 at 4:42 PM Post #11 of 15
Thanks for sharing the link. Heading over to download...

Mar 11, 2008 at 4:47 AM Post #13 of 15
I downloaded and tagged them last night.

Very nice - Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back