Another "This or that".
Feb 15, 2012 at 10:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

MS1605

100+ Head-Fier

[size=10pt]Whats up Head-Fi,[/size]

[size=10pt] [/size]

[size=10pt]First a VERY quick introduction. My name is Mike and I have been a lover of music my whole life. My music tastes is extremely broad. In a single day I go anywhere from underground rap like tech n9ne, to some form of electronic like infected mushroom to some form of artsy music like The white stripes then over to something more hardcore like slayer. This is just a normal day for me. I love music. [/size]

[size=10pt] [/size]

[size=10pt]So my best friend knows that I love music and he is a lot like me. Unfortunately he was bit by the BEATS bug and has been trying to get me to buy them for a while now. Im not going to go to much into that. Needless to say I was not having any part of that…[/size]

[size=10pt] [/size]

[size=10pt]So Finally after years of listening to music on a crappy turntable, crappy headphones, crappy everything, I am staring to put a little money into something I love.  I started with the turntable and got an old 1200MK2. SOOO much nicer than the crap I was listening to records on.  Now it is time for headphones. [/size]

[size=10pt] [/size]

[size=10pt]After doing a few days worth of research, about 15 hours worth, this is what I have come up with. Staying under the $250 dollar mark, these seem to be my best choices;[/size]

[size=10pt] [/size]

[size=10pt]Allen Heath Xone XD-53[/size]

[size=10pt] [/size]

[size=10pt]Audio Technica ATHPRO700mk2 (Love the way these look if that means anything…)[/size]

[size=10pt] [/size]

[size=10pt]Or the classic Sony mdr 700dj[/size]

[size=10pt] [/size]

[size=10pt]I really like bigger headphones. Im not a fan of in the ear AT ALL. What do you guys think about these choices? From the reading I have done, the Xones are used by a lot of top DJs so they must be decent quality, the ATs are the ones that actually make the xones so these should be similar quality and the only downside to the sonys that I can seem to find is that they break easy. [/size]

[size=10pt] [/size]

[size=10pt]Whats your guys thoughts? Anything that I left off the list that may be better than these three that is in the price range? Thanks in advance for all the help. I hope to stick around here for a while so I can learn about upgrading my gear one piece at a time for a better listening experience![/size]

Feb 15, 2012 at 12:28 PM Post #2 of 8
For your tastes first try a pair of Audio Technica ATH-M50.  They average $140 new and are worth every penny.  They are almost always in the top 10 list for headphones.  They have very nice bass to mids and the treble is not entirely rolled off.  They are built really well and sound amazing.  I still have mine and am always surprised at how good they sound even compared to my AH-D2000.
Review:  http://www.headphone.com/headphones/audio-technica-ath-m50.php

My second suggestion to you is the V-Moda M80.  They are a little more flashy than the ATH-M50 so if it is looks and sound you are going for go no further.  They sound amazing for the price although a tad bass boosted for my long term listening tastes, are built like absolute tanks, and come with a great case.  For $50 more you can have them custom laser engrave a logo on each ear cup ( $50 for both ) which is really cool.
Review:  http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/v-moda-crossfade-m-80-and-v-80-true-blood-headphones

If you stretch you budget a tad more to $300 you can get into the beyerdynamic DT 1350 which remains one of my favorite headphones especially for travel.  They sound amazing.  Here is Tyll's review on them.
Review:  http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/awesome-beyerdynamic-dt-1350

The Beats Pro is actually a decent enough headphones measurement wise, but for the price you can do way better.  I mean they ring in at $399 new and at that price you are looking at the AH-D2000 by Denon, DT990 by beyerdynamic, and many other great headphones that are known to be world class.
Review of the Beats Pro:  http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/monster-beats-dr-dre-pro

Here is a Beats Solo Review:  http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/monster-beats-dr-dre-solo

Enjoy the reading and listening!

Feb 15, 2012 at 12:32 PM Post #3 of 8

Quote:
For your tastes first try a pair of Audio Technica ATH-M50.  They average $140 new and are worth every penny.  They are almost always in the top 10 list for headphones.  They have very nice bass to mids and the treble is not entirely rolled off.  They are built really well and sound amazing.  I still have mine and am always surprised at how good they sound even compared to my AH-D2000.
Review:  http://www.headphone.com/headphones/audio-technica-ath-m50.php

Kinda creepy. I was looking at these right now when my email rang that you posted. These look nice and have amazing reviews... 

Time to do some more reading! Thanks for your input!

Edit,

I really dont care MUCH about looks, but the AKG K 550 look dope. Looks like something Apple would make...

Can anyone suggest a reliable place to purchase as well? I hate Ebay. 

Feb 15, 2012 at 1:33 PM Post #4 of 8

I purchased my M50s from The Sound Professionals ($109) and was very happy with the service

Quote:

Can anyone suggest a reliable place to purchase as well? I hate Ebay. 

Feb 15, 2012 at 1:51 PM Post #5 of 8
Thanks Denn!

One other thing I saw. Is there any difference between the regular m50 and the m50s?

They are both the same base price but the m50 are $30 off and the m50s are $20 off. I put the specs side by side and they seem to be the same exact can. what Am I missing:

Im really digging the price and look of the m50. Price is right and I can not find a bad review on them...

Feb 15, 2012 at 2:12 PM Post #6 of 8
Only the cable is different. The "S" is for straight (my preference). Oh, and don't disconnect the mini-plug by pulling on the spring that is attached to the plug. It will become disconnected from the plug and cause annoyance. The M50s are great, most folks here love them (although there are some detractors).

Quote:
Thanks Denn!

One other thing I saw. Is there any difference between the regular m50 and the m50s?

They are both the same base price but the m50 are $30 off and the m50s are $20 off. I put the specs side by side and they seem to be the same exact can. what Am I missing:

Im really digging the price and look of the m50. Price is right and I can not find a bad review on them...

Feb 15, 2012 at 2:16 PM Post #7 of 8
And then the LE are just the limited edition silver model? nothing special with those either? They are $10 more but have no discount code. I like the black better anyways :wink:

Feb 15, 2012 at 3:36 PM Post #8 of 8
Yeah, it looks like the LE is just the silver color with the straight cable. I'm with you on black; it looks much better.

Quote:
And then the LE are just the limited edition silver model? nothing special with those either? They are $10 more but have no discount code. I like the black better anyways :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back